• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. An open world to get lost in...

User Info: Skyfiredraconus

Skyfiredraconus
7 months ago#1
Looking for some opinions here... but i'm looking for an open world rpg to get lost in.

Basically i'm looking for something with a lot of side quests and collectables. Hopefully at least a half decent battle system etc. It can be mission based but not necessary.

Something like Assassin's creed origins or skyrim. I've cleared both of those (as well as Watch dogs 2, imfamous second son and put way to many hours into ESO lol).

Giving some thought to buying witcher 3 (yes, I'm an rpg nut that never did witcher 3... i wasn't to fond of 1 and 2 other than the story/characters so i haven't hit it yet). But i'm also looking at my options.

So what do you guys think? What is a good game where you can follow the story OR pick a direction and start grabbing collectables and running into side quests/areas/etc.?

Just curious.

ty :)
PSN: Skyfiredraco
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (pawn: Kira U/C/M support mage)

User Info: kenff6

kenff6
7 months ago#2
Witcher 3 is absolutely amazing so that....

If you really don't want Witcher then maybe Dragon Age Inq? It gets a bad rap for having too many sidequests which aren't that fulfilling but I personally think it's a really good game and it received good reviews.

User Info: CaspuR

CaspuR
7 months ago#3
Replay Skyrim

User Info: GamingGod

GamingGod
7 months ago#4
Witcher 3 is the best of them
You want facts? I bring them

Skyfiredraconus
7 months ago#5
kenff6 posted...
Witcher 3 is absolutely amazing so that....

If you really don't want Witcher then maybe Dragon Age Inq? It gets a bad rap for having too many sidequests which aren't that fulfilling but I personally think it's a really good game and it received good reviews.

its a thought.

i dunno... i guess i'm wanting something a little more mindless right now for some reason lol. I've seen some gameplay/etc. for witcher (of course) and i see a lot of dialogue like mass effect's trees. I loved the ME trilogy but i remember spending like 10 hours in the citadel one time just trying to talk to everyone and mess with those talking trees and... i don't want to do that.

Right now i want to come across some side quests/caves/etc. and go hunting treasure and killing monsters... not so much finding out the motivation for an npc's cousin's second wife hiring me to hunt the thing in a 10 minute check on my speech level :P

(yea, that's hyperbole, i know... but i'm in a weird mindset right now lol).

Still, witcher 3 and dragon age so far. Makin the list :P

User Info: Scoutisabelle

Scoutisabelle
7 months ago#6
Maybe Fallout 4 or one of the Far Cry games?
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a great one.
Now playing: Nier Automata (PS4), Excitebots (Wii)

Skyfiredraconus
7 months ago#7
Scoutisabelle posted...
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a great one.

heh, note the sig ;)

haven't tried a fallout in a long time or a far cry ever... FO4 might be a thought and far cry 5 just came out... hmm... ty :)

User Info: reusbvb11

reusbvb11
7 months ago#8
Just Cause? Lmao, ffxv, and obligatory witcher 3
Dont think about the past, play life like chess. Well planned- Maadluck

User Info: gjc2007

gjc2007
7 months ago#9
Wticher 3 and Horizon, Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy 15 are good current gen ones. I haven't played them, but Just Cause 3 and the Farcry series seem like they fit the bill too.

Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Red Dead Redemption are always worth a revist.

Darksiders 1 & 2 are decent enough.

Saint's Row 4 is pure ridiculous fun.

If you liked Infamous, you might like the Prototype games too.

And I'm always going to recommend the Souls series. They aren't sandboxy, but more like a series of interconnected levels. Not so much "pick a direction" on an open field or anything, but there's plenty of exploration to be had and tons of shortcuts to be found.
Console wars are stupid

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
7 months ago#10
If you want something different, and assuming you have a PC,
get Pathologic Classic HD. It's like Planescape Torment,
basically on the same level as a Dostoevsky novel.
Some of the best story and characters in any medium,
and hey the gameplay is even more hardcore than a
roguelike, the most hardcore survival game in existence.
It's open world, but it's a densely packed town, instead
of a bunch of huge cities and endless fields.

Just keep in mind that if you play it, you'll be trapped,
you'll try to tell people about the game, but for some
reason it never works. You will be the only one who
knows about this game.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. An open world to get lost in...
  • Topic Archived