I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

User Info: KittyBillionair

KittyBillionair
8 months ago#11
TrueAnarchist posted...
KittyBillionair posted...
TrueAnarchist posted...
You're never going to get full speed through WiFi, regardless of the device. Even a 5Ghz connection isn't going to achieve the full effect.

The only way to get full advertised speed and low latency is via ethernet.

Even plugged in, PS4 is slower than other devices.

Me personally, I have a WiFi extender and PS4 plugged into that.

While it is definitely true that PS4 is has a poorer connection than, say, a laptop, or even an Xbox, the point still stands.

A WiFi extender also doesn't really cut out the WiFi connection. It's a middleman. To get closest to the speeds you pay for, you're going to have to hardwire directly into the router or modem. This has always been the case. (Though, unfortunately, this is obviously not feasible in all home setups.)

I know
http://i.imgur.com/EzxCkfq.gif http://i.imgur.com/FQAxIv6.gif
Never trust a republican. Also no such thing as an SJW, but only bigots and non-bigots.

User Info: supertecmobowl

supertecmobowl
8 months ago#12
GoodOlJr posted...
Sounds about right sorry

Thanks @GoodOlJr
Favorite NFL Teams: Cowboys/Rams.

User Info: GoodOlJr

GoodOlJr
8 months ago#13
supertecmobowl posted...
GoodOlJr posted...
Sounds about right sorry

Thanks @GoodOlJr

Lol no problem

Sony isn't going to match your download speed, their infrastructure isn't as strong as ms or steam
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3475/3291766630_b434e97925.jpg
3DS: 1005-8921-6109

supertecmobowl
8 months ago#14
But I have the ps4 pro!? I can't believe the wifi on this system is s***.

User Info: ILovePancakes

ILovePancakes
8 months ago#15
spectrum the goat
I'm way too cold, get the theraflu

User Info: THE_J_O_K_3_R

THE_J_O_K_3_R
8 months ago#16
The internet speed on a ps4 is strangled. You'll never get the speeds you're meant to get, even with an ethernet cable. It's just how the online system is on a ps4.
You can't spell over reacting without ovary.

supertecmobowl
8 months ago#17
THE_J_O_K_3_R posted...
The internet speed on a ps4 is strangled. You'll never get the speeds you're meant to get, even with an ethernet cable. It's just how the online system is on a ps4.

Good to know, thanks.

User Info: LordEverton

LordEverton
8 months ago#18
Not just in ps4.

Most internet providers say "up to" in their speeds. They are never guaranteed.

Nobody does but if you read the service agreements you're given it even says in there "our services are not guaranteed to work."
I'm a shipping merchant who raises fancy dogs. That's the life.

User Info: Thermador446

Thermador446
8 months ago#19
supertecmobowl posted...
I ordered high speed internet from my cable company. They gave me a new modem and router, but as I checked my internet speed on my ps4 pro it's capped at 117 mbps? Why? I'm supposed to have 300 mbps!

Because there are millions of people online!
You think you are better becausecyou have a faster connection?

Do you just go into restraunt s & expect an immediate seat?
Do you go to vegas & rent a Lamborghini with the intention of approaching 200mph on the strip?
"While you were wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I was systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!" -The Monarch

User Info: Rayder

Rayder
8 months ago#20
The PS4's speed test is highly inaccurate, it will almost always report slower than what you actually get, especially if you're wired. I made multiple test reports and it floats anywhere from 40mbps to 80mbps. Just download some large game and see how many megs per second it's actually getting.

I have 100mbps internet, but actually get about 120mbps when downloading from PSN. I see the numbers move at 14-15megs per second.

I'm wired to my PS4 Pro. Wireless will always be slower due to wireless security encryption.

Also, if you have an original PS4 model, it has a crappy LAN card in it compared to a slim or pro. The OG's will always be slower.

Then there's the fact that PSN will speed up and slow down based on their server load.
I play games, not count frames. Just make the games fun to play again, like they used to be in previous gens.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived