I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

User Info: supertecmobowl

supertecmobowl
4 months ago#21
Rayder posted...
The PS4's speed test is highly inaccurate, it will almost always report slower than what you actually get, especially if you're wired. I made multiple test reports and it floats anywhere from 40mbps to 80mbps. Just download some large game and see how many megs per second it's actually getting.

I have 100mbps internet, but actually get about 120mbps when downloading from PSN. I see the numbers move at 14-15megs per second.

I'm wired to my PS4 Pro. Wireless will always be slower due to wireless security encryption.

Also, if you have an original PS4 model, it has a crappy LAN card in it compared to a slim or pro. The OG's will always be slower.

Then there's the fact that PSN will speed up and slow down based on their server load.

That's good! You mean, I'm getting faster than 117? Good.
Favorite NFL Teams: Cowboys/Rams.

supertecmobowl
4 months ago#22
All my devices, my phone, tablets, pc are 300mbps. The only thing that's not is my ps4 pro- 117mbps.

User Info: NSGraphite

NSGraphite
4 months ago#23
I too have 300mbs internet speed. My PS4 Pro is wired into my router and the fastest speed I have ever seen from it is 130mbs. Averave is about 110.
My last signature got erased, so I put this here instead.

User Info: hrj

hrj
4 months ago#24
supertecmobowl posted...
But I have the ps4 pro!? I can't believe the wifi on this system is s***.

It's not s*** but it definitely could be better.
Though, if you think it's bad on the pro, be thankful you don't have the original PS4. Now THAT has s*** WiFi.
PSN/GT - Hennaboy

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
4 months ago#25
TrueAnarchist posted...
You're never going to get full speed through WiFi, regardless of the device. Even a 5Ghz connection isn't going to achieve the full effect.

The only way to get full advertised speed and low latency is via ethernet.

Not true. I get my full advertised speed, and sometimes even higher, on my phone with ~20ms latency

supertecmobowl
4 months ago#26
NSGraphite posted...
I too have 300mbs internet speed. My PS4 Pro is wired into my router and the fastest speed I have ever seen from it is 130mbs. Averave is about 110.

@NSGraphite

Thanks. I didn't know.

User Info: wiseguy100

wiseguy100
4 months ago#27
My provider gives me, 250mbps down and 30 upload speeds. On my PS4 Pro on 5ghz wifi, in an upstairs room, router is downstairs...

...I get the full 30 up and around 240-245 download speeds.

Guess i’m one of the lucky ones...

...or, someone who actually knows how to setup router settings.

User Info: densetsu86

densetsu86
4 months ago#28
Sigh... Why don't people know how internet works? Why?

First if you are with a cable company your 300mbps is not a guarantee. Peak times you are going to get less because of how the hub works.

Second your download relies on the service you are connecting to upload and what ever its congestion is.

Third If other people are using internet in your house then you won't get the full speed.

Plenty of times I got the full speed of my isp (granted I don't have 300mbps I have 120mbps).

It really depends on the time of day your peak hour is for your cable in as well as peak hour for that particular server you are accessing. All of these play apart in your connection speed. Just because you pay for 300mbps does not mean you are guaranteed that.

User Info: Dempig

Dempig
4 months ago#29
Youll never ever get advertised speeds with internet on any platform. Its been like this since 2400 baud modems on aol

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
4 months ago#30
Dempig posted...
Youll never ever get advertised speeds with internet on any platform. Its been like this since 2400 baud modems on aol

I regularly get faster than advertised on Steam and Origin. I generally sit within 1-2mbps of my 100mbps on every device except the PlayStation and Switch.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I just got 300mbps internet speed at home, but my ps4 is capped at 117mbps?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived