How did Devs cope back in the day without the ability to Patch a game ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. How did Devs cope back in the day without the ability to Patch a game ?

User Info: BruceLee1974

BruceLee1974
3 months ago#1
You see so many patches for games these days, some are to improve the gameplay or add things to it, but many of them are to fix problems with the game they released.

I used to play games on Snes, Ps1, Ps2, Dreamcast and dont remember too many games that were broken or needed patching, so why are devs so reckless these days needing at least 1 patch for each game ?

User Info: New_Username

New_Username
3 months ago#2
BruceLee1974 posted...
You see so many patches for games these days, some are to improve the gameplay or add things to it, but many of them are to fix problems with the game they released.

I used to play games on Snes, Ps1, Ps2, Dreamcast and dont remember too many games that were broken or needed patching, so why are devs so reckless these days needing at least 1 patch for each game ?

Stupid question if you think about it.

User Info: Sheepinator

Sheepinator
3 months ago#3
Then: single core CPU, small team, simpler game with fewer moving parts.

Now: dev team ten times larger, multi-core processors, multiple engines and third party libraries.
Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only.

User Info: BlueDsc

BlueDsc
3 months ago#4
Because it wasn't possible to patch a game once it was released Publishers were less likely to make Developers release a broken game.

Also you had Capcom releasing several updated versions of Street Fighter.

User Info: Billysan

Billysan
3 months ago#5
Some games got updated with out people noticing it but it wasn't super common. Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime is an example.

Other games received new updates most fighting games did this and some of the past Resident Evil and Square-Enix games did this.

But it's true developers are abusing patches now days but at the same time making games has gotten for more complex.

Most of the publishers/devs who make a lot of use of patches now, were already publishers/developers who would release buggy games though.
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/

User Info: Billo

Billo
3 months ago#6
The devs who release buggy games now did it even before patches were a thing. Bethesda's games were always buggy.
Ubisoft games were always buggy. I had to start PoP: Warrior Within from the start right before the final battle because there was glitch in which a pole you needed to swing across with would not appear and there was no way to progress. And since there was no way to patch it, you just had to pray it didn't happen to you or you'd be starting the game over.

User Info: LegoLeonidas

LegoLeonidas
3 months ago#7
Simple. They did their best, then sent their little project out into the world. If they didn't do a great job, we wound up with a game with small glitches or exploits. If they did a piss-poor job, the game was unplayable trash. Release enough trash, and your reputation goes in the toilet. It was kinda like "survival of the fittest."
Nowadays, with the ability to patch away problems, the devs have an "easy mode." Which means a lot of games that might have ended up in the bargain bin(or trash) years ago might actually have a shot now.
"I have nightmares about Hell, where all I do is add up numbers and try to have conversations with people like you." - Bob the Skull

User Info: wolfwing

wolfwing
3 months ago#8
There has always been buggy games, know a few that were unbeatable if you got hit by a bug, you either couldn't finish them, or just tried again.
PSN wolfwing

User Info: BruceLee1974

BruceLee1974
3 months ago#9
I can understand teams being bigger these days along with graphics being better so its easier to notice things, but to me its if devs just say "who cares if the games not fully tested" and just wait for the game releases to the public and wait for us to test it.

Its like we are doing their job for them in some cases.

User Info: Billo

Billo
3 months ago#10
BruceLee1974 posted...
I can understand teams being bigger these days along with graphics being better so its easier to notice things, but to me its if devs just say "who cares if the games not fully tested" and just wait for the game releases to the public and wait for us to test it.

Its like we are doing their job for them in some cases.

Well when an Early Access game becomes the best selling title of the year it's hard to blame devs at that point.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. How did Devs cope back in the day without the ability to Patch a game ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived