• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Yes another NW-31294-9 thread

User Info: mykeyboard2

mykeyboard2
2 years ago#11
I FIXED IT!!

Bear with me cause it took 2 hours. Long story short: I connected to the guest wifi setting and logged in through the PS4 web-browser (like you'd do in a coffee shop /plane).

In case anyone wants to replicate this process, these are the many many many steps I went through. I've removed the swearing and aggravated sighs to keep it short.

My router came with 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands, and a guest network. I name my WiFi 'TidyWry', meaning that the PS4 shows two options for WiFI connect: 'TidyWry' (which would be the 2.4ghz channel) and 'TidyWry-Guest'.

Every attempt to connect to TidyWry resulted in the NW-31294-9 error.

I read through all the forums. This same tip kept coming up about changing the DNS and MTU settings. THIS DOES NOT WORK

Maybe there is a firmware update, I said, so I streeeetched an ethernet cable across the room. Side note: not everyone has the ability to hardwire the PS4 to ethernet because of #interiordesign.

There was an update. Still did not work.

I restarted the PS4 in safe mode and did a disc cleanup and rebooted all settings. Still did not work.

Worried that maybe the PS4 was trying to connect to the 5ghz channel on 'TidyWry' I used my laptop to change the 2.4ghz channel on my router to 'PlaystationTime'. This way there would be no confusion on what channel I was trying. No good.

Tried the guest login.... and it got past the IP Secured state in connection but not the Connect to Internet state. Remembered there's a webbrowser in PS4. Set up a password on my laptop. Tried connecting through the browser. Bingo Bango I got internet!!! Played one game of Overwatch. Lost. Went to bed.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all the responses.

User Info: Ishbar

Ishbar
2 years ago#12
I just got this router:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-max-stream-ac1900-dual-band-wireless-router-with-4-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-black/4830200.p?skuId=4830200

I have two PS4s in the same room (mine and my girlfriends). Her PS4 is the 2nd gen, which connects fine. My PS4 is the 1st gen, which will give me this error. It WILL connect without a passkey / password on the network, which means it's some kind of issue with how it authenticates.

It fails to grab an IP when connecting with WPA2/WPA Mixed, or just WPA2. I also was able to see the router via WPS, but it populates the NW-31294-9 error, every. single. time.

This is pretty frustrating, and although 'mykeyboard2' has a 'work-around', by using their guest network, this is still a non-solution for the overall issue.

I'm going to try rolling back the router firmware, and see where that gets me. My PS4 is on the latest firmware. I even initialized it and it still doesn't work...which really...really sucks.

User Info: mykeyboard2

mykeyboard2
2 years ago#13
Definitely let me know if you find any solutions... don’t really want to wait on Sony eventually maybe fixing this
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Yes another NW-31294-9 thread
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers