Favorite "Yakuza" game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Favorite "Yakuza" game?

User Info: FullMetalPanic

FullMetalPanic
9 months ago#1
Which entry in the Yakuza series is your favorite? - Results (95 votes)
Yakuza 0
52.63% (50 votes)
Yakuza 1/Kiwami
3.16% (3 votes)
Yakuza 2/kiwami 2
18.95% (18 votes)
Yakuza 3
7.37% (7 votes)
Yakuza 4
8.42% (8 votes)
Yakuza 5
3.16% (3 votes)
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
1.05% (1 vote)
Yakuza: Dead Souls
5.26% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Vote!
http://psnprofiles.com/MrCiel
Physicalgames Enthusiast

User Info: Bloody_Sky

Bloody_Sky
9 months ago#2
I am currently playing Kiwami (never played the original 2), and I have yet to play 6 (waiting for the US release). But out of the ones I have beaten so far (Zero, 3, 4, 5 and Dead Souls), I would have to say 4 is my favorite so far. I really like the story to that game. I love how they tied in all the characters finally getting together in the end. I thought they did that better in 4 than they did in 5. But I might be a bit biased because Yakuza 4 was my first game into the series, so it holds a special place in my heart. I'd have to say Zero is my 2nd favorite. The story to that game is just sooo good, IMO.
Stop reading my sig, you creep. No really... Stop it.
I said stop! HELP! Stranger danger!

User Info: nononoyesyesyes

nononoyesyesyes
9 months ago#3
gonna go out on a limb and say black panther 1 or 2...
but leaning towards 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbBI0zPqLM4
ive just always preferred portable titles.

note:
regardless of popularity/region, if you want home console comparisons i feel you should include ishin and kenzan.

as far as your poll...
3 is my soft spot due to my entry to the series.
i feel alot of people are gonna rag on dead souls since its a departure/spinoff, but i liked it.

User Info: pb409

pb409
9 months ago#4
Yakuza 2 is my favorite, followed by 0. I cannot wait for Kiwami 2. I also really liked 3 and wouldn't mind a Kiwami 3.

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
9 months ago#5
nononoyesyesyes posted...
3 is my soft spot due to my entry to the series.

I actually started with the first on PS2, but 3 is also my soft spot. It lacks the features and content of later ones, but the characters are the best in 3. Rikiya. The tears, man!
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com

User Info: LJRENEGADE

LJRENEGADE
9 months ago#6
My favorites go something like this

0 = 1 = 2 > 5 > 3 >>>>> 4 > Kiwami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dead Souls

Probably in the minority with some of these though
Dead Souls is the only one that I think is trash
Haven't played through 6, Kenzan, or Ishin yet

6's story seems interesting so far. Kenzan has a good story but the gameplay kinda sucks, not sure if it gets better. Haven't played through Ishin, but the gameplay is pretty fun.

Dead Souls was extremely boring. It had some cool ideas, but the gameplay was just dull. In a place like Kamurocho where there's so many various stores and the fact that Yakuza is a game series that has melee focused gameplay, I think a Dead Rising rip off would have worked way better. They could've added a huge amount of melee weapons and expanded on how they work, then implemented those changes in the later games.

Or if they really wanted to go the gun route, I'd at least preferred an RE4 type game or something instead of the weird gunplay that we actually got.

User Info: ThePatrick

ThePatrick
9 months ago#7
2 was amazing and improved over 1 in exactly the ways it needed to. Of course it will feel dated now but if you can read Japanese and have PS3 the HD female is heaven with its shortened load times and ability to juggle items at save points instead of Item Boxes and stuff. A gem.

Kenyan! was my favorite for a while there but when the 1&2 HD collection came out it reminded me of 2's awesomeness and I even rewrote the guide. I almost finished 1's rewrite but I got life issues take over before I could translate the mission cinemas and I suck. The guide for 1 is abysmal and I don't recommend anyone look at it.

Having said that the action was arguable best in 4.

Anyway, I still feel like the series got more and more bogged down with extra stuff and getting 100% was pretty rough as a result of sluggish interaction and load times and repetitive and frustrating games of chance and stuff.

But I digress. These days I just don't have time for these leviathan games anymore but the series is great and I recommend any except maybe 1 and Dead Souls, though I know people who loved that title, too.
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
9 months ago#8
LJRENEGADE posted...
Kenzan has a good story but the gameplay kinda sucks, not sure if it gets better.

I just finished it recently. Gameplay remains the same throughout the game for the most part. I couldn't do a lot of the side quests without markers, but it's easy to tell that this came out before Yakuza 3. Doesn't quite have the same polish. I'd still play it again if it ever came with English subs though.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com

User Info: mid31

mid31
9 months ago#9
0, 2, 4, 5, 1, Kiwami, Of the End, 3.

It's not that 3 is bad, Okinawa was an interesting location... I just happen to like everything else over it. Of the End is hated by a lot of people but I had lots of fun with it. I liked how they just messed around with zombies and gatling gun arms. It was nice to see Goda again.

I played maybe around the first half of Kurohyou (PSP) and the demo of its sequel. Can't really rank it. Haven't played Kenzan and still waiting for my copy of Ishin to arrive.

User Info: nononoyesyesyes

nononoyesyesyes
9 months ago#10
much thanks @ ThePatrick for the guides regardless.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Favorite "Yakuza" game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived