• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
4 months ago#351
1) You don't need to format via PC. Doing the format via PS4 is what you'd have to do in any case.

2) No idea, I don't think the fan gets louder. Might be placebo effect. I wouldn't worry about it.

3) You don't need to unmount drive on shutdown. You can choose to put the system in rest mode or even full shutdown with the drive still plugged in and mounted. The PS4 will automatically power the drive on/off accordingly and it can download to the drive while in rest mode.

Lastly - there are no issues with moving games across. Just move them, it's way faster. There's no need to re-download them.

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
4 months ago#352
Optimal hard drive read/ write speeds are in the 100-200 MB/s. It will be lower if the data is non sequential, aka many small files.

My download speed caps out at 20MB/s and it is considered one of the faster plans available.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
Come visit The Range http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1003-

User Info: kaitoukid28

kaitoukid28
3 months ago#353
Can you use the external hard drive for two different playstations with the same account?

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
3 months ago#354
kaitoukid28 posted...
Can you use the external hard drive for two different playstations with the same account?

Yes. you can actually plug a formatted for storage external HDD into any PS4 and it will load up just fine. But you will need to sign into whichever account the digital games you have on the drive were purchased on to play them. and obviously you still need the discs for physical games.
Just tell it to call you "Billy"...
https://i.imgtc.com/q17bfpM.gif

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
2 months ago#355
Could I use one of these hard drives to store a bunch of s*** from my PC, then format it for the PS4, and still have access to the PC files?

Example: Could I put a bunch of movies on this drive, from my PC, and be able to watch them using the PS4?

Thanks.
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
2 months ago#356
^nope. if you format a drive for extended storage on PS4, then that drive can only be used on a PS4.
Just tell it to call you "Billy"...
https://i.imgtc.com/q17bfpM.gif

AlphaOmega786
2 months ago#357
WhillB posted...
Could I use one of these hard drives to store a bunch of s*** from my PC, then format it for the PS4, and still have access to the PC files?

Example: Could I put a bunch of movies on this drive, from my PC, and be able to watch them using the PS4?

Thanks.

Nope.

Any time you format any drive using any device, you'll always lose all the data you had on there before the format anyway. That's what a format does, it's part of the process to wipe the previous data.

If you set the drive up as PS4 extended storage, you can only use it as PS4 extended storage - this is for games only.

If you have a bunch of movies on your PC, you can download Plex on your PC (it's free) and add those folders to the Plex library. Download Plex to your PS4 (again free) and it will pick up your PC and the folders you added to Plex.

You can then just stream all the files from your PC to your PS4, without having to copy or move them anywhere. You can do this for movies, music, TV shows and pictures.

I use Plex all the time to access all my media from my PC.

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
2 months ago#358
AlphaOmega786 posted...
WhillB posted...

Thanks.

Nope.

Any time you format any drive using any device, you'll always lose all the data you had on there before the format anyway. That's what a format does, it's part of the process to wipe the previous data.

If you set the drive up as PS4 extended storage, you can only use it as PS4 extended storage - this is for games only.

If you have a bunch of movies on your PC, you can download Plex on your PC (it's free) and add those folders to the Plex library. Download Plex to your PS4 (again free) and it will pick up your PC and the folders you added to Plex.

You can then just stream all the files from your PC to your PS4, without having to copy or move them anywhere. You can do this for movies, music, TV shows and pictures.

I use Plex all the time to access all my media from my PC.

Nice! I'll have a look into that!

Thanks.
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: gotexas872

gotexas872
2 months ago#359
Best setup for extended storage? I've read that PS4 can't even use the benefit of SDD speeds from an Internal Drive such as the Samsung Evo I am interested in. Or is there a limit to what to buy in a SDD to take advantage of Old Gen PS4? I've only played the same 4 or 5 games the past 3 years but what to include at least 20 more to my line up now to game with other friends with the same games. I've read a lot about the Seagate SSHD as being the best all-around upgrade but also read that it dies quickly. My main factors are 1) Price 2) Storage Amount 3) Performance 4) Reliability. My two current interest are below:

1. Seagate 2TB Internal SSHD + PS4 Original HDD as External Storage ($80/no tax included)

or

2. Samsung EVO 860 256 GB Internal SSD + 2TB WD 4G External Storage ($95/no tax included)
PSN - x___APOLLYON___x Youtube - Daniel Plainview

AlphaOmega786
2 months ago#360
Go with option 2.

Don't use SSHDs, they're pointless. Some PS4 games really can benefit from SSDs, while others notice small improvements.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro
  • Topic Archived