• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

User Info: asad

asad
7 months ago#321
Ok finally got orico enclosue and placed seagate 4tb 3.5" drive but it's 5400 or maybe 5900rpm drive and tested witcher with internal 2tb sshd firecuda and loading time result is same.

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
7 months ago#322
asad posted...
Ok finally got orico enclosue and placed seagate 4tb 3.5" drive but it's 5400 or maybe 5900rpm drive and tested witcher with internal 2tb sshd firecuda and loading time result is same.

SSHDs are pretty much the same as normal Hard Drives.

That's why.

asad
7 months ago#323
AlphaOmega786 posted...
asad posted...

That's why.

Yeah right, what about 3.5" 7200rpm hdd?

AlphaOmega786
7 months ago#324
asad posted...
AlphaOmega786 posted...
asad posted...

That's why.

Yeah right, what about 3.5" 7200rpm hdd?

7200rpm is naturally faster than 5400rpm. It's a decent difference but not huge.

User Info: TheDeathKnight

TheDeathKnight
7 months ago#325
Sorry if this question is straight forward, but I want to be cautious, considering the chance of the external hard drive getting corrupted.

With the external hard drive method in Post #1, talking specifically about how unplugging the USB abruptly can potentially corrupt it, can you still unplug it when the system is off, then plug it in again before switching it back on without concern? Or do you have to use the "stop using extended storage" even for this?

AlphaOmega786
7 months ago#326
TheDeathKnight posted...
Sorry if this question is straight forward, but I want to be cautious, considering the chance of the external hard drive getting corrupted.

With the external hard drive method in Post #1, talking specifically about how unplugging the USB abruptly can potentially corrupt it, can you still unplug it when the system is off, then plug it in again before switching it back on without concern? Or do you have to use the "stop using extended storage" even for this?

I think you can simply unplug it when the system is off - but that's off, not rest mode.

It's while the system is on or in rest mode, that you have to use the "stop using extended storage" option.

As I said, I think this is the case. I haven't tested it since the original video.

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
7 months ago#327
you CAN simply unplug an external if you turn the system all the way off.

to safely unplug an external any other way, you have to hold down the PS button and choose the "stop using external storage" option in the quick menu.

However, while you aren't supposed to unplug an external without using any of those methods, if something does happen (power goes out, accidental disconnection) it doesn't necessarily mean that your external is corrupted. I've had the power go out a few times with an external connected and all that happened when I turned the PS4 back on is once it got back to the main menu it told me I had to "repair" the external to use it again. It took less than a minute and afterward everything worked fine, no data was lost.
Just tell it to call you "Billy"...
https://i.imgtc.com/q17bfpM.gif

asad
7 months ago#328
CrimsonGear80 posted...

to safely unplug an external any other way, you have to hold down the PS button and choose the "stop using external storage" option in the quick menu.

However, while you aren't supposed to unplug an external without using any of those methods, if something does happen (power goes out, accidental disconnection) it doesn't necessarily mean that your external is corrupted. I've had the power go out a few times with an external connected and all that happened when I turned the PS4 back on is once it got back to the main menu it told me I had to "repair" the external to use it again. It took less than a minute and afterward everything worked fine, no data was lost.

I lost all the data from the internal hdd because it didn't shutdown properly 4 times and i had no option left but to format full hdd and download all the games again.

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
7 months ago#329
asad posted...
CrimsonGear80 posted...

I lost all the data from the internal hdd because it didn't shutdown properly 4 times and i had no option left but to format full hdd and download all the games again.

Unlucky. That's never happened to me, with the internal or external drives.
Just tell it to call you "Billy"...
https://i.imgtc.com/q17bfpM.gif

User Info: TheDeathKnight

TheDeathKnight
7 months ago#330
I've lost power plenty of times on my internal, but it's never been corrupted. It does perform a recovery though the next time you start it up (which finishes much faster than PS3's recovery). I assume it's the same with an external in such cases then.

Anyhow, thanks for the answers.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro
  • Topic Archived