• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

User Info: The_Ecstatic329

The_Ecstatic329
2 years ago#31
Hey guys I got a question,

I'm about to buy a 2 TB Seagate external hard drive for my launch PS4 model. It has all the requirements to install so I should be good. Now my question is... can I only have GAME INSTALLS go to my external hard drive and my SAVE STATES stay on my PS4 stock hard drive? If this already occurs by default than thanks. I'm not exactly tech savvy haha. But I'd prefer aving my game saves staying on my system and just my Game data installs on the external hard drive as that's why I'm upgrading (tired of deleting game data to create room for new installs).

User Info: JustSnilloc

JustSnilloc
2 years ago#32
I'm curious about load times in comparison to the native hard drive. Are the external ones roughly the same? Slower? Faster?
[J.S.] The Lost King ---> http://justsnilloc.proboards.com/
~~~~ 0====[[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::x::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::}}====0 ~~~~

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
2 years ago#33
The_Ecstatic329 posted...

I'm about to buy a 2 TB Seagate external hard drive for my launch PS4 model. It has all the requirements to install so I should be good. Now my question is... can I only have GAME INSTALLS go to my external hard drive and my SAVE STATES stay on my PS4 stock hard drive? If this already occurs by default than thanks. I'm not exactly tech savvy haha. But I'd prefer aving my game saves staying on my system and just my Game data installs on the external hard drive as that's why I'm upgrading (tired of deleting game data to create room for new installs).

Yes, save data remains on the system. Games will automatically install to the external drive once you set it up the first time. Follow the video in the first post. Takes a minute to do.

AlphaOmega786
2 years ago#34
JustSnilloc posted...
I'm curious about load times in comparison to the native hard drive. Are the external ones roughly the same? Slower? Faster?

They're pretty much the same, or very very similar. You'd hardly notice a difference. In most cases, the external is actually slightly faster.

User Info: The_Ecstatic329

The_Ecstatic329
2 years ago#35
AlphaOmega786 posted...
The_Ecstatic329 posted...

Yes, save data remains on the system. Games will automatically install to the external drive once you set it up the first time. Follow the video in the first post. Takes a minute to do.

Excellent, thanks! I didn't know about the disconnecting it. It makes sense as it's an external drive doing a sae exit. But didn't know PS4's got it. I appreciate the response!

EDIT: Will my current games install to the External Hard Drive of my stock HD? Or will they stay on there and the external just adds to it? I only ask because if it does so I'll leave my system on to install all the games.

AlphaOmega786
2 years ago#36
The current games you have installed on the system will remain there but you can move them to the external drive, if you want. Go to settings, then storage, then applications, then click the games you want and move them to external.

User Info: Slayer1

Slayer1
2 years ago#37
If later I decide to use the hard drive for my PC, can I format it back for PC use?
Paine's songstress CT

AlphaOmega786
2 years ago#38
Slayer1 posted...
If later I decide to use the hard drive for my PC, can I format it back for PC use?

Yes.

User Info: zombiehunting84

zombiehunting84
2 years ago#39
Since you cant use 2 external HD on the ps4 to tranfer data, can i plug them into a PC and tranfer the data that way?
PSN: ThePixies
Friend Code: 0576-6779-2137 Predator87

AlphaOmega786
2 years ago#40
zombiehunting84 posted...
Since you cant use 2 external HD on the ps4 to tranfer data, can i plug them into a PC and tranfer the data that way?

No.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro
  • Topic Archived