[How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

User Info: theneovega

theneovega
1 month ago#161
1. Yes, as long as the console is completely powered down (not in stand-by) this is effectively the same as stopping the storage device with the console powered on.

2.) You can plug the storage into the PS4 at any time, no need to power down the console.

I just wanted to add my recent experience upgrading my OG PS4's internal from 500GB to 2TB in hopes it might help someone. Using a different external hard drive than my external storage drive I performed a full backup (which, of course, only backed up the contents of the internal). After swapping the drives and installing the full (there are two downloads, one around 400MB, and one around 900MB, you'll need the larger one) firmware image from Sony's website, I restored from backup and verified nothing was lost in the process. I then activated the PS4 as my primary console and restored purchases in the settings menu. The system recognized the external storage immediately and I was able to move everything from the external to the internal.

My purpose in doing the was to free up my USB ports, as well as removing the possibility of data corruption due to accidental removal or power loss. I now use the old external storage drive to host my PS4 backup
Think laterally, you are not above anything you have not climbed
"Serious gamers take themselves way too seriously."
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: WarBeagle

WarBeagle
2 weeks ago#162
After properly disconnecting an external HDD, can it be plugged right into another PS4 or does it require formatting it to that machine somehow.

My guess is it plugs right in but I want to verify.
"come on Max. Let's go before more of them show up" he started up the car and drove to Arizona.

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
2 weeks ago#163
WarBeagle posted...
After properly disconnecting an external HDD, can it be plugged right into another PS4 or does it require formatting it to that machine somehow.

Pretty sure it plugs right in.
"Why you eyin' my lemon drink?"
http://i.imgur.com/84F6B2e.gif Switch FC: 0888-0797-5379

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
2 weeks ago#164
WarBeagle posted...

You can plug it into another PS4. No need to format

User Info: WarBeagle

WarBeagle
2 weeks ago#165
That's what I thought. Thanks boys.
"come on Max. Let's go before more of them show up" he started up the car and drove to Arizona.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
4 days ago#166
I wish that it was grammatically cleaner, too much of it assumes we know which hard drive he is talking about, rather than be specific.

As an informational post, redundancy in descriptors should not be left out.

I have absolutely no more information now, than I did before I read it, since it seems to tell me that I can only use an 8TB drive, if I do something that he has been doing for 3 years, which I am not exactly sure of the method, due to missing information.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
3 days ago#167
ApexMjolnir posted...
I wish that it was grammatically cleaner, too much of it assumes we know which hard drive he is talking about, rather than be specific.

As an informational post, redundancy in descriptors should not be left out.

I have absolutely no more information now, than I did before I read it, since it seems to tell me that I can only use an 8TB drive, if I do something that he has been doing for 3 years, which I am not exactly sure of the method, due to missing information.

I think the problem you're having here, is caused by the stick that's lodged up your ass. It seems to be an ongoing issue for you, prevalent over several years now.

I suggest getting it surgically removed.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.