You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
1 year ago#1
This guide tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about connecting an external drive to your PS4 in Post #1 and connecting an internal drive in Post #2.

These methods works with any and all models of the PS4, starting from launch. So, you can do this setup with your original PS4, your PS4 Slim and your PS4 Pro.

Video Guide (check video description for retailer links). Here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPidn3KEFhE

Setting Up Your Drive -

1. Plug it into the PS4 using USB cable. It's not necessary to format the drive first, (I didn't need to), but you can format it first if you want to. (See below - How to Format)

2. Go to Settings, then Devices, then click USB Storage Devices. Select your drive, click Format as Extended Storage and follow the onscreen instructions to get the drive setup.

3. After the drive is setup, go into Settings, then Storage. You'll now see both the system storage and the external drive that you've just connected. Click options and choose where you want the applications (games) to be installed by default. This selection will then automatically install games to the option that you've chosen.

4. Congratulations, you're all good to go. The whole process takes about a minute.

Disconnecting Your Drive -

1. If for any reason you want to unplug your external drive, do not just unplug it from the USB! This can corrupt the data on the drive and will require a repair. Don't do this!!

2. First hold down the PS button on your controller. Then click Sound and Devices. Now click Stop Using Extended Storage. You will see a message confirming that it's safe to remove your device.

3. Now you can unplug your drive. This whole process takes 5 seconds.

Formatting Your Drive -

1. This step is not neccessary, at least it wasn't for the drives that I tested with, which is why I'm only including it as additional information. But if you want to format your drive yourself, you'll obviously have to do that first, before doing the steps above.

2. Plug your drive into your PC. Find it in your list of drives. Right click it and click Format.

3. Make sure to select exFAT from File System and select Default allocation size, also make sure to check the Quick Format box. Then click start.

4. Your drive is now formatted and ready to be plugged into your PS4. This whole process takes a minute. As far as I know, it's not a necessary step to format your drive.

Which Drives You Can Use -

1. You can use both external and internal drives as Extended Storage for your PS4. Yes, both internal and external drives can be used for this method. So, if you already have an internal drive lying around, you won't need to buy a new drive, you can just buy an Enclosure.

2. All external drives MUST be USB 3.0 or higher. All internal drives MUST support USB 3.0 or higher and MUST be placed inside a USB 3.0 (or higher) Enclosure.

3. You can use external and internal, 2.5 inch drives and 3.5 inch drives. In all cases, drives and/or enclosures MUST USB 3.0 or higher, as explained above, in Step 2.

4. You can use any drives up to 8TB. This is confirmed in the official update notes and tested by many users.

5. Please check the video description of the video linked at the top of this page. Here you will find retailer links to suggested drives and enclosures
(edited 1 year ago)

AlphaOmega786
1 year ago#2
This guide will show you how to connect internal 2.5 and 3.5 inch internal drives, to your PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, by doing a small bypass. Note - with the addition of extended storage, it's not necessary to do this method, because it's easier to just buy an external drive and set it up, as described in step 1. But if you want to have up to 8TB of internal memory for your PS4, you can follow the steps below. You can also add up to 8TB of extended storage as well, for a massive 16TB of total storage!

Please ignore the part of the video where I said you will lose rest mode, after the latest updates, you will NOT lose rest mode, no matter which method you choose to follow!

Video Guide (check video description for retailer links). Here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7q_qNYiV1I

New Method -

1. This method allows you to hook up any 2.5 inch drive to the PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, regardless of the thickness of the drive. So you can even use 12.5mm and 15mm drives with this method.

2. The benefit of this method is that it's a much more convenient setup, easier and with less cables involved. Cleaner overall setup.

3. The only downside to this method is that as of January 2017, you are limited to a maximum storage space of 5TB in the 2.5 inch form factor. I'm sure this will increase as technology advances, but for now 5TB is the max you can go in a 2.5 inch drive (unless you spend thousands of $$$$ on a 6TB or 8TB SSD lol)

4. Other than buying the drive and the PS4 (obviously), you only need to purchase one single cable for this method, which makes this very convenient and easy to do. No external power source necessary. PS4 controls everything, including powering the drive on.

5. The cable you need is a SATA Extension Cable which extends both the Power and the Data port of the PS4's SATA controller, so that you can hook up your drive to it. Connect your cable, use electrical tape, regular tape or cable ties to fasten it down.

What you will need for the New Method - PS4 console, Hard Drive and 1 Sata Extension Cable

Old Method -

1. This is the original method that I posted around 3 years ago, which showed me hooking up a 6TB 3.5 inch hard drive to my PS4. I've been using the same drive/PS4 setup for the last 3 years without any issues at all.

2. I've now tested this method with my PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, I can confirm that it works perfectly fine with both of those consoles as well.

3. The benefit of this method is that you can use 3TB, 4TB, 6TB and 8TB drives, all of those storage sizes are confirmed to work.

4. For this method you need a SATA Extension Cable that extends only the data port of the PS4's SATA controller. Connect your cable, use electrical tape, regular tape or cable ties to fasten it down.

5. The main benefit to this is that you can use drives up to 8TB, so you get much more storage space by using this method. The one downside is that there are more cables involved, it's not as clean as the above setup.

6. Using a separate power source means additional cables, which can be another drawback for some users. But buying a Molex Power Supply and hooking it up is pretty simple to do, so you can power the drive on with relative ease.

7. You will NOT lose rest mode. Please ignore that part of the video. After the latest firmware updates, you will not lose any features at all using this method. Everything will work exactly as it should!

What you will need for the Old Method - PS4 console, Hard Drive, 1 Sata Extension Cable, 1 Molex Power Supply and 1 Molex Connector.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: morenthal

morenthal
1 year ago#3
And you needed to make a duplicate topic...why again?

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
1 year ago#4

1. this isn't a duplicate topic, he consolidated his original topic and the external HDD topic

2. a mod suggested he do this. it will replace the old sticky.
"Why you eyin' my lemon drink?"
http://i.imgur.com/84F6B2e.gif Switch FC: 0888-0797-5379
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: morenthal

morenthal
1 year ago#5
CrimsonGear80 posted...

1. this isn't a duplicate topic, he consolidated his original topic and the external HDD topic

2. a mod suggested he do this. it will replace the old sticky.

Then the mod is slow since we have three of these things.

User Info: Tracid

Tracid
1 year ago#6
Can old internal drive from a previous ps4 that's also on firmware 4.50 and PSN account be migrated to an external enclosure, plugged into new PS4 on latest firmware and same PSN account without formatting as extended?
Fuer Grissa Ost Drauka

AlphaOmega786
1 year ago#7
Tracid posted...
Can old internal drive from a previous ps4 that's also on firmware 4.50 and PSN account be migrated to an external enclosure, plugged into new PS4 on latest firmware and same PSN account without formatting as extended?

No. Any drive that's being connected to the USB port, whether it's an external drive, or internal inside an enclosure, has to be setup as extended storage first, before you can use it, which formats the drive. After you set it up as extended storage, you can then switch it between PS4s if you like. But not without setting it up as extended first.
(message deleted)

AlphaOmega786
1 year ago#9
djwagon posted...
i will ask again .is there a list of external hard drives that will work and one for not work

In the video description there is a list of drives that do work.

Aa for drives that don't work, generally anything that isn't USB 3.0 won't work. Also, anything that's in a hub or docking bay, rather than a conventional enclosure, won't work.

But if you pick up one of the Western Digital or Seagate drives that I've linked in the vide description, you'll be fine. Those will work.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. [How To Guide] 4TB 6TB 8TB External and Internal Drives in PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro