• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS4 scratched disc

User Info: ameer7599

ameer7599
1 year ago#1
So hey guys, I accidentaly dropped my ps4 disc on the floor. I check it and theres a tiny lilttle dot on my disc, it seems to be dented rather than scratched. It is barely visible to be fair. You need certain angle and lighting to really see the dent. I tried the game and it is still running. What makes me wonder is, will the dent shorten the life of my PS4 laser reader? I heard from the internet that scratches will make the laser work harder to read the disc, so i want to ask you guys here. I hope not, as i dont want to waste my money not getting to play the game :( . Thanks!

User Info: densetsu86

densetsu86
1 year ago#2
No. All games are installed on HDD. The disc is just used on initial start to verify drm.

And no scratches do not shorten the life of the eye. Because the eye shoots out a leaser that reads the disc. It doesn't focus harder if there is a scratch. It runs at the same wave length always. Also blu-rays can be pretty f***ed up before they will no longer play. Watch a video were a guy deliberately keys the living f*** out of a BD and plays back with no issues.

Who ever you heard this crap from was pulling that s*** out of his ass.

ameer7599
1 year ago#3
densetsu86 posted...
No. All games are installed on HDD. The disc is just used on initial start to verify drm.

And no scratches do not shorten the life of the eye. Because the eye shoots out a leaser that reads the disc. It doesn't focus harder if there is a scratch. It runs at the same wave length always. Also blu-rays can be pretty f***ed up before they will no longer play. Watch a video were a guy deliberately keys the living f*** out of a BD and plays back with no issues.

Hey dude, thanks! Your point seems logic. So it is safe for my to continue playing with the disc right? By the way what is drm? Thanks again dude!

User Info: IomMeza

IomMeza
1 year ago#4
densetsu86 posted...

So even if the disc were to be scratched and dented badly, and it is still somewhat readable. It doesn't affect the gameplay and such?

Like a key is so f***ed up but I can still use it to open a door into my house, it doesn't affect anything inside the house. I assume the disc is the same as the key? To open a 'door' to the game and that's all it does, no matter how f***ed up the disc is.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense lol.

ameer7599
1 year ago#5
IomMeza posted...
densetsu86 posted...

So even if the disc were to be scratched and dented badly, and it is still somewhat readable. It doesn't affect the gameplay and such?

Like a key is so f***ed up but I can still use it to open a door into my house, it doesn't affect anything inside the house. I assume the disc is the same as the key? To open a 'door' to the game and that's all it does, no matter how f***ed up the disc is.

make sense ;D , sorry im just scared as i just got this ps4 2 weeks ago . I just dont want it to be ruined by a disc. lol

User Info: dantedeschain13

dantedeschain13
1 year ago#6
densetsu86 posted...

I have literally never seen a Blu-Ray disk damaged beyond use, I'd be impressed if someone accidentally did that. IomMeza posted...
densetsu86 posted...

Yeah, in a way. But like that key, if the wrong part gets damaged (like, one specific tooth) then yeah, you are screwed. But Blu-Rays are tough, you'd be hard pressed to ruin a disc by accident
F*** you, Desert Bluffs

User Info: dantedeschain13

dantedeschain13
1 year ago#7
ameer7599 posted...
IomMeza posted...
densetsu86 posted...

make sense ;D , sorry im just scared as i just got this ps4 2 weeks ago . I just dont want it to be ruined by a disc. lol

Worst case scenario, Sony will repair it for free as long it breaks within the first year. If anything, within 2 weeks is WHEN you want your console to break :P
F*** you, Desert Bluffs

User Info: Vigrim

Vigrim
1 year ago#8
ameer7599 posted...
densetsu86 posted...

Hey dude, thanks! Your point seems logic. So it is safe for my to continue playing with the disc right? By the way what is drm? Thanks again dude!

Yep, play away without a worry.

DRM is Digital Rights Management.
https://i.imgur.com/N19dutP.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RbNdoh.jpg

User Info: IomMeza

IomMeza
1 year ago#9
ameer7599 posted...
densetsu86 posted...

drm means you must verify that you have purchased that game.

You can't play a game without the disc, the disc is used to verify that you have purchased the game so you can play it.

ameer7599
1 year ago#10
dantedeschain13 posted...
densetsu86 posted...

I have literally never seen a Blu-Ray disk damaged beyond use, I'd be impressed if someone accidentally did that. IomMeza posted...
densetsu86 posted...

Yeah, in a way. But like that key, if the wrong part gets damaged (like, one specific tooth) then yeah, you are screwed. But Blu-Rays are tough, you'd be hard pressed to ruin a disc by accident

I think the dented part is just too small as i still can play the game. But i would rather replace the broken disc than having to replace the broken disc reader of the ps4. Im just hoping the dent wont affect the disc reader as what densetsu86 said that the laser wont be affected. Thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS4 scratched disc
  • Topic Archived