• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. So wait a minute, is Sega involved in the development of Shenmue?

User Info: 21_21

21_21
5 years ago#1
This may seem like an obvious question, but every time there's news about Shenmue 3, there is always an absence of Sega in them. In fact, in recent update, Yu Suzuki was asked to go into more detail about the development and the costs of Shenmue 3, and he said Sony and Shibuya productions are helping out. However, aren't Sega also helping out? They own Shenmue IP, don't they? I just find it a little weird that we talk about Shenmue and pretend it's not being owned by Sega.
Playing: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Codename S.T.E.A.M, and Shenmue
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!

User Info: toadieman

toadieman
5 years ago#2
They letting him use the shenmue stuff. That's it.

The first two Shenmue games were published by Sega. Does Sega have any involvement with Shenmue III?
So, YS Net received the licensing rights from Sega. Of course, the original properties are still licensed with Sega. This time, they%u2019re allowing us to use it and allowing us to use the licensing rights. They also gave us a lot of resources from [Shenmue] I and II to help us with this project. They%u2019ve been very happy to see Shenmue III being made and we have a very good relationship.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/19/yu-suzuki-shenmue-iii-interview-e3-2015.aspx
Thou must avoid injury, whilst striking it until it ultimately perishes.
PSN: toadieman

User Info: 21_21

21_21
5 years ago#3
toadieman posted...
They letting him use the shenmue stuff. That's it.

That seems underwhelming. It's almost like Sega is giving the message "We don't give a s*** about your precious Shenmue, but we'll be kind enough to give you some of your teammates."
Playing: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Codename S.T.E.A.M, and Shenmue
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!

User Info: UponADarkThorne

UponADarkThorne
5 years ago#4
It's Bayonetta 2 all over again.
NNID: MisterNoOne | PSN The_Mistled |Currently Playing: Bloodborne, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

User Info: jurfi1

jurfi1
5 years ago#5
Sega only cares about making bad Sonic games, errbody know dat.

User Info: Katon

Katon
5 years ago#6
If Sega was smart, they'd get in on this considering how much obvious desire there is for Shenmue 3. However, we are talking about Sega, so....
"You can almost taste how much the Bubsy 3D makers hated the children of America," from Seanbaby's review of Bubsy 3D (EGM #150)

User Info: Crysiania

Crysiania
5 years ago#7
Katon posted...
If Sega was smart, they'd get in on this considering how much obvious desire there is for Shenmue 3. However, we are talking about Sega, so....

People keep saying this but shenmue series made barley any profit.

User Info: dueric

dueric
5 years ago#8
Sega will have nothing to do with production, but I can promise you their name will be on the box somewhere.
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member

User Info: BlueAdeptRogue

BlueAdeptRogue
5 years ago#9
Do you know Shenmue costed 40 to 70 million back in 2000 and sold badly?
Do you know Sega lost a **** ton of money because of that series?
Do you people know Suzuki is still asking a lot of money from his fans despite it managed to get funded to 2 million like he promised?
And finally, do you people know why Sega puts out Sonic more than they do with Shenmue? I'll give you a hint, Sonic sells, Shenmue does not.

User Info: dueric

dueric
5 years ago#10
BlueAdeptRogue posted...
Do you know Shenmue costed 40 to 70 million back in 2000 and sold badly?
Do you know Sega lost a **** ton of money because of that series?
Do you people know Suzuki is still asking a lot of money from his fans despite it managed to get funded to 2 million like he promised?
And finally, do you people know why Sega puts out Sonic more than they do with Shenmue? I'll give you hint, Sonic sells, Shenmue does not.

They make Sonic because it's cheap and low risk. Even if it fails it's a tax break.
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. So wait a minute, is Sega involved in the development of Shenmue?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A