• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. How is it back in the ps2 days games didnt have any bugs like we have this gen/

User Info: bulletproven50

bulletproven50
5 years ago#1
Last gen.

All these patches you get every few months to make the game better.

Hel, back in the ps2 game nearly every game ran perfect, lol there was no sending out updates so developers took that extra time when they would delay a game to actually make it bug free(MGS,GOW,Final Fantasies,GTA,GT,TMNT)
PSN ID:Sprint4geyes_601
My Recent Purchases: PS3: walking dead s2(9.0)super Mario b2 3ds(9) dark souls 2(9.0) Iphone 5s(10.0) pokemon y (8.0) 3ds XL (9.0)

User Info: yellowmumba321

yellowmumba321
5 years ago#2
Games got more complex.
FC: 4940-6006-4434

User Info: rapius002

rapius002
5 years ago#3
Games got more complex, systems got more complex to code for, budgets weren't as high so they could eat the cost of a delay to polish it much better, etc.
NES|SNES|N64|GC|Wii|Wii U|GB|GBP|GBC|GBA|GBA SP|DS|DS Lite|DSi|3DS|MS|Gen1, 2, & 3|32x|CD|Sat|DC|GG|Nomad|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|PSP-2000|OUYA|Gaming laptop

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
5 years ago#4
Games had bugs back then. Most fixes I've seen in patch notes are things I've never encountered while playing.

User Info: TwoDoorPC

TwoDoorPC
5 years ago#5
Games still had bugs, although not as many. Also consoles weren't online yet so devs couldn't rely on patches to fix any mistakes.
You are now breathing manually.
Lets put a little lead in the air, and see what falls over.

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
5 years ago#6
rapius002 posted...
Games got more complex, systems got more complex to code for, budgets weren't as high so they could eat the cost of a delay to polish it much better, etc.

The primary reason is none of these.

The main reason is the fact that they can easily release patches now.

Back in the day when a game went gold it was in a state the publisher felt was complete, at least enough to not piss off customers. Today though? A game that goes gold means they think they can finish it on time for release with a patch.
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: VobeDarkElf

VobeDarkElf
5 years ago#7
Partly, it's the simple fact that being able to patch is creating launch laziness among developers. "We can fix it later, let's get some money!"

But you are also conveniantly ignoring the fact that PS2 era games weren't perfect. I would even say that the PS2 is possibly the worst console I have ever owned. I can't think of another console where I have experienced system freezes and crashes. And that wasn't faulty hardware, some of the games were just that poorly programmed no matter who's PS2 you played it on. The Champions of Norrath games were especially buggy and unstable.

Patching in today's console games is an ugly business, but at least problems do get fixed now.

User Info: aszsith

aszsith
5 years ago#8
#1 - Games have had bugs since the very beginning of gaming.
#2 - Games have grown more complex as time has passed.
#3 - Modern technology allows for patches post release.

This isn't exactly a brain busting concept if you put 3 seconds of thought into it.
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.

User Info: IceHusky13

IceHusky13
5 years ago#9
Enclave posted...
rapius002 posted...

The primary reason is none of these.

The main reason is the fact that they can easily release patches now.

Back in the day when a game went gold it was in a state the publisher felt was complete, at least enough to not piss off customers. Today though? A game that goes gold means they think they can finish it on time for release with a patch.

As a past-QA tester for Sony during the PSX and PS2 generations, I agree with this. There was more accountability back during those generations; so publishers had to have their game shipped in a state that was as "perfect" as possible, hence why so few buggy games back then. Now, developers and publishers have become too reliant on the "release now, patch later" mentality that is driving quality games on day one down sharply. It's really pathetic, to be honest with you. Also, when a publisher says a game has gone "gold," it no longer implies the same connotation as it did prior to the PS3/Xbox360 generation since they really never finish developing their games thanks to patches and DLC.

User Info: dueric

dueric
5 years ago#10
Games were only 750 mb back then. Hard to screw that up.
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. How is it back in the ps2 days games didnt have any bugs like we have this gen/
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A