• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. USB DACs WORK!!!!!

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
6 years ago#1
I was at the hotel reading last night and USB dacs came up, then the PS4. Anyways I made a mental note to look into this more because...well why the heck not? I use these on my PC all the time because I love good sound. More far more important than the visuals could ever be to me.

Anyways, I plugged it in and BAM it said something about a headset. I go get my IEMs and plug them in and it works! It freaking works! I am amazed..no more bad sound!!

It isn't without problems though. From my tests, a dedicated DAC and my Creative USB soundcard, the output volume was lower than I'd like. I needed my headphone amp to get to any decent level of volume. This shouldn't be a problem for anyone though if you are serious about sound though.

My impressions are that it most certainly sounds better. Things like Child of Light sounded much more crisp in the small details. The Piano really shined. I'm not going to get into it...everyone knows how much a DAC can change the sound.

I suggest EVERYONE with a USB soundcard/dac to check this out.

Reasons you might want to look into this if you don't have one are...well you just want to use your IEMs or headphones and not some crummy headset. (Please don't argue on this..headsets for the most part are terrible bass ridden things) You find yourself using the bluetooth on the controller jack and going...really Sony...really..this sounds like something from 1810. You want to explore a higher end audio experience apart from speakers and receivers. Higher end Microphones for chat.

All in all amazing. I will be using this almost exclusively from now on apart from music.

EDITS: I just tried my USB measurement microphone (for calibrating speakers) AND IT WORKS!!! Wholly god this is amazing.

Garage_Man
6 years ago#2
I'm bumping this so one more person can read! I cannot be the only person that cares!? Right? Right? :(

User Info: Draconas_Lyrr

Draconas_Lyrr
6 years ago#3
What's a DAC?
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean it's an intelligent opinion.

User Info: Krampus617

Krampus617
6 years ago#4
Draconas_Lyrr posted...
What's a DAC?

A DAC, or digital to analogue converter, is a device that translates digitally stored information from a laptop, iPod or other such device into analogue signals, improving the quality of the sound and upping the volume in the process.

User Info: velvet_hammer

velvet_hammer
6 years ago#5
Been using a fiio e17 for a while. Also a creative recon 3d. Made a thread about it and some people got butthurt my setup sounds better then sony, turtle cheap, astro etc. Lol
People that approve of this video 10 & counting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEPtCLAubaw

Garage_Man
6 years ago#6
velvet_hammer posted...
Been using a fiio e17 for a while. Also a creative recon 3d. Made a thread about it and some people got butthurt my setup sounds better then sony, turtle cheap, astro etc. Lol

Well why didnt you tell me!

I just couldn't believe it freaking worked. The thing doesn't play CDs yet supports this lmao.

What I really couldn't believe is just how much better it sounded. I even tried optical out through my creative and was honestly surprised at how much more crisp everything was through my stereo compared to the ps4 HDMI and optical out. The soundstage really opened up in 2.1, it became much more 3d where the ps4 for my setup sounds kinda flat. The center image got much better too.

Seriously if you guys don't know what this is maybe Google around. It can make MASSIVE differences in quality provided you have all the right things.

User Info: Draconas_Lyrr

Draconas_Lyrr
6 years ago#7
Krampus617 posted...
Draconas_Lyrr posted...
What's a DAC?

A DAC, or digital to analogue converter, is a device that translates digitally stored information from a laptop, iPod or other such device into analogue signals, improving the quality of the sound and upping the volume in the process.

Thanks.
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean it's an intelligent opinion.

User Info: MessiahKnot

MessiahKnot
6 years ago#8
That's a good option to have. I've got an E17. Been enjoying having the option of just plugging the headphones into the controller. Wonder if there's an point setting it up? The E17 doesn't have a 5.1 decoder in it right? I'd been using a DSS2 on my previous console to get 5.1 out. Was annoying having a massive cable split down the room.

velvet_hammer
6 years ago#9
MessiahKnot posted...
That's a good option to have. I've got an E17. Been enjoying having the option of just plugging the headphones into the controller. Wonder if there's an point setting it up? The E17 doesn't have a 5.1 decoder in it right? I'd been using a DSS2 on my previous console to get 5.1 out. Was annoying having a massive cable split down the room.

E 17 would just be pure 2.0 but would sound amazing on open back headphones. Would give great directional sound similar to fake surround sound. With that said i use a recon 3d for SS it blows dss2 away btw. Test it out, just a e17 should sound way better then controller headohone jack.

velvet_hammer
6 years ago#10
Garage_Man posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

Well why didnt you tell me!

I just couldn't believe it freaking worked. The thing doesn't play CDs yet supports this lmao.

What I really couldn't believe is just how much better it sounded. I even tried optical out through my creative and was honestly surprised at how much more crisp everything was through my stereo compared to the ps4 HDMI and optical out. The soundstage really opened up in 2.1, it became much more 3d where the ps4 for my setup sounds kinda flat. The center image got much better too.

Seriously if you guys don't know what this is maybe Google around. It can make MASSIVE differences in quality provided you have all the right things.

A decent DAC and open back headphones in 2.0 will sound better then most fake 5.0, 7.0 gaming headsets. Fact! (^_-)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. USB DACs WORK!!!!!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A