• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Confused about how play while download works...

User Info: ModernFOXX

ModernFOXX
7 years ago#1
I thought you could play games while they were downloading? I just bought he nba 2k14 digital code off amazon, entered it, and now its downloading. But i can't play it. I know they are limited when this happens but still.

Or is it just for installing the game. My friend had the disc version, and he could play while installing. It was limited to a demo like game until it was fully finished but he still got to play.
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3

User Info: ScaryLlama

ScaryLlama
7 years ago#2
Digital can't do this.

The perks of physical is that you can play once a certain percentage is done, so deleting some games for more memory space and then re-downloading down the line is slightly less painful.
PSN/Steam: ScaryLlama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrM1_7wnDU

User Info: bh7812

bh7812
7 years ago#3
Quote:I thought you could play games while they were downloading? I just bought he nba 2k14 digital code off amazon, entered it, and now its downloading. But i can't play it. I know they are limited when this happens but still.

Or is it just for installing the game. My friend had the disc version, and he could play while installing. It was limited to a demo like game until it was fully finished but he still got to play.

@ModernFOXX

The way it's supposed to work is you can start playing after a certain amount of the game has been downloaded and you can play while the rest downloads. The amount that you'll have to download before you can start playing may be different for each game though. Killzone will even allow you to download the SP and MP portions of the game separately, and you can begin each mode after a certain amount of it's been downloaded. That's a good idea as it lets someone who'd rather play MP first do that and then do SP later. But that's how it should work and it'll vary by game.
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.11

User Info: ModernFOXX

ModernFOXX
7 years ago#4
oh ok thanks. Yea i usually prefer physical if the option is available, but for 20$ off i thought digital wouldnt be to bad.
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
7 years ago#5
The ability to play while downloading is optional for developers. It doesn't really suit some games - sports games, for example, generally can't easily predict which teams, arenas, etc. that it'll need to download first, so probably they will mostly need to be fully downloaded before you can play them.

ScaryLlama posted...
Digital can't do this.

This is simply untrue. The idea of Sony's PlayGo system is that developers can allow their games to be played after a certain amount is downloaded. That might mean giving the player a choice between downloading single or multiplayer first (and being restricted to that mode while the other one downloads) or it might mean downloading the first few levels, then letting the player begin while other levels download in the background.

User Info: Ryan-06

Ryan-06
7 years ago#6
It's play while INSTALL tc. Not play while downloading digital. You need disc games.

/topic.
0=Rei=Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
http://i.minus.com/i62zCjRBqSbrb.gif, bit.ly/1jRVFZA

User Info: AngeloDQ6

AngeloDQ6
7 years ago#7
ScaryLlama posted...
Digital can't do this.

Not true. I started playing Madden 25 and Assassin's Creed 4 before the full downloads finished. I was able to start playing once the smaller of the two downloads finished.

I didn't notice any issues in AC4, but for Madden 25, I was restricted to 'Play Now' exhibition games until the larger download finished. Both games are PSN digital purchases.
No one ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country. -- General George S Patton; US Army

User Info: bh7812

bh7812
7 years ago#8
Quote:ScaryLlama posted...
Digital can't do this.

Not true. I started playing Madden 25 and Assassin's Creed 4 before the full downloads finished. I was able to start playing once the smaller of the two downloads finished.

I didn't notice any issues in AC4, but for Madden 25, I was restricted to 'Play Now' exhibition games until the larger download finished. Both games are PSN digital purchases.

@AngeloDQ6

Right, thanks for bringing that point up actually. A lot of games when downloaded off PSN will give you two files that need to be downloaded and once the smaller of the two is finished downloading you can start playing. But like Angelo said, in some games like sports games you'll be restricted to certain modes till the entire larger file has finished downloading. Between all the responses in the thread you should get a good picture for how it works OP :)
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.11
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Confused about how play while download works...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A