• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Puzzle & Dragons
  3. New player help

User Info: ZephyrBalrog

ZephyrBalrog
4 months ago#1
Hey guys, I just started a couple weeks ago around the time of the last godfest. I got some good mons, but I can tell that this game requires lots of time and dedication to progress (which I like). I have Gronia, Blonia, Kamimusubi, Sherias Roots, Paimon, Eschamali, Kaede, Lugh, Aife, Nicol Bolas, and more.

I'm currently running the following team:
Leader: Heavenly Guide Suzaku, Leilan
1: Flashing-Clawed CyberBeast, Leonis
2: Eternal Jade Dragon Caller, Sonia
3: Endless Era Sorcerer, Wee Jas
4: Chandra Nalaar

The only reason I haven't gone for a single color team is because I feel like I don't have the proper subs for it...

I've reached starlight sanctuary (I know normal game is a tutorial), and I've been progressing in the technical dungeons as well. I am currently rank 101, and I just have some questions:

1. Should becoming a pro at combos be my #1 priority? I feel like my team (albeit not very synergistic) would progress further if I were a pro...if not, what are my priorities?
2. Is team synergy only possible late game? Are leaders the easier to find and subs the hardest? (Like trying to build a Gronia team).
3. Is it ok to only make a little progress every day? (a couple ranks and daily dungeons, etc.) I see other people my rank who already have fully evolved Gronias, and I'm like: "How did you get that diamond dragon fruit already?!?!?"
4. If I can't handle Master difficulty yet, is that ok at my rank?

Anyway, any help would be great. Thanks :)

User Info: Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder
4 months ago#2
I haven't been playing much longer than you (playing since May), but I can answer a couple of these:

ZephyrBalrog posted...
3. Is it ok to only make a little progress every day? (a couple ranks and daily dungeons, etc.) I see other people my rank who already have fully evolved Gronias, and I'm like: "How did you get that diamond dragon fruit already?!?!?"

Yeah, that's perfectly fine; one of the good things about this game is that you can progress at your own pace. Just be sure to take advantage of the daily logins and the friend system's PAL point rewards so you can roll the Evo Carnival Machine when it comes around. That's the easiest way to get evo materials you can't farm yet.

ZephyrBalrog posted...

Yeah, that's also perfectly fine. You'll be able to beat them once you obtain strong monsters and level-up and enhance them. You probably already know this, but it's good to save up your magic stones so you can roll in the Godfests. Just be sure to leave some stones for increasing your box capacity.
FC: 2724-1435-8055 - IGN: PSI_BLUE
Currently playing: Puzzle & Dragons, Sm4sh, Guild Wars 2, Rune Factory 4, Downfall

User Info: UrCa1988

UrCa1988
4 months ago#3
ZephyrBalrog posted...
1. Should becoming a pro at combos be my #1 priority? I feel like my team (albeit not very synergistic) would progress further if I were a pro...if not, what are my priorities?

Comboing and recognizing good paths is always going to be helpful because of the way the game works. No matter what team you use, you will almost always want to combo as much as possible because it's free damage, about 0.5x added per additional combo.

ZephyrBalrog posted...
2. Is team synergy only possible late game? Are leaders the easier to find and subs the hardest? (Like trying to build a Gronia team).

No. Unless you're going for really specific leads like Gronia who will only give bonuses to certain types that you won't have many of to start, you also have someone like your Leilan whose only requirement is that you activate her colors. To that end you have fairly easily obtained subs like Gigas or Kamui, and those options just keep expanding as you go later into the game with many descend bosses being either good leads in their own right or fantastic support options.

ZephyrBalrog posted...

It's a single player game (for the most part), progress at your own pace. Don't feel like there's any milestones you need to reach by whatever arbitrary point, because your situation and theirs are different. Something that can make a difference towards making it easier to reach those diamond fruits is having someone able to carry you through this challenge set's Agni, getting a drop from Thursday mythical, or just getting plain lucky to pull one from pal egg machine.

ZephyrBalrog posted...

Like I said, don't worry about milestones and focus on just getting better. It's not enough to just have one powerful card if you don't have the skills to back it up, as is evident from the S rank mechanic for weekly dungeons (current one is Scarlet Sky Dragon).
Do not feel bad about it. We are alive, after all. And being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.

Blue_Thunder
4 months ago#4
ZephyrBalrog posted...

While learning to combo is important, IMO, it's a bit more important that you have a team that works together. Choose a leader skill, then pick subs that make use of the leader's skill, and help improve your suitability. For example, my current main team's leader is Ars[e] Nova, whose leader skill gives 7x attack to R/L (red/light) team members. Therefore, I chose whatever R/L monsters I had that had useful Active Skills and awakenings (light and red orb changing, healing, etc) to be her subs.
Currently playing: Puzzle & Dragons, Sm4sh, Guild Wars 2, Rune Factory 4, Downfall

User Info: infinitexx

infinitexx
4 months ago#5
Comboing is important for all but the most braindead of farming teams. You'll get better as you go along and get some finger awakenings or time leaderskills.

There are some basic things to keep in mind, like start matching from the bottom, and try to combo in such a fashion that you can maneuver orbs in the space that you've not worked on yet. For example, if you make four horizontal three combos from the bottom left up, you're left with that first row that can't be matched unless you break one of your combos to do so. It's better to do two horizontal combos and then top with vertical combos, on a perfectly distributed board, this lets you move through the whole board without breaking and reforming combos.

There are videos about basic combo strategy if you'd like to look at that instead of figuring it out as you go, and for things like bicolor boards (sonia actives) there are images that have optimal setups for each number of orbs.

You'll find yourself advancing in leaps once you get your hands on things like the materials for mega sonias, but don't sweat it if you're going slow for now. Rank doesn't really match up with progress, and is especially hard for older players to judge, since nowadays people can get to like 50 in 10 minutes whereas it took us hundreds of runs in Tower of Giants to break into the 30s.

Building teams for more restrictive leader skills can be tricky when you don't have a deep box, but there are also plenty of leaders who can use just about any sub and do fine. Your Nicol Bolas and Kaede fall in that category, though they may be tricky to manage until you get better at comboing (and get some more move time from awakenings). Kamimusubi should be a pretty solid early option for a team where you can slap all sorts of things on and have it work.
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.

User Info: ZephyrBalrog

ZephyrBalrog
4 months ago#6
Ok thanks so much guys! Should I just post my box so that you can help me setup the ideal team for now?

Also, how do I get more TAMADRA? I noticed that the coin shop has a dungeon that costs 99 stamina, but I don't have nearly that much yet.

Also, I'm trying to save up for Odindrag + Ragdrag with my Monster Points. Are there ways I can farm for that? (I am IAP but I don't want to sell a bunch of good monsters if I don't have to).

Blue_Thunder
4 months ago#7
ZephyrBalrog posted...
Also, how do I get more TAMADRA? I noticed that the coin shop has a dungeon that costs 99 stamina, but I don't have nearly that much yet.

There was a 50% TAMADRA invade rate in one of the technical dungeons a little while ago, hopefully they do something like that again soon. Otherwise, AFAIK, you can get them as gifts from Mail, or by completing certain Quests, or by getting one to drop from some dungeons. They sometimes appear in the "Hunt [x] Dragons!" levels of the Dragon Infestation special dungeons, for example.

User Info: TheSocialBunny

TheSocialBunny
4 months ago#8
To add on top of the insight of the posters above me. ~^_^~

Ah! For that, be sure to out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLku-s20EBE

Although the video was created before things like 7x6 board expanders were introduced, most all of the advice still holds true to this day.

There's basically 3 main focuses when improving your combos:

1. Pattern Recognition
Being able to look at a seemingly random area of orbs, and then re-arrange it into meaningful combos. This also applies to cascading combos that rely on falling orbs to complete.

2. Compression
The art of compacting your combos as tightly as possible to fit as many on the board as possible. The better you get at making combos, the more likely you are to run out of space, so this becomes an essential skill for teams that rely on high combo counts.

3. Speed
How fast you are able to do both of the above. Some players also use a stylus with PAD to increase their speed and accuracy. Try to visualize the best path to take before your turn, then stick to it. Sometimes you zig when you were suppose to zag, but making mistakes and fixing them just comes with the territory. ^_~

As UrCa mentioned, the importance of team synergy depends on the requirement for your team's Leader Skill. Sonia Fio is a bit tricky because her optimal team are Wood or Dark Dragons that are able to supply Wood or Dark Orbs to consistently activate her full multiplier on demand, with an additional goal of having 7c or Time Extend Awoken Skills.

Getting an optimal REM team is a luxury for the few, however, getting a workable team with viable synergy isn't too bad for Sonia Fio. Some farmable cards to look out for Sonia Fio are Reincarnated Zeal, Reincarnated Ishtar, Ultimate Dragon Zombie, Pixel Brachy, Ultimate Adekazakiri, and Ultimate Canopus for example.

Many players got their first Diamond Dragon Fruit from a big in-game mail bonus a month or two ago, so don't feel too bad about it. Getting Diamond Dragon Fruit on your own power deliberately is decidedly a much harder task, typically involving clearing some of the harder or more involved Quests.

Actually, I heard that Diamond Dragon Fruit now Invades the Thursday Mythical, but to be perfectly honest, I've never seen it happen before. The Thursday Mythical is pretty dangerous though, so I'd recommend developing your current teams first.

Absolutely! Master is actually a huge spike in difficulty because enemies will start to use pretty much the exact same Technical Skills as they do on the higher difficulties... some that are near guaranteed to kill you no matter what if you let them.

Generally speaking, the older the dungeon is in the game history, the easier it is, so Master difficulty on something like the ECO Collab Coin Dungeon would be a cake walk, whereas its exponentially hard for something like the recent Magic the Gathering Collab.

Overall, just play the game your own pace. There are many things in life that rush us to move forward against our will, Puzzle & Dragons shouldn't be one of them. ^_~

User Info: Edgemaster70000

Edgemaster70000
4 months ago#9
You have a lot of dragons available to you. You should look at running one of them as a dragon lead instead of Leilan, or if you're feeling more confident in your board clearing you can try Nicol Bolas.
XBL GT: Dapper DLnosaur.

User Info: TheSocialBunny

TheSocialBunny
4 months ago#10
ZephyrBalrog posted...

Although the Coin Dungeon version at 99 Stamina is currently too expensive for you, if you catch the Limited Time Dungeon version of TAMADRA Village instead that comes up every few days, the dungeon has an extra 50 Stamina floor version (No guaranteed TAMADRA Invade and the regular floor can be trolled by ChibiDra, but for half price, its still decent). Actually, with the recent adjustment in the game that allows players to exchange 2x Baby TAMADRA for a full grown one, it might actually be better than the 99 Stamina version on average to run, although I haven't run the numbers yet. Also, if you have access to it, be sure to farm your dungeons in Multiplayer if you are able to reduce Stamina cost. ^_~

Ah! As Blue_Thunder mentioned above, TAMADRA also very rarely spawn during the 15 Stamina versions of the Enhance Dragon Dungeons, like today's Emerald Dragon Infestation. Its not really a good source of TAMADRA specifically, but if you're going to run it anyway for Monster EXP, it can be a pleasant bonus to see drop.

There's also also a 1 out of 3 chance to get a TAMADRA to drop in the Friday and Thursday Mythical, although you probably should be at the point where you're regularly clearing Descends before taking those on.

TAMADRA can also be traded for with other players, although there's not much in the 5-Star rarity category that other players will trade for except for Snow Globe Dragons, which are typically far more valuable. Most new players get them from bonus Event Dungeons or mail hand-outs until they can access TAMADRA Village via the Coin Dungeons. ^_~

Finally, if we're lucky, we might be getting the all TAMADRA PAL machine in the near future. Basically, its a PAL machine that spits out only TAMADRA and Baby TAMADRA for 500 PAL Points a roll. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it should definitely help put a dent in your TAMADRA needs. ~^_^~

Ah! As a side note, with this last update, you should be exchanging all your Baby TAMADRA at the Monster Exchange instead of feeding them raw (The ability to evolve them has also been removed). When fed raw, Baby TAMADRA have about a 30% of successful unlocking an Awoken Skill. Compare this to trading in 2 for a 100% successful full grown TAMADRA and unless you have statistically improbable good luck feeding raw, it should come out far better on average. ^_~
  1. Boards
  2. Puzzle & Dragons
  3. New player help
  • Topic Archived