• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
  3. If this comes out on 3DS and Mobile, what are your purchase preferences?

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#1
Of the following options, choose how you plan to purchase this game. - Results (96 votes)
3DS + Mobile on day 1
2.08% (2 votes)
3DS on day 1 + Mobile at a later date
5.21% (5 votes)
3DS on day 1 + Mobile at a much later date or when first on sale
6.25% (6 votes)
3DS only
78.13% (75 votes)
Mobile on day 1 + 3DS at a later date
1.04% (1 vote)
Mobile on day 1 + 3DS at a much later date or when first on sale
0% (0 votes)
Mobile only
7.29% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I will follow this up with 2 polls, one for the 3DS purchases, one for the Mobile purchases, to gauge how people will want to purchase.

I created this poll on the den as well, but here I want to get perspectives from people who won't be planning to answer the Den poll, as I'm unsure if it requires an account, and there are likely more people who post here than there, and who ghost here, since, if I recall, I think you can vote here without ghosting.

Den Poll, for those interested: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32790

I really wish Ron Duwell or someone in the media would take up a similar charge and make a similar poll to gauge the industry. Better yet would be a poll organized by SE to get an idea of how people will view this, but then, maybe it's MUCH better for us if they assume DQ7's sales will be astronomically low on the 3DS, assuming a release, as I believe it will be both 3DS+Mobile or nothing at all, and as we all know, I'm 100% proof positive certain, especially since Horii, it's coming. So let's not argue that here.

Let's assume this is something SE actually pays attention to, which I believe they do now, especially in the last year. I think they are keeping a close watch on the fanbase given a few of the subtle hints at changes within the internal mechanism of the company, and the obvious level of mirth and exuberance showcased in their support of Dragon Quest Heroes, leading to the release, and their responses to fans about DQ7, and their constant need to play word games on whether it will be released or not. They clearly do know we want it more than any other DQ, maybe DQ8 as much, and some seem to feel that DQ7 is now a "never" and a "lost cause" and have switched to only pushing for DQ8, but I digress...some games have a delay of up to 5 years. So anything can happen, and given some of the future release lists, the 3DS has at least another two years before it's ultimate death, and I would hope for more, but eh, I don't think so.

So please vote carefully and truthfully with how you would prefer to purchase this game. Same with the other polls, for those who want a 3DS version, and for those who want a mobile version.

Cheers.

My own vote:

3DS on day 1, Mobile at a later date (could be much later, but for now as things stand, just a bit later).
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

User Info: badboy

badboy
5 years ago#2
Unless it comes for 3DS first, I'll get it for mobile.

behindtheword
5 years ago#3
badboy posted...
Unless it comes for 3DS first, I'll get it for mobile.

Of course, but my idea here is, if SE pays attention at all, and if they have salaried PR people with an understanding of demographics and how polls work in relation, this is one way to demonstrate in real numbers how this would break down if both were released.

The point being, if it's only a mobile release, and while I'm not accounting for it, as I can't (I'd had to make another poll), this can help give a picture of how the fanbase would react, and the real cost to their bottom line should they consider a mobile only release.

In my opinion, most fans would not take your position, at least for a time. I would consider purchasing a mobile only release, maybe 2 years, maybe 3, after anger had subsided, but then I've walked away from a lot of things permanently that I formerly loved and participated in all the time. So it's hardly out of the question that I, and others might walk away from DQ, as a series, forever, or just never purchase any copy of DQ7 due to righteous indignation. Afterall, it wouldn't be much to even just consider a digital only release on 3DS, but the uproar in the US/EU gaming communities over digital downloads, and the uptick in expressed desire for tangible physical evidence of ownership has gone up by a lot. People are genuinely afraid of the idea of never touching a physical copy again, or having that satisfaction of ownership that comes with it.

After I hit high enough numbers, and seen this bare out as far as it can go, I'll do a poll about a mobile only release, to get a more accurate gauge, based on current feelings right now.

Delayed profits hurt almost as much no profits, even if it means eventual sales, and losing entire groups of the core fanbase over something so idiotic as lacking a patch to the 3DS version after the localization is finished seems like a huge mistake on SE's part. Even with Horii's statement, my fears are that anything can change internally about how they look at profit potential.

The other thing is, unlike them, I feel I have a much better read on the fanbase as a whole, and that even with the changes we've seen so far, which have been great, they might not fully comprehend the profit to loss ratios and risk assessment. Plus if 3DS fans get their way now, despite misgivings on mobile, the chance that, in the future they'll buy the mobile version as well, is pretty high. If only because maybe they have the next Nintendo mobile console, and can't play it there, or maybe they're into Sony's mobile, and still want the option to play DQ7 in the workday, without overloading their pocket's or briefcase with gadgets. So I want SE to get a number's based picture on the win-win of a 3DS release, not just for appeasing fan angst, which I think is why they might do it now...just because we've seen the announcement for DQ7 mobile in Japan already, without an official peep on DQ7 3DS internationally, but also for the higher overall potential sales, and making fans feel more comfortable with purchases like Dragon Quest Heroes. A lot of us are apprehensive about DQH. There are even people who have expressed either a desire to, or outright stated they have cancelled preorders because of a lack of work on Dragon Quest VII and/or VIII 3DS status.

While I think that's silly, as I wouldn't cancel DQH, I understand and accept the position and reasons. Feeling like DQH, an action game, somehow translates to sales in the turn-based section of DQ, is like saying Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within would have increased Final Fantasy sales.

Thanks for the response badboy.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
5 years ago#4
Option 3.
At this point I either get mobile day one or wait a bit for possible 3DS version release....
If mobile is only way for me to play it portable...
Then so be it.
Mobile DQ 1 is the only way I even beat that game....
Too bad I got bored with 3 after a while.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 3DS FC: 3411-1747-3961 Y: Sean; X: Lily; Serebii 4 Life; OGTG hax breeder/KCB
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: Nova_Castings

Nova_Castings
5 years ago#5
3DS would be day one, no questions asked. The mobile version, I'd wait on a bit, but would most definitely pick up.
~Nova Castings
A man who can imitate a Spanish squirrel helping 48 men mow a meadow is capable of anything!

User Info: Shad0wg00n

Shad0wg00n
5 years ago#6
3DS only.

What am I supposed to do without a physical copy and buttons? Not that I'm expecting it to release on 3DS in the West anymore.
Respectful noob of Dark Aether and NoFunAllowed

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
5 years ago#7
3DS on day 1 + Mobile at a much later date or when first on sale
Dragon Quest XI - I need both versions!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaE0mNexTs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuGcpSCkyfk

User Info: nfrazee28

nfrazee28
5 years ago#8
I am one of the overwhelmingly vast majority of 3DS-only votes, granted the validity of this scientifically isn't as great as we'd like it to be, considering this is the 3DS version's forum.
Frazee equips the Erdrick's Armour Hot Dogs.

behindtheword
5 years ago#9
nfrazee28 posted...
I am one of the overwhelmingly vast majority of 3DS-only votes, granted the validity of this scientifically isn't as great as we'd like it to be, considering this is the 3DS version's forum.

The mobile is new, but already I hear the crickets. Point being, even mobile customers would frequent this, much like most mobile customers for the DQ4, 5, 6, and 8 releases often frequent the original release forums for info, as it's often more active.

Same with Final Fantasy and even CT. I see more posts related to how someone can't get an answer on the mobile forum, or it takes too long. So I suspect that this forum will see all customers who would come to gameFAQs, or at least the vast majority of even just mobile users.

User Info: nfrazee28

nfrazee28
5 years ago#10
Man, where I'm seeing that in play big time is on the Pokemon Shuffle board. That's a match-3 puzzle game that is FTS / FTP and has been out for 3DS since February but the mobile just went live. I've been a 3DS player of it since almost the start on more than one unit but couldn't care less about the mobile. Apparently the mobile forum is dead and was never alive to begin with and the 3DS version's board currently has a civil war going on it, almost, where lots of new mobile players are posting there, the games are just different enough that some of those questions are completely irrelevant for the 3DS version, and certain grumpier people are asking the mobile people to just use the mobile board but those mobile people are saying there's no point to.
Frazee equips the Erdrick's Armour Hot Dogs.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
  3. If this comes out on 3DS and Mobile, what are your purchase preferences?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A