• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Demon Gaze
  3. Would I like this game if I didn't like Operation Abyss?

User Info: ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene
1 month ago#1
I'm from the Etrian Odyssey camp of DRPGs. I like conquering dungeons with a handpicked party and fine-tuning it as I go. I like seeing my characters get stronger as I progress, steering how they develop via skill trees, job changes, etc. I like it when I could have two characters of the exact same job and they would both turn out differently.

I played about 6 hours of Operation Abyss before I got bored and uninstalled. For all the leveling up, it just seemed like every single battle was the same. My characters weren't building toward their next skill or a new synergy, they were just waiting for the arbitrary level where the next spell tier unlocked. Otherwise the physical units were just waiting for the heat death of the universe.

I also played through Class of Heroes 2 and Elminage Original, but I can't say I liked either of them. They had class changes, but it was really limited. It didn't feel like there was much room for uniqueness or player expression. Also, Elminage was outwardly hostile to anything resembling quality of life, while Class of Heroes 2 was so easy that my decisions didn't matter.

I'm just asking because the Vita store is closing. I don't want to miss out if this is consistent with my tastes. I think most of the other DRPGs will be available elsewhere, but I think this is still Vita exclusive.

Thanks in advance.
"Power is wasted on the powerful."
-Count Dooku

User Info: Madaggar

Madaggar
4 weeks ago#2
It's pretty close to Operation Abyss in terms of most class mechanics. The story in this one is a lot more of a focus and it's more JRPG-ish. You do have more options for customization, but it's mostly about mixing class abilities with the use of specific equips, which are unique so you can't make everyone the same.There's one major difference with casters: they have an MP pool instead of a limited number of casts per spell tier. This is both better and worse, so mostly a wash.

Honestly, I don't think this game would work for you based on the experience you had with Operation Abyss. In this game classes learn things earlier than in OA, but it's mostly the same stuff. EXP Inc games tend to be like that. Very quickly you get to a point where every random battle is just a cleave fest, and boss battles are just abusing the strongest abilities while trying to nullify whatever the boss does.

Now that the store is no longer closing you don't really have any impetus to hurry. If you're still interested in Vita DRPGs I would recommend Dungeon Travelers 2. Aesthetically the game is not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. While the class system has issues, it offers a decent amount of variety
http://i.imgur.com/oSNMS.jpg

ViewtifulGene
4 weeks ago#3
I tried the DT2 demo and liked the skill trees, but the writing and art style were dealbreakers. I guess I just don't need to worry about Vita-exclusive DRPGs, then.

Mary Skelter is awfully fanservice-heavy, too, but I can at least take the monster designs seriously. And all the stupid "OMG your boobs are so much bigger than mine" scenes are relegated to optional events.
-Count Dooku

User Info: TenchiHawkwing

TenchiHawkwing
3 weeks ago#4
It's a shame that you can't get into DT2 'cause mechanically I think it's the best Vita has to offer.
DD: DA (PS4)
PSN: HiouZetsuenshou, Pawn: Alexandra, Lv. 93 Ranger.

User Info: dragonkiss88

dragonkiss88
2 weeks ago#5
@ViewtifulGene You didn't mention playing Mary Skelter: Nightmares in the list of DRPGs you played. I've never gotten around to playing any of the Etrian Odyssey Games, (so I can't say exactly how similar it is or isn't) but the Mary Skelter Games aren't like Demon Gaze. Mary Skelter is on the PSN for $9.99 right now, but I'm not sure if that's a Sale Price or not.

The Mary Skelter Games do have specific Characters to use because of story line, but they all have their own unique looks, personalities, special bonus/innate features & skills, but everything else is the same for Characters of the same Class Type. Each Character has a set Class/Job Type, and each one has 5 different classes to pick from, not including the DLC classes. Every Character starts in a specific Class, and every 10th level (at Levels 10/20/30/40) you can unlock any 1 of the remaining 4 classes you want. Every Class is designed around a specific role (Like Support by either Buffing/Debuffing, Offense with High Damage Attacks, Higher Speed with Lower Damage Attacks, Magical Damage, ect) with different Skill they can learn. Your base stats change depending on the class being used. Once you learn a skill you can use it with any class as long as you set it in an open skill slot, and you can buy more skill slots as needed. Each Class has it's own set of weapon types they can use, which varies a lot between the classes. You learn skills by spending CP which you gain every time you level up. The Base CP Cost for Learning Skills varies, as does CP Cost to Rank Up, & the Max Rank for each Skill. So you still have total control over how to build you characters with what skills you learn, and the class you use.

I want to note that the Version of Mary Skelter 1 on the PS Vita isn't the same Version included with Mary Skelter 2. The Version included with the 2nd game was changed a lot from the original version on the Vita. It's supposed to be a "Re-Balanced and Upgraded Version" but almost everyone I've talk to said the PS Vita Version is still superior. The biggest difference is the Re-Balanced Version has important Post Game Story-line Content that can't be accessed unless you have a clear file for 2.

Also, the recommended play order depends on if you have access to the PS Vita Version of 1 or not. I've been told if possible it's best to play the PS Vita Version of the 1st game before playing the 2nd game, but if not then to play the 2nd Game before playing the Version of 1 included with it. Apparently the Re-Balanced Version has spoilers for the 2nd game, but the Original PS Vita Version doesn't.

I just recently started to enjoy playing DRPGs. I mostly played SRPGs & JRPGs. I started branching out a little more due to the lack of good games for me to play. So far I'm really enjoying the Mary Skelter Games. I also enjoyed Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk for the most part, but it lacks any real Character Development in that game unfortunately. I tried playing the Class of Heroes Games, but I didn't care for them much. I hope this helps.
3DS Dragonkiss & FC: 1650-7227-0096 - Pokemon X, OR, AS & US ING Dragon
Switch Dragonkiss SW-6265-3643-9315 Pokemon Sword ING Dragon

ViewtifulGene
2 weeks ago#6
@dragonkiss88

Funny you should mention the Mary Skelter series, since I actually just finished both games on Switch over the last 3 weeks. I got the double pack on sale for $13 and it had me hooked for a solid 110 hours across both games.

I started with the sequel and then played the remake of the first game. The first game still has some obnoxious segments in the final dungeon and the postgame, but I'm really looking forward to Finale when it comes out.

My favorite aspect of that series is the blood splatter system. I like how characters can be tailored to support or offense depending on their Lick effects and Massacre skill pools. And my turn-by-turn decisions feel a lot more meaningful, since the transformations can make or break an encounter.
-Count Dooku
(edited 2 weeks ago)

dragonkiss88
2 weeks ago#7
ViewtifulGene posted...
@dragonkiss88

Funny you should mention the Mary Skelter series, since I actually just finished both games on Switch over the last 3 weeks. I got the double pack on sale for $13 and it had me hooked for a solid 110 hours across both games.

I started with the sequel and then played the remake of the first game. The first game still has some obnoxious segments in the final dungeon and the postgame, but I'm really looking forward to Finale when it comes out.

My favorite aspect of that series is the blood splatter system. I like how characters can be tailored to support or offense depending on their Lick effects and Massacre skill pools. And my turn-by-turn decisions feel a lot more meaningful, since the transformations can make or break an encounter.

That's funny, I got it during the same sale, and I'm at the end of 2 right now. Once I finish that I'm gonna start the Nightmares Remake, but I also plan on getting the Vita Version, cuz I keep hearing it's a lot better, but it just doesn't have the few QoL Changes, and the Extra Post Game Story Content. Either way I know exactly what you mean. I really like that, as well as the Real-Time Random Nightmare Chases, and the Dungeon Bonuses by sating Hunger, Desire, and Sleep. That was pretty cool/unique, or it is for me anyway. IDK if a lot of other DRPGs have things like that, but I think it's cool.

BTW since you like this, Can I assume the Etrian Odyssey Games are someone similar. If so I have a feeling I'll really like them as well.

ViewtifulGene
2 weeks ago#8
dragonkiss88 posted...
That's funny, I got it during the same sale, and I'm at the end of 2 right now. Once I finish that I'm gonna start the Nightmares Remake, but I also plan on getting the Vita Version, cuz I keep hearing it's a lot better, but it just doesn't have the few QoL Changes, and the Extra Post Game Story Content. Either way I know exactly what you mean. I really like that, as well as the Real-Time Random Nightmare Chases, and the Dungeon Bonuses by sating Hunger, Desire, and Sleep. That was pretty cool/unique, or it is for me anyway. IDK if a lot of other DRPGs have things like that, but I think it's cool.

BTW since you like this, Can I assume the Etrian Odyssey Games are someone similar. If so I have a feeling I'll really like them as well.

They're pretty similar in terms of dungeon design. The game has enemies similar to Nightmares, but they're fixed spawns and have their own movement behaviors. Some will chase you, some will stand still, some will patrol an area. You can often interact with the dungeon to get an advantage against them in battle, such as luring them into a trap or finding a secret passage to ambush them.

The character building is more involved than in Skelter. There isn't as much job-hopping, but each job has a lot of interlocking passives and several bread-and-butter skill options. You can make some pretty elaborate setups for shutting down bosses and nuking them, too.

The roulette and real-time chases are pretty unique. But the concept of an on-field enemy who is considerably stronger than the random mobs was pioneered by Etrian Odyssey.
-Count Dooku
(edited 2 weeks ago)

dragonkiss88
1 week ago#9
ViewtifulGene posted...
They're pretty similar in terms of dungeon design. The game has enemies similar to Nightmares, but they're fixed spawns and have their own movement behaviors. Some will chase you, some will stand still, some will patrol an area. You can often interact with the dungeon to get an advantage against them in battle, such as luring them into a trap or finding a secret passage to ambush them.

The character building is more involved than in Skelter. There isn't as much job-hopping, but each job has a lot of interlocking passives and several bread-and-butter skill options. You can make some pretty elaborate setups for shutting down bosses and nuking them, too.

The roulette and real-time chases are pretty unique. But the concept of an on-field enemy who is considerably stronger than the random mobs was pioneered by Etrian Odyssey.

That's all the stuff I look for in games. I love having the options to build my own unique characters by Picking which Skills/Abilities/Passives/ect I want/like, and being able to expand on that design further.

IDK if you ever played any MMOs, but I used to love playing Star Wars Galaxies "a long, long time ago..." Before they Killed it the with "New Game Enhancement" update. That game was one of the first major games I ever played where I created my own personal 100% unique character build, and was able to customize it exactly how I wanted it. Every Character startd with 250 Skill Points total (at least I think it was 250, if not something close to that) and the game had no physically visible level. It used a Sliding Color Scale from white to dark red. White was the easiest, and Dark Red meant 99% Chance of Death usually. As you gained different types of Exp, you were able to spend your Exp & Skill Points to Train in that Skill Tree. The game had over 40 Professions total. Each one had 4 Skill Trees, and each Skill Tree have for tiers. Higher up a tree cost more Exp & used less Skill Points. The base Profession took like 15 or 30 skill points, the first tier was like 6, next was 5, and so on. You were able to Unlock as many Professions as you had skill point for. So I used to make my character design unique. The really cool thing was you could un-train any skills you learned to gain back those skill points, and use them somewhere else.

A few years later I played Star Wars the Old Republic. That game had a totally different core design, but I was still able to create my own unique character builds. When you created a character you picked 1 of the 4 base classes for the Republic or the Empire. At level 10 you got to pick 1 of the 2 advanced class options unique to your base class. Every Advanced Class had 3 different skill trees that helped define you character's role between Tank, Healer, and DPS. Some Base Classes could become all 3 types depending on the Advanced class you picked, and others were limited to just 2. I Really liked played the Jedi Consular Class. They could become either a Jedi Sage which became either a Healer or DPS, or the Jedi Shadow which became either a Tank or DPS. I had 2 Jedi Sages. 1 was full Healing build and the other was my own unique costume hybrid DPS. I also had 3 Jedi Shadows, 1 was a Tank, and the other 2 were both DPS. The reason I had 2 Shadow DPS Builds was because I enjoyed playing that class, and I had 2 unique costume hybrid DPS builds. I never followed what the "Best Class Build" was like Most people. They would Focus one 1 skill tree to max out, and then spend 5 or 6 skill points between the other 2 trees following exactly or close to it what other people said to do online. I didn't enjoy playing like that. Both of my Hybrid Characters could match or out DPS any of the "Recommended/Best Character Builds" listed online, and I made them to fit my play style. I've always loved creating/designing unique character types/builds. Which is why I got so pissed off and quit playing that game, because they "Upgraded" the Skill system by removing the 3 Skill Trees, and replaced it with a 95% Cookie-Cutter Skill System. You had to pick your roll for your advanced job, and then you had 1 "Path" you had to take as you leveled. I ended up with 3 identical Shadows, and quit. There was no way to really make a custom character anymore. They claimed the reason was because it was too hard/not possible to keep all the classes balanced with the 3 skill tree system, so their answer was to make everyone the f***ing same. The really ironic part was that the 3 skill tree system basically a copy of the World of Warcraft skill tree design, and that game had way more content, levels, and classes than SWTOR did at the time, yet somehow WOW was still able to balance their 3 Skill Tree Design.

Ever since that I've only played offline games, and I look for any games that give me total control over character development/design. I find it fun pushing myself to find new ways to do things. Otherwise it gets really boring when I replay them. I'm excited now & really looking forward to trying the Etrian Odyssey Games! Thanks for the input, and if I come across any other games like them that I think you'll enjoy I'll PM you with the Info! Enjoy & thanks again!
  1. Boards
  2. Demon Gaze
  3. Would I like this game if I didn't like Operation Abyss?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A