• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. A Sorcerer's Road to Level 200

User Info: DSXTheGreatest

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#1
I was just wondering, is there a faster way to Level 200 other than the Offline Ur-Dragon, cursed dragons, and Daimon for this particular class? I know about the exploit with Death, but I'm not sure if it would work with a sorcerer, given that a bow-wielding class equipped with blast arrows was recommended. And I considered the wight by the Greatwall camp and the skeletons it summons a no-go due to the massive difference in speed between a bow and a spell, to say nothing of there apparently not being any spells that could quickly and reliably take out the skeletons and not harm the wight.

From there, I farmed the Ur-Dragon until I was 140+ before I dared to set foot through the first door on Bitterblack Isle; I didn't want to be one-shotted by everything that was in there. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting. In fact, I pretty much steamrolled through it and murdered everything that wasn't Death, the only enemy I ever ran from.

But still, my experience through BBI gradually instilled a distaste for sorcerers. Playing as and leveling one, anyway, but my end goal for my current build is a balanced Mystic Knight, like the one suggested here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/68919532

I've got no hate against sorcerers, but right now I'm just kinda sick of being one, and I wanna hit Level 200 as fast as I can so I can switch back to the Mystic Knight class and maybe give Hard mode a go.

And that's where Daimon comes in.

I thought it was gonna be another massacre going into his battle. I'd looked up videos of people taking this guy down in seconds as a sorcerer with nothing but Holy Focused Bolts. So I casted Holy Affinity on myself and started firing away.

I'd might as well have been throwing rocks at him, the damage was so minuscule. I know about Demon's Periapts and I have a lot of them since I've only been using them to kill Ur-Dragons in one go, but I'm not so sure they'd be of much help to me as I am now.

I was level 150 when I made it to Daimon. I'm Level 153 right now, and my magic attack strength is 1480, with a base of 466. If that seems off, it's because I overleveled at the beginning of the game and switched to MK when I was at level 15-16. I actually tried to make the switch at Level 10, thinking it was gonna be all good if I went to Olra to switch classes before I got to Gran Soren. Needless to say, I did too many quests, explored too much, and quickly learned that a switch at that point in time was just gonna be a waste in DCP since I didn't have a magic shield. I knew there was one in Witchwood and I'd found it before (or rather, one of my pawns did), but I had no such luck in this playthrough.

This is actually my first. The first one I stuck with, anyway: I played around at the beginning a couple times with different characters and different vocations to see how Striders and Mages performed.

But anyway, Daimon was eating those Focused Bolts like candy and overall giving me a hard time. I looked at other videos to see what I was doing wrong, and it turns out that the videos showing Daimon being cheesed were done with a naturally high magic stat. And by "naturally high", I mean 2000-3000 without periapts, but with upgraded BBI equipment. And that's where my problem with this battle comes in: I've been saving my corrupted finds for when I go back to being a Mystic Knight at Level 200. BBI simply hasn't been giving me enough rift crystals for me to feel comfortable with using them to power up a sorcerer with my current stats. I have 34,445 right now, but that's because I've been spending them on restoring rift stones.

I don't want to take the risk of coughing up what little I have left only to find myself in another battle of attrition with Daimon, or even worse: Get a weapon that I can't even use.

Is it worth the risk, or is there a better way to go about this?
"And David sayeth onto Goliath, 'Say cheese, jackass!'"

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#2
Sorry for the double post, but I ran out of character space. I'd meant to mention that I went through BBI so I could farm Daimon because he supposedly gives out more experience, to say nothing of how much easier it could potentially be to take him down in comparison to the Ur-Dragon, which for that battle is a matter of speed as opposed to difficulty. I can destroy the Ur-Dragon without any problems, but as I got further and further through the levels, the progression slowed. Right now, I'm only getting 1-2 levels off of him per kill, and that's with a Pilgrim's Charm. When I was first getting into the groove, I was getting 2-3, which I considered a good compromise with how long it takes to kill him.

Not that it takes me forever, but after shooting up through the levels killing skeletons as an assassin, gaining at least 10 levels per half hour, it certainly feels like I'm spending an eternity using the Ur-Dragon to level up.

Is that still the option I should stick with?

And btw, the build I was going for was in post #8 for the thread I linked to, if that helps.

User Info: gonsi

gonsi
9 months ago#3
Tbh I leveled my sorc by obtaining lots of rancid bait meat and solo farming cursed dragon in undead tower. In hard mode ofc with blessed flower too.

Its piss easy with holy focused bolt but also quite boring so I just killed him few times and then played something else...

Don't think there is "faster" way to level. Though getting bored does feel it drags on forever.

There are... less honest ways to get where you want. But it requires save editing that may tempt you to get more than you normally would.

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#4
gonsi posted...
Tbh I leveled my sorc by obtaining lots of rancid bait meat and solo farming cursed dragon in undead tower. In hard mode ofc with blessed flower too.

Would you say it takes less time than farming the Ur-Dragon? And by that, I'm including the time it takes to get all the materials together, rest, and do whatever else you need to do.

There are... less honest ways to get where you want. But it requires save editing that may tempt you to get more than you normally would.

I'll pass on the save editing. I do wanna get to Level 200 quickly, but I don't wanna get myself banned.

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#5
Just got done killing Daimon's awakened form, and I just CANNOT see why anybody would wanna farm this guy for the experience, at least as a sorcerer. It's like you practically NEED Demon's Periapts and overpowered gear to be able to do any real damage to him, even with holy attacks!

Had to use almost 40 periapts to get the job done, and I didn't even bother with the Pilgrim's Charms I had on me. Major props to anyone who's able to solo this guy, especially on Hard. He's a freaking nightmare.

What I really don't get is how farming him is considered worth it when the door to his chamber locks every time you leave after you kill him. Was the game not supposed to do that, or are you really supposed to run through a bunch of monsters every time you wanna fight him?

At least the other shortcuts stay open...Sheesh.

User Info: vonhizzle

vonhizzle
9 months ago#6
You could try this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/684236-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/66897804

Or death glitch here is a quote from GAMERKS

way to complicated and you waste lots of time!
the glitch works only pre daimon in the sewers where death infinity spawns.

a quick Death guide
-deplete his health to near zero but dont kill him! use yellow vocations + blast arrows to speed things.
-leave the area
-come back and save before killing him
-kill him and godsbane
-kill him again, grab loot and leave area to the sparyard of scant mercy
-come back, save, kill him (he has zero health again!), godsbane
-kill him, grab loot and leave area
-rinse and repeat....

i tested this on xbox and PS3 2 days ago and can confirm it definetely works.
this glitch is a great way for powerleveling and farming level 3 items very soon in the game!

happy farming : )

You can get some levels while you are sleeping/working by standing on the wall in Gran Soren where the guards spawn. Throw your pawn in the brine and hire a sorc pawn 25 levels lower than you with maelstrom or Miasma for best results.
PSN: vonhizzle | Pawn: Ignis
ALTS: vonhizzle2-6 | Aqua | Aer | Terra | Invidia | Eros

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#7
I'll give those methods a go when I start a new game; the plan for that one is a Magick Archer, so I'm gonna be going through another 100 levels as a Sorcerer at the end of that one too.

I've already gone ahead and farmed the Ur Dragon the rest of the way to 200. Gonna kill it a few more times so I can get my MK gear dragonforged before I head back to BBI. Funny thing about that is, I heard talk of the MK being a bad choice against it, but when I went on a test battle to see how I'd fare, I crushed it even harder than I ever did as a Sorcerer.

Here's hoping things go as smoothly against Daimon this time around...

Thanks for the tips, btw.

vonhizzle
9 months ago#8
Good luck on your next account. DD accounts are like Lays chips, you can't have just one!
PSN: vonhizzle | Pawn: Venus

DSXTheGreatest
9 months ago#9
Ain't that the truth?

Is there a such thing as a "jack of all trades" kind of build, one that puts your character in a place where they could work well in any vocation? Or is it better to just plan a build around a specific one?

vonhizzle
9 months ago#10
DSXTheGreatest posted...
Ain't that the truth?

Is there a such thing as a "jack of all trades" kind of build, one that puts your character in a place where they could work well in any vocation? Or is it better to just plan a build around a specific one?

Jack of all trades can be good. If you are making multiple accounts it would be my preference to make one arisen a strength build and one a magic build. For the pawns though a balanced build can be nice so they are more versatile. Here is the 550/550 build for pawns:

https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#af0000001b3f0000000000010000174c000000
PSN: vonhizzle | Pawn: Venus
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. A Sorcerer's Road to Level 200
  • Topic Archived