• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Earth Defense Force 2025
  3. Comparing to Insect Armageddon

User Info: RealmIyce

RealmIyce
4 weeks ago#1
IA is way better. The Japanese EDF titles, 2017 included are bigger games, but the levels get boring after 50+ anyways so I mean I'd rather have a better experience, even if it's shorter.

IA really shines in weapon variety, which is WAY better than other EDF titles, and it's WAY less cheesy with the dialogue, because let's face it, it's American made.

The hectors look way better, and have WAY WAY WAY better A.I. I mean compare the gun ships in IA to the drones in 2017 or 2025...I mean come on.

The classes in IA work better as well and feel more balanced and well rounded. The only point I can give 2025 here is the Winged armor plays better than the IA counterpart.

So yeah better enemies, better A.I., better dialogue and voice work, better classes, better balancing, better weapons. I'll take all of that in 15 levels over 100 levels of repeated dull gameplay.
I've been around for a long time. Really miss some of the old PS2 boards.

User Info: ShaolinAced

ShaolinAced
4 weeks ago#2
I like both games. This one is much more populated right now.
GT: EAZYACE Psn: EAZYACE8

User Info: gun_grave_

gun_grave_
4 weeks ago#3
I disagree IA looks boring and a lot worse than 2025.
GT: Joe Musashi82

User Info: UpbeatStream93

UpbeatStream93
3 weeks ago#4
Exept no it's not

While the campaign is too short, the missions are too long. Each mission could comfortably have been split into 2-3 more focused segments. The missions have no checkpoints, so if you die to that goddamn wasp in Ditch Slap at the very end because you had no idea there was going to be a goddamn wasp then you get to replay 20 minutes of shooting damage sponges until you get back to where you were.

Every level throws every enemy introduced so far at you. In mainline EDF your 1000 weapons are tools you choose carefully to suit your situation, but IA's situation is always "fight everything", so you have no choice but to pick a general loadout. Get your bog-standard, accurate assault rifle and grenade launcher and don't even think about changing weapons until you hit the next level.

Leveling and credit system was a grind. In main EDF you can play for 2 hours and be set with inferno-viable gear and playing whichever difficulty you prefer, but IA forces you to grind for hours upon hours to reach higher levels of play and not spend entire magazines on single ants. Main EDF will never force you to grind, it will merely allow it.

Even when you've leveled up you have to grind twice as much to afford more than one weapon at your tier.

Ants are smaller.
Robots are smaller.
Maps are smaller.
Explosions are smaller.
Buildings are smaller.

Shotguns are garbage that can't reach flying enemies. Shotguns are normally my standard weapon for pretty much everywhere, fliers in particular. They are not compensated for this shortcoming through any means at all. All weapons have infinite range except shotguns.

Fliers are everywhere. and far more annoying than in main games. They come and go everywhere, go at high speeds, do huge damage, tank a lot of damage, frequently hide behind buildings, and do a suicide attack after you kill them. If you don't have a Tactical on your team wasting a slot and 20 energy on the radar thing they're basically impossible to track.

Continuing from the previous point, main EDF gives you a ton of tools to deal with fliers. You get the radar, can surround yourself with NPCs that eat the relatively harmless chip damage, Reverse Shooter to heal yourself and your men up, highly effective turrets to just remove them, shotguns with great range and damage. None of that here, just snipe drones for 10 minutes until they stop respawning.

There's a special place in hell reserved for the guy who made the wasps in IA.
The spawn logic made the game bland. In main EDF enemies spawn in large groups, and you prepare for and fend off said group using tactics. IA enemies will spawn wherever, trickling in to replace each kill so you just kind of shoot stuff in all directions until things calm down and slightly different enemies start spawning in instead. There's no strategy, no preparing, no shift in pace. The game is exhausting.

Everything has way too much health.

No helicopters.

And in general vehicles are essentially non existent.

The power creep is far too high. Every tier of weapon has twice the firepower of the last one, so basically you spend three levels being far too weak to fight whatever the game is currently throwing at you until you level up once more and jump to being far too strong, then you level up again and become obscenely OP.

Edit: and almost forgot to mention garbage aim of your teammates who will guarantee send you flying thowards enemy swarm because game added friendly fire from NPC
GT: UndeadWarden
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: RealmIyce

RealmIyce
3 weeks ago#5
UpbeatStream93 posted...
Fliers are everywhere. and far more annoying than in main games. They come and go everywhere, go at high speeds, do huge damage, tank a lot of damage, frequently hide behind buildings, and do a suicide attack after you kill them. If you don't have a Tactical on your team wasting a slot and 20 energy on the radar thing they're basically impossible to track.

You make a lot of ridiculous points that ultimately all say the same thing - this game is too hard for me, but one in particular

"Fliers are everywhere. and far more annoying than in main games. They come and go everywhere, go at high speeds, do huge damage, tank a lot of damage, frequently hide behind buildings, and do a suicide attack after you kill them. If you don't have a Tactical on your team wasting a slot and 20 energy on the radar thing they're basically impossible to track."

So you prefer slow flying harmless drones that are just target practice, as apposed to actual gunships that have great AI and actually try to kill you. Yeah okay.

This alone gives you no validity. Your argument is null and void. The game is too difficult for you, I get it.
I've been around for a long time. Really miss some of the old PS2 boards.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: UpbeatStream93

UpbeatStream93
3 weeks ago#6
RealmIyce posted...
UpbeatStream93 posted...

You make a lot of ridiculous points that ultimately all say the same thing - this game is too hard for me, but one in particular

"Fliers are everywhere. and far more annoying than in main games. They come and go everywhere, go at high speeds, do huge damage, tank a lot of damage, frequently hide behind buildings, and do a suicide attack after you kill them. If you don't have a Tactical on your team wasting a slot and 20 energy on the radar thing they're basically impossible to track."

So you prefer slow flying harmless drones that are just target practice, as apposed to actual gunships that have great AI and actually try to kill you. Yeah okay.

This alone gives you no validity. Your argument is null and void. The game is too difficult for you, I get it.

RealmIyce posted...
UpbeatStream93 posted...

You haven't played much of 2025 do you, enemy speed and aggression is directly corresponding with game difficulty, so on hardest or inferno if you not careful you be swarmed by Drones/Vehicles/Dragons in moments (case and point mission 30 Brute Force, 38 Inferno, ECT.), difference is that 2025 has whole lot more ways to deal with situations, game gives you infinitely more flexibility by having wider assortment of guns and gun subtypes (not to mention just how satisfying is to use them).

But aside flyer thing can we talk about how IA doesn't have any sense of restraint? Great example 2-5 Cube where at the end of the mission you put against several nests spamming cyborg ants, Metal mantises and carriers spiders and bloody wasps.

If you enjoying the game more power to ya, it has it moments no doubt, but I genuinely recommend you go ahead and try spending more time with 2025/4.1 especially in multiplayer
GT: UndeadWarden

User Info: ScottTheRockGod

ScottTheRockGod
3 weeks ago#7
I don't really class IA as a proper EDF game. It's just another generic 3rd person shooter that lacks a good story and any sense of style/excitement. The weapons and enemies are so boring to use and fight.

Only cool things they did right in that game were the giant Hector mk2s which were actually fun to fight and the carrier's crashing into the ground in a cinematic way. Other than that it's hard to take your opinion seriously.
  1. Boards
  2. Earth Defense Force 2025
  3. Comparing to Insect Armageddon
  • Post New Message