• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  3. Trying to make HBG Shield Build

User Info: DesperateMonkey

DesperateMonkey
6 years ago#1
I feel like this is a mod that deserves more exploration than has been given. I think a lot of elitsts roam these boards and because of this, people believe they too are all super pro's (or pretend to be) who don't need any defensive capabilities.

I'd like to first point out that a common skill being used these days is Evade Extend, considered a staple skill for HBGs for its high defensive capabilities and boost to mobility. However, most of Evade Extends most important functions are carried out better by a Shield Mod (in theory).

a)A shield mod allows you to shoot at enemies even as they charge at you. You can block almost immediately after an attack, providing you with an extremely generous window that requires no precision or planning. You will also not be caught in awkward positions or get trapped in tight spaces.

b)Freeing up an armor skill can easily compensate for most of, if not all of, what power barrel would have provided.

Two major benefits to what I think the shield build allows:

1)Far greater defense. Yes you get chip damage but thats nothing you can't handle. With a stamina juice, you can block infinitely against any combo attacks.

2)Far greater attack power. I've been testing two builds before posting this.

First build is Griffon Blazooka with AuL, CE+3 and Recoil Down +1. Was able to safely crouch fire against various enemies and recrouch after every block fairly quickly. This would work even better online as crouching fire usually allows you to get many shots in but the downside being that the occasional attack cannot be dodged. Now you can fire until an enemy is about to hit you which actually is convenient as its faster than getting up yourself. I crouch fire both Normal 3 and Pierce, depending on the range.

Second build is Eclipse Gambit with Adrenaline +2, Challenger +2, CE+1 and Pierce Up with limiter removed. This is in comparison to my regular Adrenaline build which is Adren+2, CE+2, Pierce Up and Evade Extend. So far I've only tried this on Rathalos and it works amazingly well. I can block all attacks very easily and the chip damage is more than manageable with 40% health and top defense armor with BM helm. Carry regular potions to heal without going over 40%.

IMO, this is a far better build than the power barrel variant with evade extend. It allows me to aim in very dangerous situations and safely shoot at enemies facing me even if I do not know who he will choose for his next target. Being stationary with Piercing is a huge benefit as piercing requires careful aim to line up shots, something that is slowed down everytime you roll to either dodge or preemptively move into a safer location. Since it has extreme range (3-7 rolls for max damage with Pierce 3), this weapon benefits hugely from the stationary defense of the shield.

On top of this, you gain a much faster recovery from screams.

Again, I've only played against Rathalos with this setup and I will do more later. I imagine I will need Guard Boost against certain enemies in the future but for now, this makes using adrenaline extremely easy and safe for just about anyone.

Definitely would like some more advice on using the shield and also what builds/weapons would be best in this combination.
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H

User Info: Avoka66

Avoka66
6 years ago#2
I agree TC.

Only problem I have though is most (if not all) guns look ugly without the long barrel. otherwise I will definitely have shield on.

User Info: ShadowMaster684

ShadowMaster684
6 years ago#3
This really has me interested in trying the same sort of thing out. Just out of obvious direct inspiration from your sets, I'm thinking of throwing one of these sets together:

Recoil Down +1
Attack Up L
Challenger +2

or go with the same set except RD+2 and AUM with the Challenger +2.

Probably with the Hallowed Dracannon, I think. That way I don't have to worry about any negative affinity, and just go for pure damage. I'd probably opt for more recoil reduction, though.

Either way, you make this concept sound pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
NNID: Vanguard_VII

User Info: apolloflameowns

apolloflameowns
6 years ago#4
It sounds cool in theory, but in reality it's just like AGGL against normal GL. It can get the job done and is better than normal playing (under limited circumstances) but in most cases a well played hbg will outdo the one that spams the shield.
OFFICIAL KID ICARUS UPRISING CHAMPION/FUSION MASTER
Online Name = ******** (All Stars in Name)

User Info: ShadowMaster684

ShadowMaster684
6 years ago#5
Ah! It's Debbie, right on queue.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
NNID: Vanguard_VII

DesperateMonkey
6 years ago#6
I have no idea what he means by spamming theh shield. You aren't suppose to stand their getting hit... Any good player will only benefit from this.

You can choose to block for risky situations but you can dodge normally.

@Shadow

thats a pretty good build with Challenger +2. I am having a hard time making a good Normal S spam set.

I've now tried the piercing adrenaline set on both Uragaan and Rathalos and they work amazingly. You can survive blocking the roll into chin attack from the Uragaan which was pretty. Drink a regular potion and you get pretty much the same thing back.

So far, I've found this far better than Power Barrel. Unlike what Apollo says, I don't find this situational or specific. Its pretty useful all around. When you are using adrenaline, you can't take a full hit from anything and this prevents those few times (or many...) where you would have been in a risky situation without the shield.

Essentially, you are using adrenaline but you can survive 2-3 hits... its like having adrenaline at full health.

Edit: Going to test this on lagiacrus next. His double hip check and annoying no startup rushes should be a lot easier with this.
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H

apolloflameowns
6 years ago#7
The problem with using the shield is you're doing inherently less damage per shot. Evade extender isn't only used to dodge attacks but it's also used to position yourself into optimal range. You lack that mobility. Hell from the sound of it you're just spamming siege mode in a similar way to how AGGL is played. Overall is the strategy noob friendly? Definitely. Can it work? Potentially. But can it outdo proper playing? No it can't.

DesperateMonkey
6 years ago#8
Um, yes it can easily outdamage normal playing. Shield >>>>>> evade extender for getting those shots in. In fact, you can safely stay at the proper angles longer and shooting an enemy facing you isn't a gamble.

Also, you are only talking about the crouching fire build which is great in teams because enemies only occasionally get at you when they are not being stun locked.

Your less damage per hit theory doesn't work.

1)Crouching fire MORE than makes up for that with pure shots.
2)The non-crouching build allows just as much damage since you don't need evade extend. In fact, since it makes it so easy to run adrenaline, most people will be outdoing power barrel by a large margin.

Now if you are here to actually discuss, then go ahead. But if your arguments are going to boil down to "everyone shouldn't get hit with evade extend, bla bla bla, we should all run heroics", then I have no interest in that discussion. Again, this topic isn't for those who think they are untouchable gods/egos. Its for the 99.999% of people who play normally and get hit sometimes and even CARTS sometimes (Yeah, people cart, can you believe it?).

Its certainly not for noobs. Its for experienced players who can make a good build and know how to dodge well as well as make good decisions in terms of how to use the shield.

apolloflameowns
6 years ago#9
experienced player + auto guard. Lol wut

DesperateMonkey
6 years ago#10
@Shadow

I found that if you have an Attack +10 charm then you can make

AuM
Weakness Exploit
Adrenaline +2
Normal Up

I would recommend weakness exploit for Normal S3 weapons.

My table has a +4 tenderizer +10 attack and with it, you can get AuL in that build but I don't have it.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  3. Trying to make HBG Shield Build
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A