• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Not valid housing?
TheCManator 8 years ago#1
So i'd like to rearrange the npcs into different houses. The housing menu makes it look possible, but every time i click on a house, it says it's not valid housing, even though they have npcs living in them and afaik meet all requirements (6x10+, workbench+chair, multiple lights, walls placed on every square.) I even have an extra empty house.

Am i missing something or is it not possible? Glitch? Any answers appreciated.
This topic has been CManated.
_alcheim 8 years ago#2
It doesn't allow certain gaps in the floor or ceiling, and sometimes fails when the house is irregularly shaped. (For instance, if you got wood platforms acting as flooring across a 6 tile gap).
TheCManator 8 years ago#3
Hmm... all my houses are rectangles, with no gaps. Are they supposed to have floors? I basically built them on top of level dirt.

They are small though, all got filled with crafting stuff and chests pretty quickly. Does that matter?
Dagnoth 8 years ago#4
TheCManator posted...
Hmm... all my houses are rectangles, with no gaps. Are they supposed to have floors? I basically built them on top of level dirt.

They are small though, all got filled with crafting stuff and chests pretty quickly. Does that matter?

The dirt floor just makes ur town look poor.
"Evahnya durhl axio qwexixy" - Stroke victim
TheTwig1987 8 years ago#5
Is the door opened inward? The game does get picky about that sort of thing right? I made mine either a 6x11 or 6x12 to compensate for it.
jubjub_28 8 years ago#6
you need to have a floor. dirt wont do.
We cannot even imagine to begin to imagine the unimaginable.
TheCManator 8 years ago#7
Haha well it's less a town and more like convinently located warehouses so poor is ok. I just don't want my dryad 20 miles from corruption and i want my guide in my main crafting house.

But i think i figured it out, I was trying to manage them from the menu but I guess i have to be in the house i want to move them to? That would explain everything.
DrCidd 8 years ago#8
TheCManator posted...
Haha well it's less a town and more like convinently located warehouses so poor is ok. I just don't want my dryad 20 miles from corruption and i want my guide in my main crafting house.

But i think i figured it out, I was trying to manage them from the menu but I guess i have to be in the house i want to move them to? That would explain everything.

Yeah, I was gonna say this earlier. On the PC version you can simply just click inside a house, but on the console version you have to be standing there.

For some reason I just erased the message and went on my way though.
I used to think my brain was my favorite part of my body...Then I realized what was making me think that!
Zeran_kariashi 8 years ago#9
the floor doesn't matter. I carved the Dryad a house out of dirt, into a small hill, just outside my town, and she went in no problems....you just have to make absolutely sure that the place where the NPC will be standing has plenty of breathing room or it'll fail.

just make sure there's a good 3-4 block space behind the chair, with no platforms above (r at least 7 or more blocks higher) or below (never place platforms below..it counts as an obstruction), and that the door if it opens inward has at least 2 more blocks of clearance. Just play around with it...you eventually get a feel for it and can tighten things up later.
3DS FC: 4055 - 5001 - 2646
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Not valid housing?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A