POLL: THE Best Music

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Kano33339

Kano33339
5 years ago#31
FFIX was nothing special for me, it may have been Uematsu's favorite work, but I think he's done much better before and after.

FFVI is easily my favorite, some of the character themes are just perfect. When I first played the game, I found myself standing still in areas so I can hear the music without it being interrupted by random battles. IMO, 'Serpent Trench' is the best underwater theme I've heard out of any game I've played. 'Mt. Koltz' sounds more epic than anything I've heard from FFXII, and of course there's 'Aria Di Mezzo Carattere'. Sorry, but I cannot be accused of nostalgia, since the first time I played and beat the game was just under a year ago.

FFVIII comes pretty close, and my favorite before FFVI. A few choice numbers off the top of my head are 'Galbadia Garden', 'Mission', 'Junction', 'Man with the Machine Gun', and 'The Landing'. Even after the prolonged battle length due to drawing, the battle theme doesn't bother me, even during endgame sessions.

FFX is a great OST, though suffers from inconsistencies due to Junya Nakano's more or less forgettable contributions for the game, excluding the extremely ominous sounding 'Twilight' piece. It is home to my favorite piano collections though, I'll give it that. Unfortunately after years of playing the game, 'To Zanarkand' has lost most of its effect on me and is tiring to hear. Opposite of that, the ending theme for the game is the most moving piece I've heard out of almost any video game soundtrack and makes the impact all the more bittersweet.

On the other hand.. FFXII is the worst FF OST I've heard period, though it was rather.. fitting for the weak story and shallow characters. Tracks are needlessly bombastic, as if just for the sake of epicness. I don't feel it has any of the emotional range and contrast that prior FF titles excelled in, feels disassociated, and lacks any memorable themes that brings back memories. If anything, it sounds like the music began to revolve around the game itself, rather then the game revolving around the music, which created a sort of synergy that made the previous games' experiences as great as they were.

IMO, it was an extremely forgettable and disappointing OST. Even if the gameplay is solid, it's only a portion of the overall game experience. Along with the story and characters, it's exactly why I'll never be able to appreciate FFXII as much as I do the other titles.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Currently playing: FFX, The World Ends With You, Tales of the Abyss, Madden NFL 12, MGS2: Substance.

User Info: Reginleif20

Reginleif20
5 years ago#32
VanilleHopen posted...
Final fantasy VIII is at the bottom of my favorites list.. HOwever, it's music is amazing I cannot deny that.. It very well could be the best in the series..

6,7 and 10 also have great music and even X-2 has some good ones..(Yuna's ballad, title screen)

FFIX's is overrated though imo.

Sometimes I think it is overrated
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

User Info: donkeyjack

donkeyjack
5 years ago#33
FF7, 8 or 9.

It's too hard to choose.

But I usually go with FF7.
Me>>>>>GOD, BUDDHA, THOR, ODIN, POSEIDON, ALLAH, SANTA CLAUS, INVISIBLE DRAGON HAVING ME AT GUN POINT AS I'M TYPING THIS.

User Info: Terra-Branford

Terra-Branford
5 years ago#34
FFVI, it makes anything sound better, no matter how good the song was before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603j4JshdLA

User Info: Innerscope

Innerscope
5 years ago#35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik
"|0| 1 {4/\/ -|-'/|23 1/|/ |_33+"
**** this. I'm not gonna even bother reading it

User Info: theofficefan99

theofficefan99
5 years ago#36
I went with X, but VIII, XIII, VII, VI, etc. etc. are all honorable mentions.

I love FFIX too but I don't think the soundtrack is that great aside from the tracks during the CGI cutscenes and a few other tracks here and there.
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin

Reginleif20
5 years ago#37
Innerscope posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik

Meh
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Reginleif20
5 years ago#38
theofficefan99 posted...

I love FFIX too but I don't think the soundtrack is that great aside from the tracks during the CGI cutscenes and a few other tracks here and there.

Putting XIII in the same level as those FFs, not something you usually see

User Info: ValcristPL

ValcristPL
5 years ago#39
theofficefan99 posted...

Your obsession with CGI is creepy.
Currently playing: Dark Souls.

User Info: theofficefan99

theofficefan99
5 years ago#40
ValcristPL posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Your obsession with CGI is creepy.

Thanks. And I only pointed it out because the only tracks that were orchestrated were the CGI cutscenes, IIRC.
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived