• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. The Buddy system is less about 'like' and more about 'tolerate'...

User Info: 71ravn

71ravn
5 years ago#1
Topic. Really, I'm kinda hating them.

---

D. Dog
D.D is great for attacking enemies or extracting guys, but here's the thing -- he has a nasty tendency, whether inadvertently or on purpose, to ruin your shots by walking in front of you, or lying down in front of you when you're set up for a prone scope shot.
I've been doing Mission 03 ("A Hero's Way") for the kill-based emblems/codenames, and one of the non-S-ranked guards I shot managed to survive a ranged/scoped Kabarga blast, and nearly ran up on me when D.D.'s sudden ruining of a perfect sight picture forced me to drop>move>reacquire>shoot.
There's also the problem that's especially noticeable in the early game when you can only send him out to harass enemies. If you send him out to physically harass/engage enemies and line up to shoot the distracted soldiers, he'll come running directly back to you if he gets shot. This is a two-point problem as not only will his retreat usually put him directly between you and your target, making your shot impossible, but the guard will be firing at D.D. -- and incidentally, you.
Mission 03 ("A Hero's Way"), go to the edge of the small cliff overlooking Guard Post #25 until you can't push forward any further, tranq a guard, and have D.D. move to Fulton him; when he's done with that, he'll come back up to you -- or more specifically, he'll glitch his way back up, which is wtf considering he takes the scenic way down. This should be impossible given D.D.'s glitching, the slope's steepness, and D.D. managing to squeeze between me and the edge -- and get himself shot at the last second.

TYVFM for ruining a perfect headshot YET AGAIN, D.D. -- it almost makes you getting blown up by eight blocks of C4 worth that heroism hit.
Additionally, he'll take his time if you're not scrambling away from barrels or planted/thrown explosives, which can force a heroism hit because he got gassed or blown up. On the bright side, it's not as bad as [that Mission]...

D. HORSE
You can mount D.H. while running, but it awkwardly requires you to press into him. Thing is, if you call D.H. to saddle him with somebody while you're moving just a bit from a relative standstill, he'll move away from you, forcing you to stop completely so he stops, lest you be forced to chase him down, which can make him extremely aggravating in Mission 01 if/when trying to saddle him with Miller.

D. WALKER
D.W. with the Intercept Head is basically a pop-n-drop turret, with Intercept Mode not being what one might think. One would think that he would function as a sentry turret and a sort of missile, but that's not the case -- he'll only attack enemies that he can see, and won't do crap about incoming grenades and mortar rounds. The latter is baffling, given how he'd be fully capable of it with the Gatling Gun, and it'd be damned impressive if he downed them at the apex of their arcs.

QUIET
Quiet goes nuts on the trigger in Cover Mode or Alert Status, shooting any-and-every guy she sees, which is appreciable in clearing out a base, which was the reason I joked that she'll destroy small outposts: "Quiet walks into a base; 3 seconds later, OUTPOST CAPTURED."
However, this becomes extremely aggravating when you:
1) wake a guy for interrogation out in the open, only for her to shoot him, forcing you to take him inside where she can't shoot him.
2) are ADSing a guy for either observation, or taking the shot yourself -- and she ruins it for you.
Besides that, it's also annoying when she settles for headshots on helmeted (but not RS'd) guys when the rest of them is so obviously unprotected that even a blind man can see it.
"Why - why's your helmet say 'zero'?" // "He was no challenge. My skills have not been tested. I need something more."
PSN: Raven-Ghosthawk
(message deleted)

User Info: Orange9

Orange9
5 years ago#3
quiet :(
dd is alright for marking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cBRZ75_PEs

71ravn
5 years ago#4
Updated ver. of the first post (1/2); option to delete that one does not appear:

---
D. Dog
D.D is great for remote tasks out to 40m, but unfortunately, he has a nasty tendency -- whether inadvertently or on purpose -- to ruin your shots by 1) walking in front of you, or 2) lying down in front of you when you're set up for a perfect prone scope shot.
I've been doing Mission 03 ("A Hero's Way") for the kill-based emblems/codenames, and one of the non-S-ranked guards I shot managed to survive a ranged/scoped Kabarga blast, and nearly ran up on me when D.D.'s sudden ruining of a perfect sight picture forced me to move and re-aim.
There's also the problem, especially noticeable in the early game when you can only send him out to physically harass enemies, where he'll sometimes get shot at. If you're trying to shoot the now-distracted soldiers and they successfully hit him, he'll come running in a straight line back to you, with the side effect that the soldier(s) will still be firing at D.D. -- and incidentally, you; at the same time, you won't be able to see your target without dropping>moving because D.D. will be body-blocking your shot.
Mission 03 ("A Hero's Way"), go to the edge of the small cliff overlooking Guard Post #25 until you can't push forward any further, tranq a guard, and have D.D. move to Fulton him; when he's done with that, he'll come back up to you -- or more specifically, he'll glitch his way back up, which is wtf considering he takes the scenic way down. This should be impossible given D.D.'s glitching, the slope's steepness, and D.D. managing to squeeze between me and the edge -- and get himself shot at the last second.
Additionally, he'll take his time if you're not scrambling away from barrels or planted/thrown explosives, which can force a Heroism hit because he got gassed up or blown to Mars because he reacted late to you doing a last-second evac. Would've been better if he reacted like the enemy does -- instantly -- but on the bright side, it's not as bad as [that Mission]...
There's also a small issue of sending him out on trips if the guy is at-or-inside 40m, yet he'll shake his head if the guy is past 40m; at the moment, not sure how much distance the first case can total before D.D. will outrightly refuse to do it. Also, he sometimes has to be told twice to extract a guy, even if the guy is tranq'd, inside of 40m, and being looked at when I give the command to "Do It".

D. HORSE
You can mount D.H. while running, but it requires you to press into him, which can get awkward. In itself, that isn't a problem; however, trying to saddle him with someone can be -- if you're moving even a tiny bit, he'll inexplicably move away so long as you still are moving, which can become very frustrating as you'll chase him down and he just won't stop.

D. WALKER
D.W.'s Scouting and Intercept Heads aren't what one might think. The description on the first implies some degree of autonomy, while the latter implies that it might have some point-defense capability; unfortunately, it is neither autonomously mobile or target-seeking, nor can it defend itself by shooting down incoming grenades or mortar rounds, the latter forcing you to call him over to avoid him getting hit too drastically; incidentally, this can possibly (and inadvertently) draw incoming fire to you.
"Why - why's your helmet say 'zero'?" // "He was no challenge. My skills have not been tested. I need something more."

71ravn
5 years ago#5
Updated ver. of the first post (2/2):

---
QUIET
Quiet goes nuts in Cover Mode or Alert Status, shooting any-and-every guy she sees, which is appreciable in clearing out a base, and the reason I joked that she'll destroy small outposts: "Quiet walks into a base; 3 seconds later, OUTPOST CAPTURED."
However, this becomes extremely aggravating when you:
1) wake a guy for interrogation out in the open, only for her to shoot him, forcing you to take him inside where she can't shoot him.
2) are ADSing a guy for either observation, or taking the shot yourself -- and she shoots him.
Besides that, it's also annoying when she settles for headshots on helmeted (but not RS'd) guys when the rest of them is so obviously unprotected, which is problematic if she's hung on taking them out while the enemy is triangulating her position.

---
@Orange9 (post #3): That's about the only thing D.D. is truly good for.
D.H. doesn't get as much hate because outside of certain missions this late in the game, I've no real reason to use him.
D.W. is just confusing when it comes to how far they got with A.I. development. Given Huey's progress, it seems relatively simple to slap a radar in him, give him the Gatling Gun, and turn him into a Goalkeeper, but it seems he only got a motion-detecting [thermal sensor], which explains much; incidentally, if such is the case, this (along with the Sneaking Suit and NVGs) theorizes that the Skulls might not generate any body heat because IM seems to completely ignore them.
As for Quiet, I use the Skyrim tactic to circumvent armor, basically going for unprotected limbs or lower body if a headshot aimed carefully to slip between helmet and body armor problematically (and inexplicably) strikes either. You'd think a sniper as specialized as her would think of this alternative, but she obviously doesn't -- and like I said, this usually gets her lit up like an NY/4J fireworks special.

User Info: Xepthrichros

Xepthrichros
5 years ago#6
D walker is crap. The rest of them are relatively useful.
One Way is true, only love is permitted.
Now playing Kingdom Hearts HD Remixes

User Info: Ace10of27Spades

Ace10of27Spades
5 years ago#7
I like them all, and I also like not using them too. For me, not bad either way. You gotta know how/when/if to use them. You have to take thier strengths and weaknesses into account that is all.
If everybody on Earth quit being butthurt, we would achieve world peace.

User Info: Bulleta

Bulleta
5 years ago#8
I think they are most useful when used for scouting and recon. Sending Quiet to scout a distant place is always useful. D. Dog's constant marking is also useful, but if he gets in your way too much you can use an upgraded D. Walker in his place. Once you get the surveillance head (or whatever it is called) you can set him up at the outskirts of the place you are operating within and he will gradually pick out the enemies as you move through the place. Just be sure to park him in a relatively safe area.

D. Horse is just there because Kojima liked Red Dead Redemption.
"Is it tasty?"

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
5 years ago#9
D-horse does have one good function, at least I heard about someone doing this in the mission to rescue huey, call the horse over throw huey and i'd assume this would work with any misison you need to extract someone by chopper. then leave on foot and once at the landing zone call the horse over and huey or whatever prisoner will still be on him. thus allowing you to still use your primary weapon during your escape and less risk of the person getting shot/killed.

but I mainly read that as advice for rescuing huey without him taking any damage.
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

71ravn
5 years ago#10
@Xephthrichros (post #6): For being a pop-and-drop with an 'intercept' mode, I have to agree. Another thing I found out today is that he doesn't hunt so much as react -- if he has a clear line-of-sight to live enemies that are under smoke, he won't shoot them so long as they aren't shooting at him.

@Ace10of27Spades (post #7): Compensating for each one's S/W may be true, but to each their own.

@Bulleta (post #9): Good point for Quiet, but for DD, I'm using him most often with the Fulton Vest. Much as it grinds my gears when he doesn't listen immediately for no apparent reason when he's well within range, the fact that he isn't attacked when he goes out to Fulton soldiers is about the only other thing that saves him from disuse -- while he sends their buddies sky-high, they simply just stand there gaping, then go "Damn" and call it in. Provided that you haven't run/failed Reflex Mode, no shots are fired.

@mooreandrew (post #9): Never considered using D. Horse. What I did was mount D. Walker, pick up Huey, and take him to the chopper. When it resumes after the cutscene, you're left on foot with Huey across your back. At that point, there is only one rule -- don't bother getting back on D. Walker, just get to the chopper. Go around the mountain, hugging the left-hand side until you can beeline across the road -- this should keep some of the hillside between you and it as you round the curve. Additionally, an SMG [=for the drones] and a fast(er) character [=either Snake or an Athlete] are suggested.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. The Buddy system is less about 'like' and more about 'tolerate'...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A