• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Why is Tomokazu Fukushima no longer writing the seires? And is Murata bad?

User Info: drakedogma

drakedogma
6 years ago#1
(Re-uploaded because was originally deleted for one curse word)

MGS games as they were written by

MGS 1 - Kojima and Tomokazu Fukushima

MGS 2 - Kojima and Fukushima

MGS 3 - Kojima, Fukushima, and Shuyo Murata

MGS 4 - Kojima, Murata

MGS Peace walker - Kojima

In terms of story, my opinion is: MGS 2 > MGS 1 > MGS Peace Walker > MGS 3 > Monkey poop > MGS 4

You may not have the same opinions on the story as I do, but is Murata just a cancer on the writing of this series?

And why is Tomokazu Fukushima no longer writing the story? MGS 1 and 2 had really good conspiracy aspects to it, mind-warping level plot twists and great dialogue where as MGS 4 was just pretentious cheesy quotes that every character seems to memorize for special occasions.....Who honestly holds in the line "The shadows cannot be erased unless the fire is put out?"

Hated Drebin (The monkey was put there because everyone thought Drebin was too boring but even the monkey didn't help), hated Johnny X Meryl Relationship, HATED The other two characters on Rat Patrol, hated Vamp and Naomi (Weren't as good as MGS 1 or MGS 2), did not like Sunny, hated the downplaying of the drama within the codec conversations, unbelievably hated Raiden's story, Raiden was much more simplistic in MGS 4 than how he was in MGS 2

Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker are Kojima's last games, I HOPE Fukushima has written this game, I have no idea why Kojima wouldn't use a brilliant writer like him, I'm glad Murata is no longer writing the series, but why boot Fukushima? Does anyone have any ideas why Fukushima is gone?

User Info: DarkSymbiote

DarkSymbiote
6 years ago#2
Peace Walker was written entirely by Kojima? This explains it. No one was there to keep him in tow. Then again, MGS2 turned out the way it was even with Fukushima. So there is no formula to a good MGS story it seems.
My Fable Anniversary Review:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/X360/717914-fable-anniversary/reviews/review-157246

User Info: RickMoranis

RickMoranis
6 years ago#3
I like the plot of all the games, I may like MGS4 a bit less. But good or bad most of the series has a very high entertainment level.

The fact that Kojima was the sole writer for Peace Walker is interesting, I didn't know that. That might explain why most of the cast are one dimensional characters.

Maybe Kojima is a bit like George Lucas. He has great ideas, but he needs other people to act as a filter for his vision. For example, most of what people seem to love about the original Star Wars trilogy were things added by Lucas' producers. Han Solo was originally going to be an alien and Leia was going to be Luke's love intrest instead. Luckily other people had better sense than he did when it came to good story writing and his overall vision benefited from it. And then Lucas went on to write the new prequel trilogy, alone.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I can't say if Murata is bad or not. It's very possible that MGS4 could have been much worse without him leaving Kojima on his own.
Moranis 3:16 says I just shrunk your ass!

User Info: eric_otness

eric_otness
6 years ago#4
Well, I removed Shuyo Murata's writing credit from Peace Walker on the Metal Gear wiki, assuming what you said was true.

EDIT: Wait, are you sure Murata wasn't involved in writing Peace Walker and that Kojima exclusively wrote it? Bluerock said he was credited for writing it.

User Info: DarkSymbiote

DarkSymbiote
6 years ago#5
eric_otness posted...
Well, I removed Shuyo Murata's writing credit from Peace Walker on the Metal Gear wiki, assuming what you said was true.

The heck did you do that for?

IMDb states Shuyo Murata was involved in writing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531061/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers
My Fable Anniversary Review:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/X360/717914-fable-anniversary/reviews/review-157246

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
6 years ago#6
DarkSymbiote posted...
eric_otness posted...

Yeah, why not just, you know, boot up the game and watch the credits?

Oh wait...it's Weedle, yeah I'm not surprised he didn't think that through very much.

And even if it is true, why in the ever lasting hell would you think it's a good idea to take the word of someone on gamefaqs who provides no proof to his claims? Really, that's like someone actually agreeing with any one of tonics crackpot theories.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.

User Info: eric_otness

eric_otness
6 years ago#7
riddlebox89 posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...
eric_otness posted...

Yeah, why not just, you know, boot up the game and watch the credits?

Oh wait...it's Weedle, yeah I'm not surprised he didn't think that through very much.

And even if it is true, why in the ever lasting hell would you think it's a good idea to take the word of someone on gamefaqs who provides no proof to his claims? Really, that's like someone actually agreeing with any one of tonics crackpot theories.

I made a mistake. Okay? See, I can admit to making mistakes.

User Info: high_contrast87

high_contrast87
6 years ago#8
Its difficult to know exactly how good a writer Murata is. He did however write and direct ZOE 2 The Second Runner which I thought was fantastic - in terms of gameplay more that story. Story wise it was serviceable, just standard anime fare.

Fukushima, I miss as I do prefer the titles he was involved with. Much as I miss Jerely Blaustein who localised the original MGS1 but was dropped afterwards for apparently changing too much of the original japanese text. As a result the MGS2 translation was terrible, and was doine by someone who apprently hated the script.

User Info: Emoney244

Emoney244
6 years ago#9
Wikipedia says Murata is writing Ground Zeroes and not The Phantom Pain. Guess we can't confirm that till we see the credits ingame and yes MGS4 is terribly written.

User Info: raikov15

raikov15
6 years ago#10
Wow you thought Peace Walker's story was better than Snake Eater?
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Why is Tomokazu Fukushima no longer writing the seires? And is Murata bad?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A