• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. MGSV TPP estimated at 6 square miles

User Info: James_4ort

James_4ort
7 years ago#1
did some very basic analysis... (and please forgive me but i am estimating based off relative figures, so dont flame me)

from this image
http://imgur.com/phgKE0F

and real time footage, i have estimated each square grid on his map to be about 120ft by 120ft via the long side of the small tent (about 20 ft; we see snake very close to these in the TGS footage).

http://imgur.com/1FgeUIH

the main portion of the GZ map contains about 39 grid blocks. Which equates to an average of about 6.25x6.25 blocks(long x wide)(6.25=square root of 39)

6.25 x my estimated 120ft allows this conversion..

((6.25 x 6.25)120ft)
(750ft x 750ft) = the estimated avg size of GZ

Now we can estimate the size of the all of TPP combined based on this article.
http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=9830

(750ft x 750ft) x 300
(750ft x 225000ft) = 168750000 square ft = 6 square miles

or about 2.44 miles long and 2.44 miles wide

I cant imagine any less than 3 countries, plus extra areas like Cyprus and Mother Base. so at that point were looking at 3 maps, each around 2 square miles.

Let me note that I was not at all being generous.

I low-balled it to not bring out to much hype..

BUT the game should currently be around this size, and it at least gives us a relative idea of what we should expect. What do you guys think?

other games to compare to
gtalV = 6 sq miles
gta SA = 13.9
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true

User Info: joegt123

joegt123
7 years ago#2
Redid your math? It wasn't 6 when you posted this in that other topic.
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)

User Info: James_4ort

James_4ort
7 years ago#3
joegt123 posted...
Redid your math? It wasn't 6 when you posted this in that other topic.

Yes it was. I reposted to ensure the information wouldn't die in an old topic
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true

User Info: RomeoMinola

RomeoMinola
7 years ago#4
I'm still not sure what to make of this. It'll be hard to determine how many countries we'll see until we know exactly how KojiPro intends to fill the open spaces.

Still, nice work with the calculations. Hopefully we'll get some more info with regards to how the open world will be structured out.

User Info: Dave_Gahan

Dave_Gahan
7 years ago#5
why tc
PUT IN WERK
HOUSTON TEXANS - SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME

User Info: DarkGam3r

DarkGam3r
7 years ago#6
I'm starting to think that GZ will have more areas than simply Camp Omega, but I think you have a really close estimate with what we know so far.
As gamers get older there's an expectation for games to mature with us, but the fact remains that simple fun with friends will never go out of style

User Info: Final_Knight

Final_Knight
7 years ago#7
I believe I read somewhere that the Ground Zeroes map is 1/300 the scale of the Phantom Pain map/maps.

User Info: joegt123

joegt123
7 years ago#8
Final_Knight posted...
I believe I read somewhere that the Ground Zeroes map is 1/300 the scale of the Phantom Pain map/maps.

That's what he based this entire thing on. He went and measured out the approximate area of camp omega and multiplied it by 300.
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)

User Info: Seifross2010

Seifross2010
7 years ago#9
Is there any confirmation that TPP is one big, open world, or is it several "open world" areas we can fly to?

I'd just assumed it was a collection of massive open areas that we do various missions on, not literally one big world (as in, no loading).

User Info: RomeoMinola

RomeoMinola
7 years ago#10
Seifross2010 posted...
Is there any confirmation that TPP is one big, open world, or is it several "open world" areas we can fly to?

I'd just assumed it was a collection of massive open areas that we do various missions on, not literally one big world (as in, no loading).

It's a bit hard to tell at this point. Kojima has said you'll be able to fly from country to country but we don't know if he meant seamlessly or with loading screen jumps between.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. MGSV TPP estimated at 6 square miles
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A