• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. BLU experts, what are the optimal spell liadouts for all 3 Mimic Roles?
FlameMagician 1 year ago#11
There's also that Boom is less potency
uutrexx 1 year ago#12
Sonic Boom's potency is less by 10 but it's the same as Sharpened Knife if Peculiar Light is up.
I finally have a PS5!
Now playing: who cares lol
MajinUltima 1 year ago#13
FlameMagician posted...
It's not a waste though. It's called weaving.
It is a waste because it eats a spell slot on a spell you're not going to use because you're not going to be at melee range often, so you'll use Sonic Boom.

Hyper Inferno posted...
On the other hand, unless a mechanic specifically calls for being far away
I mean, one assumes minimaxing is a priority for legit content where mechanics and positions and spreading out are a thing.
What kind of scrub makes a bad spell set with Sharpened Knife to minmax something with the difficulty of a target dummy which isn't useful as challenge increases?

Hyper Inferno posted...
Condensed Libra is worth taking on exactly one party member to keep up at all times and that's it.
Not really. It's completely RNG, any version of the buff overwrites another. It sure as hell isn't worth eating 5-6 slots on 8 party members to play around it. Conveniently, I believe the Astral debuff is Fire Wind Lightning so Sonic Boom and Electrogenesis are both covered by it, as well as most aspected Primal spells. But how many GCDs do you waste fishing for it before it stops being a gain at all.
I feel like as you get to content challenging enough for this to be worthwhile, the janky Tank mechanics mean the Tanks have much more important things to track and really don't have the spare GCDs to fish for the right debuff, as easy as it is to just say "Oh the tank will do it".

And, again, if they don't because the content is easy... then who gives a **** how well you minmaxed a free clear? It wasn't challenging and you could clear it with half the dps or meme builds.
Herein I commit the chronicle of the traveler. Shepherd to the stars in the dark. Where you walk, my dearest friend, fate shall surely follow.
FlameMagician 1 year ago#14
Theory crafting is only really a good idea by those that clear content

Imagine thinking that BLU doesn't have slots available
BakusaiTenketsu 1 year ago#15
Is Fire Agnon also acceptable in lieu of Sonic Boom?
Seraphor 1 year ago#16
So offguard is a 15s 5% damage boost, it's essentially Trick Attack, which makes it essential.

Libra is an almost constant 5% damage buff, so long as you take half a second to identify which spell you need to spam, and this makes it worthless?
Hyper Inferno 1 year ago#17
You don't fish for a specific buff with Libra unless it's the Final Sting portion of the fight.

Even if only the DPS Blue Mages are the only ones in the party who have enough slots to hit all three weaknesses, that's still a DPS gain for the MT to keep Libra up because the MT's damage is so low. And if the MT happens to hit the weakness on the DPS filler that the Healer or OT specs are carrying, all the better.

The MT's 220 filler spells are worth 66 potency. So if a cast of Condensed Libra allows for a gain of 66 potency over the rest of the party for its 30 second duration, it was worth it DPS wise. A single filler spell under Libra gains 11 potency. So that's 44 potency across the 4 DPS for each GCD. With 11 casts under each Libra, that's a damage gain of 484 potency across just the DPS.

The MT's damage is so low compared to the rest of the party, that even if Libra landed on the correct debuff only 1/3rd of the time, it's still mathematically superior to the MT doing a filler spell.

Offguard is a little different than Libra because it's a weird ogcd with a cast time whereas Libra is a full GCD.

Fire Agnon at 200 potency for weaving is not as good as Sonic Boom's 210 unless you're dealing with an AoE situation that still requires top DPS and weaving. For top end fights, AoE sections usually means adds which are usually vulnerable to the boatload of status that Blue has (including instant death/gravity).
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
-Adam Savage, The Mythbusters
BakusaiTenketsu 1 year ago#18
My thought was that Fire Agnon is both fire and physical, so it should benefit from 66% of Libra's debuff at any given time.

But, yeah, for some reason I had it in my mind that FA and SB were the same potency, but bring 20 points less than Max is problematic when it's already debatable in this topic if a 10 point loss is ok.
MajinUltima 1 year ago#19
BakusaiTenketsu posted...
Is Fire Agnon also acceptable in lieu of Sonic Boom?
220 to 200 is a really stiff drop.
Fire Angon is very useful for fulling certain Masked Carnival conditions since it is Physical Fire and Piercing.
It counts as Physical for reflect skills I believe, like Azulmagia's in certain phases.

Seraphor posted...
Libra is an almost constant 5% damage buff, so long as you take half a second to identify which spell you need to spam, and this makes it worthless?
If you're doing something easy enough where you can be bothered to waste that many spell slots, that much common-use bar space (since obviously you won't have your filler spam off in the far east of your bars), and can be bothered to pay attention to that rather than mechanics... sure.
At that point though, the content is probably too easy to really be bothered.

BakusaiTenketsu posted...
My thought was that Fire Agnon is both fire and physical, so it should benefit from 66% of Libra's debuff at any given time.
5% of 200 is 10 though, so effectively 210 66% of the time. Sonic Boom is 210 100% of the time and would still benefit from 1/3. Even with a 100% uptime, that would only bring Fire Angon up to equal with a Sonic Boom with no buffs.

Fire Angon for AOE purposes might be worth considering in some situations, but I expect you won't often need to move much during AOE and, as such, Electrogenesis, Glower or Alpine Draft are likely to be the better ranged AOE options. Besides which, rotating Lv5 Death will often cover these needs to the extent that an AOE button is unlikely to be a major consideration outside of dungeons.

If you aren't doing challenging things though, I personally like Abyssal Transfixion as my filler because it is a very aesthetically pleasing skill.
Herein I commit the chronicle of the traveler. Shepherd to the stars in the dark. Where you walk, my dearest friend, fate shall surely follow.
Excalibur 1 year ago#20
I SUPER don't understand this whole "you can't justify wasting that many spell slots for Libra" argument. My DPS loadout covers all of the essentials, has a spell for each Libra alignment, and even keeps Self Destruct and Level 5 Death set at all times, and I STILL have spare slots to burn on situational things like the Tours. Hell, even my healer loadout still manages to cover each of the three Libra alignments to no detriment.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. BLU experts, what are the optimal spell liadouts for all 3 Mimic Roles?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A