• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers is better than it has any right to be. *spoilers*

User Info: MadHead1988

MadHead1988
4 weeks ago#111
The ascians wasn't explored in till much later in Shadowbringers. We had to go through The First turning off lights for the majority of the time. This had nothing to do with the main plot. (When you're including ARR/HW/SB in the mix)

MajinUltima posted...

--He did say in FF as a series, and it isn't unfair. Spend as much or more time giving him motivations and interactions with a variety of people in situations than a lot of characters who appear in only 1 game get. Especially for antagonists. Like compare Emet to Seymour, Sephiroth, Kefka, Exdeath, Ultimecia, etc within only the span of their origin game. Ironically, of those, Sephiroth has the most development pretty much ONLY because of a few nicer pieces of dialogue during Nibelheim.

But you're only comparing antagonists though. Emet is nothing special if you compare him to the lengthy list of FF protagonists but that bar is pretty high so I will cut writer some slack.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Destin

Destin
4 weeks ago#112
MadHead1988 posted...
The ascians wasn't explored in till much later in Shadowbringers. We had to go through The First turning off lights for the majority of the time. This had nothing to do with the main plot.

stopping calamities is a major part of the plot. we did kind of bumble into it and it didn't always feel great (2nd half of Amh Araeng really sucked imo), but a lot of that has to do with MMO structure since we have to be introduced to all the new zones.

and the weak parts of that is carried by interactions with the Scions who are well developed characters.
Destin the Valiant

User Info: Ruppe21

Ruppe21
4 weeks ago#113
Narukami12 posted...
Not gonna dump a blog post on everyone that's several paragraphs. Just going to say that I just unlocked the final dungeon in the main storyline, Amaurot, and I haven't been so engrossed in a final fantasy game like this in almost 15 years.

This is the 3rd expansion of a re-made failed MMO. How the hell is this story and presentation this good? How are nearly all the characters this likable and memorable? How are the villains this charismatic and threatening, and dare I say in the case of Emet-Selch, tragic and understandable?

Yes, is this 911? Hello, I seem to have suffered from a stroke and am currently hallucinating that an MMORPG expansion story is one of the best RPGs I've played in several years.

Yeah it's really good untill you finish the main story, then it's the same old boring crap again on a loop for years.

User Info: Slykykiske

Slykykiske
4 weeks ago#114
MadHead1988 posted...
There is nothing wrong with using tropes but it has to be presented well and shadowbringers wasn't. Usho had it correct when he called it filler. This whole plotline came out of nowhere in the middle of the Stormblood patches and was forced upon us. Then we have to follow a cliche story that hasn't been seen since ARR, only just better written. And unlike HW or SB areas there was no build up nor lore for The First in till we got there.

You claim that people don't know what good storytelling is but say something like this. If Emet Selch is the only character you can name when you think about character depth then that says something. There's also quite a lot of final fantasy characters that has more depth than he does. If you said antagonists, then I would agree with you.

So slight hyperbole, there are some but he is amongst the better ones. The existence of other worlds has been hinted at since Heavensward, it didn't really come out of nowhere totally (Unukulhai hints at it). But Emet Selch serves a huge purpose--you guys undercut the world building and lore that he and the ShB arc set up. We find out the complete motivation and potential end game of some of the ascians. We also find out the player characters origins and what makes them so unique, before someones like "Omg, called that since patch 3.0" yah, sure you did. (I'm sure a few did, but not everyone on this board) It is so open ended there are a ton of different directions square can go with it.

The story for ShB --It takes underutilized Scions (Urianger, Minfilia) and gives them much needed character development and growth. This expansion for me was great--because I had low expectations, other than Minfilia coming back. I thought the idea of going to another world disconnected from the source would be horrible and as some put "filler" cuz it wouldn't tie in--but it does and then some.

Emet Selch is a better character because he is an anti-villain, he is beyond the cliche he presents himself off when we first meet him, other than just cocky and arrogant. He is completely honest, helps our heroes, saves Yshtola--who we had no chance of saving or rescuing..has feelings and emotional depth towards his former people and life. Zodiark and Hydaelyn being primals....cliche...but in the overall story HUGE. Because we see Hydaelyn so many times as this nigh omniscent nigh omnipotent untouchable being who choice you as her champion.. when this god is something actually something summoned by "lesser" beings (than her at least). Something potentially without any real agency whatsoever to act and is only acting in according to the wishes of the people who were against Zodiark.

Also ShB's to me--best area design by far. Only zones in the game i had to just stand there and gawk at this ephemeral light beaming down at me and the npcs and side quests are on the cusp of being yoko taro levels of depressings. You guys are due your 'opinion' but I don't see it supported by too much other than a couple of sentences. "Oh this been done before" Yeah it has...how many pieces of media you going to hate for story commonalities? Is ff12 hated because it has crap in common with star wars? is fft hated because it has stuff in common with tactics ogre? APPROACH to story--matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZM4NIVIOUI Tomorrow is the future.

User Info: Slykykiske

Slykykiske
4 weeks ago#115

My only thing with ShB story that I don't like personally is Zenos coming back--and even thats kinda epic, I love Zenos as a straight forward, "i'm in it for the thrills" villain I just feel he had his shine already. He's the opposite of Emet, he kills for entertainment alone and now he's trying to payback his "friend". That being said, not everything needs to be built up entirely in advance--but we did know of Emet Selch's identity (Solus Zos Galvus) and the potential of alternate worlds we just didn't know the extent--and the depth and they did an excellent job fleshing this out--heck, it can actually be a tie in for a second story Saga once the Garlean one concludes (if they end things soon).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZM4NIVIOUI Tomorrow is the future.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers is better than it has any right to be. *spoilers*
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers