• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers is better than it has any right to be. *spoilers*

User Info: Narukami12

Narukami12
1 month ago#1
Not gonna dump a blog post on everyone that's several paragraphs. Just going to say that I just unlocked the final dungeon in the main storyline, Amaurot, and I haven't been so engrossed in a final fantasy game like this in almost 15 years.

This is the 3rd expansion of a re-made failed MMO. How the hell is this story and presentation this good? How are nearly all the characters this likable and memorable? How are the villains this charismatic and threatening, and dare I say in the case of Emet-Selch, tragic and understandable?

Yes, is this 911? Hello, I seem to have suffered from a stroke and am currently hallucinating that an MMORPG expansion story is one of the best RPGs I've played in several years.

User Info: shamfuru

shamfuru
1 month ago#2
it is ripping off a lot of substantive works from the past while repackaging them in a way that appeals to your average millenials who was taught from a young age what to think.

I understand the references, so I can spot them. some are even hidden, unlike much of the game which beats you over the head with its nonsense. I can also spot where it deviates into the prototypical post-modern story.

also, do not joke about strokes
"Any truth that a man fears will be good for his soul." - G. K. Chesterton

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
1 month ago#3
Yeah, SHB and FF14 overall are great, and it is amusing to look back at 1.0's failure and see the turnaround.
Ignore Salty McHipster over there.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: strred

strred
1 month ago#4
i thought so too until i learned that not a single bit of it is their own make. they took several major plot points and themes from ni no kuni 2: revenant kingdoms and thomas more's utopia. yep, amaurot and even hythlodaeus are creations of someone else, entirely. really a shame as are the very pattern of accomplishing 5 major tasks and ending up in the recreation of a dead city.. :\
can't flim flam the glim glam

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
1 month ago#5
strred posted...
i thought so too until i learned that not a single bit of it is their own make. they took several major plot points and themes from ni no kuni 2: revenant kingdoms and thomas more's utopia. yep, amaurot and even hythlodaeus are creations of someone else, entirely. really a shame as are the very pattern of accomplishing 5 major tasks and ending up in the recreation of a dead city.. :\

Wait Final Fantasy uses namesakes as inspiration? WHAT? I never knew *eyeroll*
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: rise_zero

rise_zero
1 month ago#6
It was ok. It's just anime.

Narukami12 posted...
This is the 3rd expansion of a re-made failed MMO. How the hell is this story and presentation this good?

Because it's the 3rd expansion. They've been working on new stuff for like 6 years at this point.

User Info: Specaldorf

Specaldorf
1 month ago#7
SHB is the worst part/expansion of ff14. We can talk about it in an apartment by the fish tank.
If your not top dps in your party as blm your an lolblm due to not being able to manage your mechanics.Do not attempt to understand this if you dont play ff14.

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
1 month ago#8
Specaldorf posted...
SHB is the worst part/expansion of ff14.

LOL
FFXIV Loremaster
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: hyjinx17

hyjinx17
1 month ago#9
shamfuru posted...
it is ripping off a lot of substantive works from the past while repackaging them in a way that appeals to your average millenials who was taught from a young age what to think.

I understand the references, so I can spot them. some are even hidden, unlike much of the game which beats you over the head with its nonsense. I can also spot where it deviates into the prototypical post-modern story.

also, do not joke about strokes

careful not to get crushed under the weight of your gargantuan fedora.
Thanks for saving fighting games Goku!

User Info: Kaiganeer

Kaiganeer
1 month ago#10
Specaldorf posted...
SHB is the worst part/expansion of ff14. We can talk about it in an apartment by the fish tank.
nah. HW had good story but the gameplay pales in comparison to everything but ARR, SB had good gameplay but a weak story and while ShB falls short of both in their strong areas, it is a balanced mix of both and when compared to each expansion in their x.1 patch, it is the best expansion they've put out so far
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers is better than it has any right to be. *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers