• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers' plot is suspiciously similar to Ni No Kuni 2 (spoilers)

User Info: SuperZay

SuperZay
4 weeks ago#1
I played the last game of Yoshi's drinking buddy, Akihiro Hino, and had a lot of deja vu.

In Shadowbringers you travel to another dimension, run around the world and kill 5 lightwardens, bosses of each region, to create 'light'. Your hub city is called 'Eulmore'.
In NNK2 you travel to another dimension, run around the world and kill 5 kingmakers, bosses of each region, to create 'peace'. Your hub city is called... 'Evermore'.

Both games have a 'good' villain who tries to restore the past for his folks, both games' last area is a destroyed ancient city, resurrected by said villain, and inhabited by souls talking about upcoming crisis. Both games have a character from the future send back to affect the past.

It's nice to see that Shadowbringers, praised by its innovative cliche-free plot, is already influencing other games... even those that came long before it! ^^
I block toxic people.

User Info: lemon_love01

lemon_love01
4 weeks ago#2
Damn you’re totally right! I even platinumed the game and it didn’t even occur to me how weirdly similar they are. Interesting.. Thanks.
To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
4 weeks ago#3
Couldn't say - but I figure it's always the question of why we get duplicates of movies all the time.

Deep Impact + Armageddon
Volcana + Dante's Peak

That kind of thing that always makes you question who inspired who, when it's possible Shadowbringers was in development/concept creation before and vice versa.

Personally speaking - I don't mind it at all. If I see two restaurants offering a new item that seems similar, I am going to likely try both because they're both delicious and I will probably like either for different reasons, regardless of whether or not it's derivative.

Release date isn't always indicative of whether or not one product was truly created first, so just because something came out first doesn't make that the original (though that's not necessarily what I am saying is or isn't the case here)
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:ShB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Torchlight II (Switch)

User Info: Vyrulisse

Vyrulisse
4 weeks ago#4
Um... literally nothing in your original post is unique to either game. It's the presentation, dialogue and characters that people praise.
http://i.imgur.com/6VeX04D.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26N7lQHNW8

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
4 weeks ago#5
Vyrulisse posted...
Um... literally nothing in your original post is unique to either game. It's the presentation, dialogue and characters that people praise.

Exactly this. Most of what's here is fare we've seen a lot of, especially if you're following tropes.

That's not to say you can't call out the lack of originality if you're nitpicking, I just think it doesn't matter too much from a personal standpoint.
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:ShB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Torchlight II (Switch)

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
4 weeks ago#6
While the stories do indeed have similar themes, Shadowbringers story is much deeper and presented much better. NNK2 was a fun game, but not exactly super engaging story-wise.
Also, I hated the stupid castle building and the skirmishes. I maxed out my game time because I just left it on 24/7 so I always had max Kingsguilders or w/e the currency was called to spend when I had time to play.
~Prepare the laser beam. We're gonna use it tonight.
Engage the laser beam. It's gonna end your life.

User Info: strred

strred
4 weeks ago#7
that's a shame...guess they can't come up with their own stories anymore
can't flim flam the glim glam
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Shadowbringers' plot is suspiciously similar to Ni No Kuni 2 (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived