• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Blak4xis

Blak4xis
4 days ago#1
So I only recently came to FF14 in the grand scheme of things, but I've had a group of friends who've played since the start of ARR, and even one who picked up the game and stuck with it from the very beginning. When I started playing a few months back, most of them told me that I'd find ARR to be a drag, Heavensward to be amazing, and Stormblood to be a disappointment, and the amount of people who expressed a similar sentiment was a good many of folk.

So I'm curious... why is it that a lot of people think that Stormblood wasn't all that great in comparison to Heavensward, or rather why is it that Heavensward seems more popular? I'm no stranger to people not liking expansion content after playing WoW for way to freakin' long, but as a newbie, I've found myself liking Stormblood a lot (it's the dungeons that do it for me). Was there something that Heavensward had that was changed or missing in Stormblood?
So fresh and clean.

User Info: lightdragoon88

lightdragoon88
4 days ago#2
The problem with Stormblood, in my opinion, is that it was to disjointed.

You are finally going to Ala Mhigo, a place they have been teasing about since ARR and meet the Empire Prince who basically hands your butt on a platter back to you....only to spend the next 90% of the story on the other side of the world doing a completely different story just to come back to Ala Mhigo for a little bit.

I think the WoL in the expansion trailer best sums it up. In 1.0 he was an Archer, A Warrior in ARR, in Heavensward a Dragoon and a Dark Knight in Shadowbringer.

But in Stormblood....A Monk and Samurai.
I seek Knowledge. The most valuable resource of all.

User Info: Zurriah

Zurriah
4 days ago#3
Stormblood gets a bad reputation because it has a more niche appeal than Heavensward did. I definitely wouldn't call it bad. It has a few pacing issues but I'd call the main story damn good, with solid dungeons and at least a few good zones.

Where Stormblood fell flat for me was in the .X patch content. Big time. Omega wasn't as good as Alexander. The spirit trial things weren't as good as the warring triad. The dungeons weren't as memorable and there were fewer of them. The eureka weapons were ass compared to the anima. I could go on and on.

After I finished Stormblood (which again I loved the main story) I barely played any for that 2 year period. It was my most inactive time ever but I did level all my jobs that I was interested in and try the new raids and such. I'd go so far as to say my time in Shadowbringers has already surpassed it.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr
4 days ago#4
I just finished Heavensward after a 5 year break I began in 2014, and it was great. I had this same exact question about Stormsblood, since so far the new zones are beautiful and the FATEs are kicking my ass.
If it's clear and yellow, you've got juice there fellow! If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town!

User Info: Kaliesto

Kaliesto
4 days ago#5
The music in Stormblood made not that very exciting except a few musical pieces.
Gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat DramaFAQs-misterbum

User Info: SuperZay

SuperZay
4 days ago#6
lightdragoon88 posted...

You are finally going to Ala Mhigo, a place they have been teasing about since ARR and meet the Empire Prince who basically hands your butt on a platter back to you....only to spend the next 90% of the story on the other side of the world doing a completely different story just to come back to Ala Mhigo for a little bit.

Isn't that's what all Shadowbringers is about? A complete sidetrack expansion.
The Eastern parts were done really well done. The Steppes is probably my favourite zone. I just thought the rest of it was underwhelming. The story was kinda boring too. It took me a long time to slag through it all.
If I can't smoke and swear I'm ****ed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGL0qGk5lA

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
4 days ago#8
SuperZay posted...
lightdragoon88 posted...

Isn't that's what all Shadowbringers is about? A complete sidetrack expansion.

It's a bit different. Stormblood splits the plot between 2 areas, with the Far East section seemingly being a sidetrack.
Shadowbringers, while being a diversion away from the Empire plot, is self-contained.
~Prepare the laser beam. We're gonna use it tonight.
Engage the laser beam. It's gonna end your life.

User Info: game_wiz101

game_wiz101
4 days ago#9
IMO, Stormblood being split between Ala Mhigo and Doma was what brought down the quality of the story. Outside of that, however, I’d rate SB higher in terms of instanced content (excluding omega), soundtracks, and, yes, even locations.

But plot, which is arguably a key focus for this game, while still good, did not measure up to HW.
3DS FC: 1375-7722-0434
GT: SmokyJoMama, PSN: SmokyJoMama-sama

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
4 days ago#10
The disjointed comment is spot on.

It feels like a ton of little intersecting stories that feel closer to vignettes, like that episode of Adventure Time where, to solve one big problem, you have to solve 50 little tiny problems and deal with a bunch of inter-personnel and foreign relations work. Sure, it all adds up and all of those little tasks are important, but most of them lack palpable gravitas.

It still has some really good spots.

The reason why HW probably feels more impactful is the same reason why Shadowbringers feels more impactful, in that you have a more consistent story (at least thus far for ShB), not to mention the things we learn in both HW and ShB are far more interesting than the interconnecting stories and the why/how of Ala Mhigo, the Ruby Sea, etc. (though Azim Steppe is plenty interesting, once there's a new Khagan, if it's not someone like the WoL, the leader of the Mol working with us, or one of the Scions, they will likely go back to keeping to themselves, so I don't feel like the Au Ra tribes of the Steppe are going to be very impactful in the grand scheme of things).

Also, the stakes in HW are a bit more personal, and the stakes in ShB are a bit more dire AND personal. So while Stormblood isn't bad per se, it lacks the weight due to our own personal investment, I feel.
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:SB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)
(edited 4 days ago)
  • Post New Message