• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Rate the Character: Minfilia Warde
On a scale of 1 - 5 how is Minfilia as a character

Been around since 1.0, let's talk about the woman who likes to go to work wearing only a sports bra top with sleeves.

How does she hold up as a character?

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 week ago#2
Gave her a 2, though it's more like a 1.5. She's not annoying, but she had been pretty useless throughout most of ARR and they kept foisting importance on her in, what I feel, was an attempt to make us care about her (spoiler - it didn't for a lot of people).

Extremely poor execution, not written well at all to the point she feels wooden in most sections, and not given proper focus at all, then written out almost purely as a plot device and (spoilers for Shadowbringers) literally given a reboot through Ryne, which needed to give her a decent chance at proper development that should have happened through ARR.

So the original Minfilia is trash, to the point that even in Shadowbringers, they had to resort to giving her backstory through flashbacks because there wasn't simply enough to build up this connection Thancred feels for her which feels out of place because (as above) these things should have been handled on-screen.
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:SB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 week ago#3
I don't hate her like many people do, but I'm not particularly attached to her either. She suffers from a lot of telling and not enough showing about her importance to the scions as a leader and support. And while I blame the game designers and not the character so much for this, having to go back to the waking sands SOOOOO MUCH without even the decency to put an aetheryte there was super annoying.

She was just all around 'meh' for me. Neither bad enough for me to hate her like Yotsuyu and Asahi nor liked enough for me to get attached to her.

User Info: game_wiz101

game_wiz101
1 week ago#4
Not sad in the least to see her go. I’m glad her arc is concluded, and I hope she doesn’t come back. A 2 for me.
3DS FC: 1375-7722-0434
GT: SmokyJoMama, PSN: SmokyJoMama-sama

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 week ago#5
She's… ok. I think some people are too harsh. But she wasn't that well realized and didn't appear enough after the writing had improved.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'

User Info: RavingSwoobat

RavingSwoobat
1 week ago#6
2/5

Minfilia had potential, but they didn't do too much with her. The most interaction we had with her were that of her being a quest dispenser. She didn't really have much of a personality nor presence. Go to Waking Sands to talk to Minfilia. Go to point A, B, and X. Go back to Sands and talk to Minfilia for next quest to go to J and talk to G.

Having said that, I don't hate her, and I feel kind of bad for what was forced upon her. But, it felt like the writers did that to simply remove Minfilia from the picture, because they didn't know what they wanted to do with her in the story, and put her in the fridge. Her purpose as a quest dispenser was redundant and her supposed liaison responsibilities transferred to Alphinaud, who's far more visible with his endeavors. She doesn't get better in HW nor ShB, being relegated to the mouthpiece of Hydaelyn.

This is what Minfilia does in the story:
https://youtu.be/8yZXjxuoEGA
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 week ago#7
Yeah Alphinaud took over her role as the politics guy (and really, while that seemed like a role she should fill, she didn't really very much, come to think of it), while still getting out into the field and being more present with what we're doing. Tataru handles the organizational stuff. They obviously couldn't figure out a way to make her work in there. Her role was pretty much like the nation leaders, mostly in the background, but in the end, wasn't really needed.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
(edited 1 week ago)
3/5

"Return to the Waking Sands."Is now a meme and therefore boosts her a little otherwise a solid 2/5
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alakazamtrainer/ friend me on steam
also Alakazam will always triumph!

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
1 week ago#9
I admire their rehab attempt of the character. She started out as shameless pandering to adolescent males who hope for skin mods in games. Blonde. Large breasts. Skimpy clothes. No bueno.

They took it back half way through the game, and we're left with this weird void where a character should be. Or at the very least, she is way behind the other characters in development due to the mistakes.

I'll say 3. They made the best out of the mistake they made her in the first place. If you forget that she was just a sexual fantasy for kids 7 years ago, and only take what her character was remodelled into, she's decent 3 or 4.

Minfilia multiverse is an interesting concept. I'm somewhat interested in where they take her iterations.
For those we have lost--For those we can yet save
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 week ago#10
benjjjamin posted...
Minfilia multiverse is an interesting concept. I'm somewhat interested in where they take her iterations.

Despite my initial comment on the same thing, it's got me thinking.

Ryne is her own person, and despite Minfilia's influence on her, she's not really meant to be a copy of her (arguably, that was exactly the entire point of Minfilia giving her a choice to follow in her footsteps or not and that she absolutely is her own person).

Should we really consider Ryne as Minfilia 2.0, or is she her own character?
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:SB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Rate the Character: Minfilia Warde
  • Post New Message