• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Did this bug anyone else in the Shadowbringers story? (Spoilers)

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#1
In general, I am super pleased with Shadowbringers and can't wait to see what sort of new content we get through the life of the expansion, especially if they somehow manage to top Emet (though this is doubtful).

The one thing I didn't like is during the post-Mt. Gulg victory, where the Exarch pretends to be a bad guy, virtually ensuring that unless Urianger was there, the rest of the Scions would have stomped him and screwed everything up when he was going to absorb the Light from the WoL and then go into the Rift to die.

Now, I get that Urianger was there to stop people from intervening (again, putting him in this weird Keeper of Secrets position which he has already been in before, begged forgiveness for, etc. but more on that later), and that we were meant to think he's a villain so the Scions wouldn't stop him for being such a jerk, but it's such a crappy and relatively amateur plan that the Scions (Y'shtola in particular) sees through it right away.

As if we absolutely in no way would ever allow one of our members to sacrifice themselves...except all of those other times before where everyone was jumping at the chance to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the WoL in the leadup to the HW quests.

And that time Papalymo sacrificed himself.

And that time Louisoix sacrificed himself.

And that time immediately before this incident where we were totally okay with Minfillia, a child, sacrificing herself because she "made a choice" and "because we had no other good options".

Or that time the very same guy (the Crystal Exarch/Graha Tia) sacrificed himself to seal the Crystal Tower.

And this is the guy who comes up with this ridiculous subterfuge plan for virtually no good reason that puts Urianger in an extremely uncomfortable position that he just got done being in and had to apologize to the Scions for.

Hell, he could have simply said, "Please have faith in me. I know you are worried about the WoL, but I do have a plan." and the Scions would have been like, "Okay." with none of the angst. With only a fraction of the worry. And without Urianger having to be in this weird position.

The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong in a bad writing way that didn't fit as even reasonably believable for its assessment of the characters present, even if you were just going purely from a perspective of someone who had never done the previous content and only the Shadowbringers story.
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:SB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)

User Info: Destin

Destin
1 month ago#2
didn't bother me at all.
Destin the Valiant

User Info: Valrien

Valrien
1 month ago#3
I think that for the Player in particular its pretty hard to believe simply due to us having known him for quite a while and have seen that he is not this kind of person.

WoL should have called him out on his bulls*** right away
PSN: ValrienDravic
GameFAQs FFXIV Board Discord: https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
1 month ago#4
This may be a small dent in a strong hull. I don't take off points for this. The exarch story still packed a hell of an emotional punch. I was surprised I cared that much for G'raha after not giving one lick in CT.

Them giving you the option to say his name before the game did, and his tear realizing the secrets he kept were stupid and unneeded, was absolutely brilliant.
For those we have lost--For those we can yet save

User Info: strred

strred
1 month ago#5
it was a little annoying, and a cheap way of playing with your expectations. he even had a bit of a villain speech and evil smirk, then it turns out he's not a badguy.
can't flim flam the glim glam

User Info: psycofang

psycofang
1 month ago#6
It was a very short and very very...odd piece of the story...it didnt feel like it belonged at all like context was missing but nonetheless so minor it doesnt take away from the story at all.

User Info: Isilia

Isilia
1 month ago#7
I don't think the 20 second "betrayal" was worth the stupid amount of setup/ignorance needed to pull it off.
http://i.imgur.com/JFYhdtk.gif | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2937700/

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
1 month ago#8
Yeah, it was weird and unnecessary. Basically the only purpose it served was to make Urianger look like a secret-keeping jerk all over again.

It was also doubly-weird for me because I thought for sure the best option was for the Exarch to just send all of that light aether into the Void. It's a useless mass of dark aether at this point anyway and maybe the light aether would do something about all of the Voidsent and stop two problems at once. So I was all like "why is this even happening when we have a much better option available."
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
1 month ago#9
psycofang posted...
It was a very short and very very...odd piece of the story...it didnt feel like it belonged at all like context was missing but nonetheless so minor it doesnt take away from the story at all.

Isilia posted...
I don't think the 20 second "betrayal" was worth the stupid amount of setup/ignorance needed to pull it off.

--Yeah I'm gonna go with this. It felt silly and out of place and wasn't needed. You could've had the whole scene without the villain act, with it being an obvious sacrifice play from the get go, and it would've had basically the same stakes.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#10
benjjjamin posted...
This may be a small dent in a strong hull. I don't take off points for this.

Which I agree with. This would be like finding a piece of lettuce or something in your food which isn't supposed to have lettuce. You're gonna pick it off and it's not going to actually impact your enjoyment of the overall meal.

It was just noticeable for me in a bad way, is all.

Excalibur posted...
Basically the only purpose it served was to make Urianger look like a secret-keeping jerk all over again.

I think that's the part that gets to me the most, even if (overall) it didn't affect my enjoyment.
Currently playing - LoZ:BotW (Switch), FFXIV:SB (PC), RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Did this bug anyone else in the Shadowbringers story? (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived