You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. What would you say is FFXIVs biggest advantage over WoW?

User Info: FrozenXylophone

FrozenXylophone
3 weeks ago#1
I would say it was that you got tons of jobs that you can level.

Once you hit endgame, you still have over 10 jobs that you can go back and lvl.

You can switch your main anytime without paying $$

User Info: Azyle1

Azyle1
3 weeks ago#2
That and I think it a little more polished than WoW.

Outside of that though, it is kinda just a FF skinned WoW.
Xbox One GT - Azy1e, Nintendo Switch - Azyle17
PS4 - Azyle1

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
3 weeks ago#3
I'd say it's a lot of little things.

- Aesthetically, 14 is more pleasing on all senses across the board.
- Story, both games improve their storytelling over time, but 14's been consistently doing it better longer and with more story content more likely to get players invested.
- Alt catchup/maintenance/swapping is easier in 14.
- Encounter design is fair and well-tuned, whereas Raids in WoW have become progressively more over-tuned and dictated by RNG, because 14's devs don't try to push the world first race like an e-sport... they focus on making good encounters.
- Overall game balance, 14's really catching up on number of jobs even if you count each spec like 1 job in WoW (which is fair to do), but 14's managing it considerably better.
- Mounts. Yeah, cute brain squid... I have Demi-Ozma, a spinning fire turtle, a flying bed, a wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing goobbue...

WoW's still got the edge on
- Quantity of level cap content, albeit often not Quality.
- Better glamour system, albeit without dyes.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
3 weeks ago#4
WoW has kind of shot itself in the foot lately. so part of it is just that.

Things I like better about FFXIV: Limited rng in terms of loot progression, all jobs on one character if I want to, better character creator (though I admit FFXIV loses out in terms of racial VARIETY between races FFXIV has better options WITHIN races), and a better main story. At least at present.

User Info: shawn10000000

shawn10000000
3 weeks ago#5
Class design. and it isn't even close
wow has had garbage class design since legion did the mass pruning
They haven't even added new baseline abilities from 100-120, or talents. the artifacts were a game killing design choice
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Blak4xis

Blak4xis
3 weeks ago#6
Production value, especially when it comes down to the story. I love WoW, but one of my biggest gripes with it is how incohesive the story is, and it sucks because it has such a rich world with interesting characters and could do so much more with it, yet they don't. For a lot of developers, the story comes second to gameplay, and I agree that you could have an amazing story and it wouldn't matter at all if the gameplay can't carry it, but there's a serious lack of effort on Blizzard's part to make the player more involved in the story.

When WoW hits a story beat and hits it hard, it's great. Like the whole Nation United quest chain was awesome. It misses the mark so much nowadays though : \
So fresh and clean.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
3 weeks ago#7
Biggest advantage is probably that I’m an FF fanboy, tbh.

Otherwise, what everyone else has said, lol

User Info: george43

george43
3 weeks ago#8
The biggest thing is because of the job system, all content is still widely available.

Think about WoW and classic world bosses, raids and 5 mans that sit there doing nothing.

User Info: 2DFighter84

2DFighter84
3 weeks ago#9
FrozenXylophone posted...
I would say it was that you got tons of jobs that you can level.

Once you hit endgame, you still have over 10 jobs that you can go back and lvl.

You can switch your main anytime without paying $$

Have you actually played WoW? WoW's got classes and specs, with each spec basically amounting to a full on "job" in this game. And you don't have to pay money to switch your main... Where did this come from?

Anyway, FF14s biggest advantages over WoW are graphics and the fact that it's on PS4, so it captures a market that WoW can't compete on. I really doubt FF14 would be considered any competition at all if it were PC only.

According to this link below (not sure how accurate it is, but it's the only site giving solid numbers that I've found) FF14 has about 750,000 active characters running around its servers as of July 2019.

https://ffxivcensus.com

According to this link below (much harder to find numbers for WoW and these are just estimates, rather than exact figures) WoW has around 5 million active players and is expected to drop to around 4.5 million by 2023. (take that 2023 figure with a grain of salt).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276601/number-of-world-of-warcraft-subscribers-by-quarter/

The point is, WoW pretty much has the PC MMO market cornered. FF14 being on PS4 is what allows it to attract gamers that WoW simply can not ever get... the console gamers. So I'd say that's FF14s biggest advantage. And it's newer (and again the graphics).
2-frackin'-D: The voice of the voiceless
PSN Detrizzy MK11 - Skarlet

User Info: FrozenXylophone

FrozenXylophone
3 weeks ago#10
I have played WoW.

By money I meant boosting a new character.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. What would you say is FFXIVs biggest advantage over WoW?