• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. TheLazyPeon deleted his video about FF14's "terrible leveling"

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#91
Realized I had edited out the numbers.

The 21 quests in the Level 70 MSQ bracket give almost 9.7 million experience (9,660,000) and is roughly about 80% of the way for the level.

So hitting 71 is relatively easy with very work outside of the MSQ, but it should be noted that if you are fresh at 70, no, MSQ isn't enough to carry you through everything (which is also stated above).

There are a total of 106 5.0 quests, 102 of which yield experience.

level 70 - 21 quests at 460,000 each = 9,660,000
Level 71 - 2 quests at 500,000 each = 1,000,000
Level 72 - 10 quests at 540,000 each = 5,400,000
Level 73 - 10 quests at 580,000 each = 5,800,000
Level 74 - 11 quests at 620,000 each = 6,820,000
Level 75 - 9 quests at 660,000 each = 5,940,000
Level 76 - 11 quests at 700,000 each = 7,700,000
Level 77 - 10 quests at 740,000 each = 7,400,000
Level 78 - 10 quests at 780,000 each = 7,800,000
Level 79 - 8 quests at 820,000 each = 6,560,000

Total MSQ experience 64,080,000

So, aside from the Level 70 quests maybe lulling you into thinking the MSQ can carry you through, it can't. If someone wants to bother, they can tackle the MSQ leveling elsewhere in the game, but I know for a fact ARR's MSQ doesn't provide enough leveling to just completely ignore outside forms of experience gathering, too.

So it's not like anyone should be making the argument that it should be that way, because as far as I know it never has been (though I am willing to look at numbers that would prove me wrong)

And if the game requires you to level outside, then everything else kind of flies out the window because the game lavishes you in huge experience bonuses for a ton of activities that aren't particularly time consuming, especially if you are doing it over the course of a week instead of grinding 70 to 80 in the course of a couple of days.
Currently playing - SSB: Ultimate, FFXIV:SB, RE4 (Switch), Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch), Bloodborne, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

User Info: Kitsunemon

Kitsunemon
1 month ago#92
I am myself a new player and i really love the experience. The story overall is really interesting eventhough there are some questlines that dont really make sense since they are just not following the actual story, but that makes it more engaging actually. The only thing that really bothers me is that from time to time I have to level up an entire level till I can progress with the story. I get that it should take a while and stuff, but since the story is so NICE i can just not wait to continue. Does someone have some tips on how to level up fast during the time you cant progress in the main story line? I do the random instances, but when the reward is gone, it takes such a long time to level with instances, fates or those cardthings.
I am ready to dance through this darkness.

User Info: Jolteon

Jolteon
1 month ago#93
Kitsunemon posted...
I am myself a new player and i really love the experience. The story overall is really interesting eventhough there are some questlines that dont really make sense since they are just not following the actual story, but that makes it more engaging actually. The only thing that really bothers me is that from time to time I have to level up an entire level till I can progress with the story. I get that it should take a while and stuff, but since the story is so NICE i can just not wait to continue. Does someone have some tips on how to level up fast during the time you cant progress in the main story line? I do the random instances, but when the reward is gone, it takes such a long time to level with instances, fates or those cardthings.

Make sure you're doing leveling roulette every day. The bonus for leveling roulette is significant, and as you grow in level it only gets better. Make sure you have unlocked the Challenge Log. Several of the entries in that are worth lots of experience. FATEs are okay, but don't bother doing Levequests on combat jobs. They're not really worth the effort.

You can blitz through your Hunting Log if you have a high-level friend follow you around. What you do is just have them follow you but not be in your party. You tag the enemy/enemies you need to kill, and they one-shot them. It makes finishing it up a breeze, and you can do that every 10 levels up to 50.

At some point in the MSQ you'll be required to do so, IIRC, but if you haven't already, unlock Guildhests. They are only useful at lower levels, but they provide a one-time XP bonus when you complete them as a given class.

You should never really be underleveled for the MSQ for very long. It's designed to pretty reliably get you to level 50 naturally.

And also keep in mind that the first time you level is always the hardest. After you've gotten at least one class/job to a given level, you get what's called an Armoury Bonus for everything else. Lasting until level 70, you get a 100% bonus to XP for any class/job that's lower than your highest-leveled one.
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?

User Info: MeepleLardicle

MeepleLardicle
1 month ago#94
george43 posted...
I think ARR was bad.

Mainly because the areas were small, there wasn't really any amazing locations and you had to keep hopping zones to do quests at around the same level.

I don't know how many times you had to trek back to Waking Sands every three quests.

I suspect a lot of that was because of PS3 hardware and its limited capabilities.

Actually, I don't think it was the PS3, as Heavensward proved the PS3 COULD handle those larger zones (though they still had to split Ishgard).

I think the real reason has to do with 1.0. 1.0. had these large, seamless zones, combined with even better graphics, animations, etc. than what ARR had*, but this is where a lot of 1.0's issues came from. Even top end PCs at the time could run into issues running the game. When making ARR, they went out of their way to tone down a lot of the aspects that held 1.0 back, and a lot of it was the amount of demand the game needed.

So when it came to zones, they went the safe route, and made smaller zones that required the necessary evil that was Load Times. Speakers Network actually covered that 1.0 had to load zones, but used the "Loading Tunnel" trick, which is putting the character in a long, linear, monotonous hallway that gives the game time to load the next area, while masking the fact that it's loading it, to give the illusion of seamless gameplay (Loading Tunnels are actually WORSE than Load Times, once you actually think about it, but that's a different aspect.)

Again, the fact that the PS3 proved it COULD run large zones evidenced by Heavensward suggests it wasn't the PS3 holding the game back in this case (though it DID in other regards); I think it was just Yoshi-P playing it safe, trying NOT to emulate 1.0. He took the direction they did in Heavensward after they were content with how stable the game was in that style that they could take some actual risks.

*This isn't a "1.0 was better" thing, but rather, it is a fact that 1.0 had better visuals, at least in a technical sense. They purposely toned them back for smoother gameplay, as well as making it easier for the PS3 to run (see, THIS is where the PS3 held back FF14 early on.) It was basically a case of "Do you want a really pretty game with very inconsistent gameplay, or a less pretty game with much smoother gameplay." I think most would opt for the latter, as "Being able to play it" trumps anything else.
Stormblood Abridged: My subpar FF14 Parody!
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6929.0

User Info: ZechsRaines

ZechsRaines
1 month ago#95
The fact of the matter is Lazy Peon grinded through the 'worst' parts of ARR then level boosted, skipping Heavensward through to Shadowbringers and basically everything that made the game's leveling enjoyable in the process. A million subscribers doesn't turn an objectively bad/misinformed review into a good one, that's just a misguided appeal to authority. It's very clear that the devs and writers found their feet and took a refined approach to FF14 post ARR; writing a review on current FF14 based on ARR is not terribly unlike someone who's only ever played vanilla WoW trying to post a review on how it plays today.
F/GO: Zechs [550.311.814]
Current Support: Musashi [NP2], Okita [NP3], Gilgamesh [NP2], Scathach, Drake [NP2], Tamamo, Jack [NP2], Raikou [NP3], JAlter

User Info: goshoryuken

goshoryuken
1 month ago#96
ZechsRaines posted...
Lazy Peon grinded through the 'worst' parts of ARR then level boosted

That should tell you how awful FFXIV is for new players, but sure, let's blame the player and not SE for having such an awful main game.

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician
1 month ago#97
goshoryuken posted...
ZechsRaines posted...

That should tell you how awful FFXIV is for new players, but sure, let's blame the player and not SE for having such an awful main game.

Main game is great
GFAQs FFXIV Board Discord
https://discord.gg/2vhdf4K

User Info: psycofang

psycofang
1 month ago#98
ZechsRaines posted...
The fact of the matter is Lazy Peon grinded through the 'worst' parts of ARR then level boosted, skipping Heavensward through to Shadowbringers and basically everything that made the game's leveling enjoyable in the process.

The problem is that ARRs feet dragging sets the precedent that that is what players must look forward to as they try to progress through the next 2 main campaigns to finally start leveling in ShB.

Some people just dont like it, one of whom i know personally just wont drop it and keeps using it as a reason why ppl shouldnt buy ff14, and it really ruins some peoples enjoyment.

Anyone that doesnt KNOW that HW+ fixes the pacing issue can only defer information from what they are currently experiencing.

ARR needs to be trimmed and numerous content consolidated into a memory montage while auto unlocking those side dungeons and keep the main plot points focal.

It should speed up the process on getting through ARR without sacrificing too much or making the newer players groan in frustration.

User Info: ZechsRaines

ZechsRaines
1 month ago#99
goshoryuken posted...
ZechsRaines posted...

It tells me how awful it was for one player whom I don't feel represents all of humanity.

That's not to defend ARR, I thought it was pretty boring personally, having only recently leveled through it myself (and working on my 2nd character now). But welcome to "being low level in pretty much any MMO ever".

Take a look at the WoW forums; people have been complaining about the leveling slog in that game and how slow and boring leveling is since the stat squish almost a year ago. Take a look at the TERA forums, tell me it's different. Guild Wars 2? ESO?

Literally SWTOR is the only MMO I've ever played where the low level content was more interesting than cycling 2 to 3 attack buttons as quest givers hand you largely skippable dialogues explaining why it's important for you to go skin those animals.
F/GO: Zechs [550.311.814]
Current Support: Musashi [NP2], Okita [NP3], Gilgamesh [NP2], Scathach, Drake [NP2], Tamamo, Jack [NP2], Raikou [NP3], JAlter

User Info: psycofang

psycofang
1 month ago#100
ZechsRaines posted...
Take a look at the TERA forums, tell me it's differen

You can level ro 65 in tera in 6 to 8 hours. A far cry from when it released 7 years ago and it took 2 weeks or more to cap.

Lvl 70 patch it takes roughly 2 to 5 days.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. TheLazyPeon deleted his video about FF14's "terrible leveling"
  • Topic Archived