• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Ok so im no longer new to the game. But i still have a few Newbie questions

User Info: TheSaintG

TheSaintG
1 month ago#1
First, should I start any of the DoH guilds early on? Or should I just finish the Main story quests first?

Second, I noticed that by doing my main story quests and my first class quests I am a bit overleveled. Does this mean I might as well learn a second job to kinda get a head start on things?

Third, does gear even matter early on (lvl 29). Not sure if I should try to farm loot in early dugeons or if I should just keep going with story given gifts.

For background my first and last mmo was flyff so my knowledge on recent mmos is a bit dated. Any answers would help greatly
Deathnote is better than Deathnote

User Info: SlicingWind

SlicingWind
1 month ago#2
1) up to u, can start anytime
2) yeah if you want. But imo it's better to keep going through the story with one class. Story is quite long.
3) no, gear is not worth farming for until max level. If you are a tank or healer, keep a little up to date though.
PSN - SlicingWind

User Info: JepMZ

JepMZ
1 month ago#3
I dont have experience with other mmo's, but they made ff14 in a way where you cant progress the story as a crafter. It's completely up to you. I know the level 25 recipes for all the crafters have ingredients that can be bought from npc's. There's a chance your FC house might have them.

As a healer or dps class. Gear isn't too much of an issue until later dungeons. But if you're a tank and you find yourself dying or healer struggling to save you, then you should update your gear ASAP.
http://tinyurl.com/LBPComic 3ds new leaf: 2680-9862-6140
Dragon's dogma Pawn: Brion; lv 23, Fighter, Scather; Mitigator

User Info: Alakazamtrainer

Alakazamtrainer
1 month ago#4
JepMZ posted...
I dont have experience with other mmo's, but they made ff14 in a way where you cant progress the story as a crafter. It's completely up to you. I know the level 25 recipes for all the crafters have ingredients that can be bought from npc's. There's a chance your FC house might have them.

As a healer or dps class. Gear isn't too much of an issue until later dungeons. But if you're a tank and you find yourself dying or healer struggling to save you, then you should update your gear ASAP.

to add, at lvl 52 and 62 your gonna be far behind the msq, so ask an f2f member to get that lvl of gear.

as a general rule depending on what class you are, you'll want to update your gear every 5 to 10 levels as a tank and around every 10 lvls as a healer and dps.

also when you get higher levels this also includes the accessories side as well
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alakazamtrainer/ friend me on steam
also Alakazam will always triumph!

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
1 month ago#5
It's not a bad idea to level a couple of jobs if you're outpacing the story, especially multiple roles. Start a tank or healer if you don't alrrady have one.
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/19620823/

User Info: TheSaintG

TheSaintG
1 month ago#6
Thanks. Atm I’m a conjurer so I think I got the healer portion covered. Doing the lvl 30 conjurer quest as we speak.

I guess I’m not outpacing the story as I thought. Most of the quests level me down so I thought I was. I’m guessing I’m no where close to the meat of the story? Am I wrong to guess that it gets harder?
Deathnote is better than Deathnote

User Info: Destin

Destin
1 month ago#7
they boosted the main story so that you should be able to get a single job to level cap only doing the main story.

if you want to play a second job you can do the side quests with a 2nd job and level it that way.

i would do the main story only and save all the side stuff for later, unless you really like those minor storylines.

save crafting for when you're done with the story, it makes it much easier to get materials to craft.
Destin the Valiant

User Info: Shadygrove

Shadygrove
1 month ago#8
1, There is no should about when to start crafting. If you want to start crafting, do it. If it sounds like a chore, don't. For the record I started as an ALC (you could do that then) in 1.0 and do more crafting / gathering than combat.

2, Again, your choice. Another career can be fun and break things up a bit. Recommended by most players, not required.

3, Keep your weapon up to date other gear counts less at low levels. The dungeon to grind for gear is Brayflox's Longstop.

As to crafting, you start by getting every craft to L15 for the cross class skills.

To get any craft to 15 just do every recipe once. The guild shop sells everything you need, except the cooking guild doesn't stock fish, you buy fish at the hyaline just off the aftcastle. The guild quests provide more than enough shards. Check with the local levemete before you dispose of the stuff you crafted, some of it will be levequest fodder.
There are only two things that may be infinite. The universe and human stupidity. I am not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
(message deleted)

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
1 month ago#10
I would only craft if you like it better than combat jobs due to opportunity cost. If your leveling a crafting job that time is not spent on another combat job.

Crafting is not required for sufficient income, and you will have plenty of money without it. Sell all your mats and drops on the market. I think you will have way more money avoiding crafting unless you go all out maxing every crafting job and sell gear. You are constantly making money (mats and sellable drops) while playing combat jobs.

That said, if you like crafting more than fighting go for it. I’ve accumulated 50 million Gil (currently holding not spent) just by selling mats and other drops I received on the market. The only extra thing I did was cash in GC seals for mats every time I hit max 50k and sold those on market too. I’ve never bought items on the market to re-sell.
Kill the King....the King is Dead....Long Live the King....I am the King....Dave Mustaine
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Ok so im no longer new to the game. But i still have a few Newbie questions
  • Topic Archived