• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. i am not very good at this game (last GLA quest)

User Info: FirazaMagePlus

FirazaMagePlus
1 month ago#21
Anacrusys posted...
Macro Correction: all skills must have “quotes” so it would be:

/micon “fast blade”
/ac “convalescence”
/ac “fast blade”

There are 4+ defensive cd’s so even if you macro 2 of them, you still have 2+ for emergencies. An indisputable fact. If you use defensive cd’s immedistely when ready, you take less damage, and you have less emergencies.

In our healer discussion, it was same concept. We use some skills asap when they are ready to maximize mana. The faster you use a cd, the more times you get to use it during the course of a fight

Tanking CDs are for TBs, and big pulls. Not to use on cooldown

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
1 month ago#22
New tanks struggling in leveling dungeons don’t do big pulls like in the end game. Reprisal and anticipation are 60 seconds so they’ll be ready again early in boss fights even after they go off on trash. Again, if he’s struggling and not using every cd at the perfect time, and making other mistakes, which is the case, then the macros will make him a better performer. He’ll take less damage. Less emergencies, eliminate two hot keys, so more time to focus on mechanics, pulls, thread, aoe’s, not be overwhelmed, etc.
Kill the King....the King is Dead....Long Live the King....I am the King....Dave Mustaine

User Info: colddeck64

colddeck64
1 month ago#23
Still bad advice.

Macros are not good to use in battle. They cannot be queued.

This is teaching bad skills.

Use CDs for busters and trash mobs at the pull. Not on cd. And not as part of your combo.
People like you caused the 2008 financial meltdown. - Benjjjamin 3/7/2018

User Info: FirazaMagePlus

FirazaMagePlus
1 month ago#24
Anacrusys posted...
New tanks struggling in leveling dungeons don’t do big pulls like end game. Reprisal and anticipation are 60 seconds so they’ll be ready again early in boss fights even after they go off on trash. Again, if he’s struggling and not using every cd at the perfect time, and making other mistakes, which is the case, then the macros will make him a better performer. He’ll take less damage. Less emergencies, eliminate two hot keys, so more time to focus on mechanics, pulls, thread, aoe’s, not be overwhelmed, etc.

And new tanks struggling don't need to get into bad habits. Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent

User Info: Zaschie

Zaschie
1 month ago#25
Do not macro GCD skills, do not macro oGCD with GCD skills, do not macro combo skills.
I don't know when you last played Anacrusys, but your advice is always bizarre, counterintuitive, and encourages the development of poor decision making skills.
Beep . . . boop.

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
1 month ago#26
Lies! In the first page of this thread, I told him to find the you tube video for the fight and immedistely solved his problem. I used two macros when I leveled my first tank job to 50 and it helped a ton. I did great and received tons of commendations.

If I would not have replied to this thread, silent zed would still not know lucid dreaming regenerates mana. Post 7

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/77523172

I think your just pissed cause I posted too many WoW comparisons because I want improvements since I will be playing shadowbringers.
Kill the King....the King is Dead....Long Live the King....I am the King....Dave Mustaine

User Info: colddeck64

colddeck64
1 month ago#27
I don’t care about your personal inadequacies.

I care about the advice being given to a new player.

Macro tanking might work fine in other games, but Idgaf about other games. I care about this one.

And on a board where new players are asking for advice I prefer they get quality advice.

Not hack job macro tank advice.
People like you caused the 2008 financial meltdown. - Benjjjamin 3/7/2018

User Info: Zaschie

Zaschie
1 month ago#28
Anacrusys posted...
received tons of commendations.
You keep saying this as if it were anything other than a social feature, much less an objective measure of knowledge and proper application thereof.

Anacrusys posted...
If I would not have replied to this thread ...
I think your contribution and reaction to correction in this thread speaks for itself: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/77494741. People are trying to learn how to improve, not take lazy, inefficient short cuts.

Anacrusys posted...
I think your just pissed cause I posted too many WoW comparisons because I want improvements since I will be playing shadowbringers.

whet?
Beep . . . boop.

User Info: Pancake

Pancake
1 month ago#29
reprisal on CD is absolutely the worst way to use it and that's an awful recommendation. i know you said it didn't have to be those two abilities, but no. if this guy macros his defensive CDs someone is gonna find out and give him s*** unlimited for it in this game, and don't act like players aren't that petty. you're setting this guy up to get hassled.

that said i see the benefits to treating anticipation this way. i've macro'd trinkets in WoW that were better. anticipation's worth scales directly with how many physical attacks the tank is receiving, so in a raid, where it's just one source -- sure. i wouldn't look twice at someone for having a macro just for the uptime. since you shouldn't be relying on a 30% parry chance bonus to survive tankbusters.

it's still better practice just to use it early and often, though. if the boss has a multi-hitter for his tankbuster, anticipation gets better. in add phases, anticipation gets better. in dungeons, you don't want to burn it less than a minute from a pull. it's a damage-taking nuance step i don't think we should skip, especially not with someone new.
https://i.imgtc.com/wKgp7al.gif

User Info: Zarren364

Zarren364
1 month ago#30
Honestly the only macros I use as a Paladin are ones that say I've used Hallowed Ground, and one that says I've used Divine Veil as the party being alerted to them is at least somewhat important.

Using defensive cool downs as soon as they're up is honestly a bad tactic. The only one that's worth saving for an emergency is the tank's "ultimate", for the context TC, at lvl 50 you'll get an ability that lets you ignore 100% of most incoming damage (some will still hit through), and even then as you get more experience you'll start to treat it like the other cool downs.

Speaking of the other cool downs, at least in group content, use them when you know big spikes of damage are incoming. If you're running a dungeon and you're pulling multiple groups of monsters, pop a cool down. If you're in a boss fight and it's casting it's heavy hitting move, pop a cool down.
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. i am not very good at this game (last GLA quest)
  • Topic Archived