• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Alright, how do I improve at this game?

User Info: Super Slash

Super Slash
1 month ago#1
I've been playing this game off and on for a few years now; my main job is BLM. I just did the Ghrimlyt (sp) dungeon and two people got frustrated with me cause I kept dying to the first boss. This is far from the only time this has happened; I think my biggest problem is my reaction time. This game kinda requires you to pay attention to multiple things at once, but I can't seem to get the feel for it most of the time; so much happens on the screen at once, and on top of having to keep your rotation going, it gets kinda hard to keep up.

I think another issue is that once I actually start getting better, I end up not renewing my sub and not coming back for another few months. When I do sub, though, I tend to play a lot. I also have a level 70 WHM, but my item level for it is fairly low and I'm afraid to pick it back up because it's been so long, and I don't have nearly as much experience with it as I do a BLM.

Tbh, it's getting kind of embarrassing/frustrating always having to have my team carry me in most level 60-70 dungeons and boss fights. I'm not really sure how to get better, and training dummies don't help with reaction times and such. I also seem to have a hard time remembering what certain markers entail during boss fights.

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
1 month ago#2
Are you new to the dungeon? Because if you are then ignore the idiots, there's a subset of players that actually think you should read guides for literally all content before you ever do it.

These people are actually bad at the game as they lack the ability to actually analyze the game and figure it out, they need it all spelled out for them.
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: Ultima_Weapon33

Ultima_Weapon33
1 month ago#3
It's a dungeon... I don't know if they even write guides for those. They are very braindead level.

Iunno. TC if you link some gameplay footage from yourself I can help.
A true hero never wavers. My place is at the top.
Bring me a real challenge. CHA

User Info: quest64freak

quest64freak
1 month ago#4
Practice your rotation on a dummy or in SSS(I think it resets cooldowns?) until it doesn't require much of your attention. Mastery of a job is just as important as mastery over any given encounter in XIV. If you're not particularly good at either one you're going to have to try a lot harder and pay attention to more things just to reach mediocrity. If you reach a point where you can start optimizing without the need of a guide(realizing when an encounter calls for delayed/premature abilities or when you should save certain things due to an immunity/transition phase for example) you're on the right track.

User Info: Agent_Riot_

Agent_Riot_
1 month ago#5
Just run that dungeon again, and then again, and then one more time. Becoming better at content is running the content often.

Also as questfreak64 pointed out, if you nailed down your rotation to the slightest detail to the point you can do it blindly, you have more time and focus to watch whats going on on your screen, instead of looking at your hotbar.

No worries, just play the content multiple times and you will be ok, good luck!
I hope FFXVI has a good team and concept.
F*** off already FFXV. You've been halting the series for ten years, and you're still not out. Get it over with,geez

User Info: singhellotaku

singhellotaku
1 month ago#6
a simple answer would be to just not play blm

blm's requires you to pay a lot more attention to you hotbars and rotation than a lot classes, and is much more dependent on staying still.

rdm or brd have the mobility of a melee dps, without keeping you in melee range of the enemy, give those a shot. Both are also relatively simple from a rotation standpoint, allowing you to pay more attention to the fight, and less to your hotbars.
the community tag is a cancer on this website

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
1 month ago#7
Yeah BLM is your problem partly due to its lack of mobility. A few mistakes can totally kill your dps. BRD has alot to keep track of to play well, but you never have to stop running. Run google serarches to find guides, and definitely check you tube.
Kill the King....the King is Dead....Long Live the King....I am the King....Dave Mustaine

User Info: FirazaMageEX

FirazaMageEX
1 month ago#8
Not stuttersubbing would probably help

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#9
Mizzteq on Youtube creates a lot of video guides for a lot of the content in FFXIV, and if you are really just wanting to do well, rather than experiencing the content blind and learning, you can watch some of those prior to coming into things.

If you announce ahead of time you are new, or that this is your first time doing a dungeon, people will tend to cut you some slack and may even try to help you out with mechanics.

Getting your mechanics down pat is almost always priority one over DPSing unless it's in content that doesn't matter and your healer can carryheal you through anything that's not a one shot or has other massively detrimental effect like a minute long stun/freeze/bad breath, etc.

Once you get your mechanics down for an encounter, it frees you up to really learn how well you can do in the fight, knowing when an immune phase is coming, knowing when adds are coming, knowing when you should hold CDs, etc.

Mostly, though? It comes down to experience and practice. Just give it time. Wanting to improve/learn is your best tool in actually improving.
Currently playing - SSB: Ultimate, Terraria, Pokemon: Let's Go (Eevee), FFXIV:SB

User Info: Soulidarity

Soulidarity
1 month ago#10
singhellotaku posted...
a simple answer would be to just not play blm

blm's requires you to pay a lot more attention to you hotbars and rotation than a lot classes, and is much more dependent on staying still.

rdm or brd have the mobility of a melee dps, without keeping you in melee range of the enemy, give those a shot. Both are also relatively simple from a rotation standpoint, allowing you to pay more attention to the fight, and less to your hotbars.

Anacrusys posted...
Yeah BLM is your problem partly due to its lack of mobility. A few mistakes can totally kill your dps. BRD has alot to keep track of to play well, but you never have to stop running. Run google serarches to find guides, and definitely check you tube.

These two posts kind of mirror my initial thoughts reading the first post. Knowing the habits of a lot of BLM players, you might be making the mistake of trying to finish a cast before moving out of aoes, or as the others said, having your eyes on your hotbars too much. Picking a more mobile job might be more beneficial to you in the end. Yes, it means going back and leveling and gearing those jobs, but in the long run, you may be better off for it, and feel less frustrated.
Playing: FF XIV, RDR2, Grim Dawn
PSN: soulidarity -- I don't accept random friend requests. If I know you, identify yourself.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Alright, how do I improve at this game?
  • Topic Archived