• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. How do you feel about the game's edification/praise of the Warrior of Light?

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
2 weeks ago#1
Is it enough? Too little? Too much? Hadn't really gave it any thought?

I just wanted to know what the opinions on the board were, especially since not all of the storyline characters foist accolades on your character. Some characters offer simple thank yous. Some question your character. And there are times when your character was not above suspicion of treachery or otherwise and times where you were outright rejected.
Currently playing - Hyper Light Drifter, Octopath Traveler, Crosscode, Battle Chasers - Nightwar, Undertale, FFXIV:SB

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
2 weeks ago#2
It's boring but its what male gamers want to hear in their narratives. Proving doubters of the week while being special.

This dark and light theme of 5.0 may hold some good substance, but I can't help but fear it's going to have some racist undertones: that having saved the light and better world, it's now on you to save the dark world from itself. That's a white christian narrative as old as recorded time.

And it's Japan so...I'm worried is all.

I suppose in gaming context, the plot and nuance is more substantive and complex than most.
They line up just to be knocked down on the fly. They never flee before the splatter.
Why stare down fate? I think you all know why: Running wouldn't matter.

User Info: Fir3Mage

Fir3Mage
2 weeks ago#3
benjjjamin posted...
It's boring but its what male gamers want to hear in their narratives. Proving doubters of the week while being special.

This dark and light theme of 5.0 may hold some good substance, but I can't help but fear it's going to have some racist undertones: that having saved the light and better world, it's now on you to save the dark world from itself. That's a white christian narrative as old as recorded time.

And it's Japan so...I'm worried is all.

I suppose in gaming context, the plot and nuance is more substantive and complex than most.

What is most of this post even? We're simply a stand up guy. We aren't some invincible one man army

Also what racist overtones? Using darkness instead of light to serve Hydaelyn has no such implications
The Better FFXIV GFAQs Discord
https://discord.gg/tvWrD7D

User Info: Payback85

Payback85
2 weeks ago#4
It would be more believable if the WoL had any kind of agency in the story instead of just being used by people like Alphinaud or Minfilia as dumb muscle.
Something about a Plague of Stars...

User Info: CuteObsidian

CuteObsidian
2 weeks ago#5
Since we do pretty much everything i'd expect more tbh.
I think I tolerate your hate, as long as you're afraid
All I wanted was to be with you and suffer every day

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
2 weeks ago#6
I have no idea where the idea of 'racist overtones' comes from, especially when the story is pushing for a balance of light and dark. It's not like we're marching off to some stand in for Africa to save them with our white culture or something.

On topic, it irks me. And it's everywhere. Evern doh and dol class quest even. Every job quest. We're so special we're so great we're the best yay WoL. It gets annoying. I wish they would tone it down.

User Info: Kaihedgie

Kaihedgie
2 weeks ago#7
I like it just fine. Considering all of the feats you accomplish, your reputation is well-deserved; you do what most others couldn't do even if they tried and you ask for little in return. After all, you defeated the Black Wolf, killed several implacable gods and puppetmasters and freed entire nations from war and strife. Why would you not be celebrated and your name spread across the entire realm?
"Oh hey look, it's Vegeta, the son of Trunks."
PSN and Nintendo Network: Kaihedgie

User Info: kafuin

kafuin
2 weeks ago#8
it really clashes when the questgiver knows we're the WOL and still gives us a bunch of mundane busywork. give me a primal to slay or an army to stop, not some rocks to carry.
http://imgur.com/QcvmYll | http://imgur.com/4lvxyF6

User Info: Kaihedgie

Kaihedgie
2 weeks ago#9
kafuin posted...
it really clashes when the questgiver knows we're the WOL and still gives us a bunch of mundane busywork. give me a primal to slay or an army to stop, not some rocks to carry.

You seem to be ignoring that there are plenty instances where other NPCs are standing next to you who will leave and either go do their own thing to coincide with your task or participate in the same task you're doing. I mean it does help to actually read the dialog boxes
"Oh hey look, it's Vegeta, the son of Trunks."
PSN and Nintendo Network: Kaihedgie

User Info: Fir3Mage

Fir3Mage
2 weeks ago#10
Kaihedgie posted...
kafuin posted...

You seem to be ignoring that there are plenty instances where other NPCs are standing next to you who will leave and either go do their own thing to coincide with your task or participate in the same task you're doing. I mean it does help to actually read the dialog boxes

This. If more people did that they'd know we also have a lot of help
The Better FFXIV GFAQs Discord
https://discord.gg/tvWrD7D
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. How do you feel about the game's edification/praise of the Warrior of Light?
  • Topic Archived