About to learn how to black mage

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. About to learn how to black mage

User Info: SavageMoon

SavageMoon
3 months ago#1
What are some tips I need to learn?

https://i.imgur.com/L5U1kp4.png

User Info: FlameMage

FlameMage
3 months ago#2
You need to plan out your positioning for every mechanic

User Info: el_tercer_poder

el_tercer_poder
3 months ago#3
Basically if it's your first time doing any content, then you gotta "play it safe" and learn its mechanics.
Once you do, then you start adapting/adjusting to maximize your damage output (depending on whether there's an opening and such).
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)

User Info: Sohma

Sohma
3 months ago#4
1.) Don't role-play just as a frost mage.

2.) Don't role-play just as a thunder mage.

3.) Don't role-play just as a fire mage.

4.) You're all three elements that...do absolutely no kind of elemental damage or resistance to monsters. You're not a Lulu.

5.) Practice the standard rotation on a training dummy until it's muscle memory for you.

6.) Pay close attention to ALL fights and start memorizing mechanic patterns and phase transitions because in order for you to be anywhere close to decent, you'll need to know these fights like the back of your hand. You'll need to know where and when to put Leylines down, when to hold things back for phase shifts, how to minimize your movement, etc.

7.) Spellspeed <-- Crit <--- Direct Hit is what you should be melding.

8.) Things like Swiftcast, Surecast, Lucid, Manashift, and Addle/Diversion should be on your damn bar at all times almost.

9.) Don't be that Black Mage that purposely stands in s***.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XJ_GAlRHI | https://youtu.be/jATOZhxX1CY
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/10351419/

User Info: SavageMoon

SavageMoon
3 months ago#5
Sohma posted...
1.) Don't role-play just as a frost mage.

2.) Don't role-play just as a thunder mage.

3.) Don't role-play just as a fire mage.

4.) You're all three elements that...do absolutely no kind of elemental damage or resistance to monsters. You're not a Lulu.

5.) Practice the standard rotation on a training dummy until it's muscle memory for you.

6.) Pay close attention to ALL fights and start memorizing mechanic patterns and phase transitions because in order for you to be anywhere close to decent, you'll need to know these fights like the back of your hand. You'll need to know where and when to put Leylines down, when to hold things back for phase shifts, how to minimize your movement, etc.

7.) Spellspeed <-- Crit <--- Direct Hit is what you should be melding.

8.) Things like Swiftcast, Surecast, Lucid, Manashift, and Addle/Diversion should be on your damn bar at all times almost.

9.) Don't be that Black Mage that purposely stands in s***.

thanks

User Info: robster_2005

robster_2005
3 months ago#6
FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE

BURN ALL THE THiiiings

Oh and did I mention fire?
"That would explain how she died. It wasn't old age; she just roundhouse-kicked herself in the back of the head" - ShadowWraith666

User Info: thanthen

thanthen
3 months ago#7
Two words: Surecast scrub
I'm gonna stab the s*** out of you. - Detective Castellanos, renown art critic.
https://imgur.com/gallery/b2BMIlF

User Info: IqarP15

IqarP15
3 months ago#8
Lvl 67 and can't beat the SB lvl 60 quest...
"SPOILERS"... If ppl call me a douche bag I reply "Well at least I'm scoring!"

User Info: Garmmermibe01

Garmmermibe01
3 months ago#9
I'm not a master black mage, but as everyone has already said, you need to know the fights well because you're a pretty stationary class. So, you obviously want to be doing the least amount of movement possible so as to increase your up time. BLM is more about knowing the fights than knowing the Job so far as I know.

Also, as Sohma said, as encouraging as it is for a BLM to stand in AoE's, don't f***ing do it. That's the whole point of knowing the fight; so you don't stand in AoE's.

Actually, don't f***ing stand in AoE's goes for every class. But, still. DON'T f***ING DO IT! If I catch you doing that while I'm pulling healing duty, guess what? I ain't f***ing healing!

Bad! No regens for you!

*Hits with rolled up newspaper*

Bad
If anyone is interested in a long peice of Evangelion fanfiction, you can find mine at- https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12033635/1/

User Info: DM_Shake

DM_Shake
3 months ago#10
Garmmermibe01 posted...
I'm not a master black mage, but as everyone has already said, you need to know the fights well because you're a pretty stationary class. So, you obviously want to be doing the least amount of movement possible so as to increase your up time. BLM is more about knowing the fights than knowing the Job so far as I know.

Also, as Sohma said, as encouraging as it is for a BLM to stand in AoE's, don't f***ing do it. That's the whole point of knowing the fight; so you don't stand in AoE's.

Actually, don't f***ing stand in AoE's goes for every class. But, still. DON'T f***ING DO IT! If I catch you doing that while I'm pulling healing duty, guess what? I ain't f***ing healing!

Bad! No regens for you!

*Hits with rolled up newspaper*

Bad

Who hurt you?
Shake's Pokemon Breeding Service: Can breed anything you want 100% Legit. PM for details.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. About to learn how to black mage

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived