The "Every Update" Gear Race Needs to Stop

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. The "Every Update" Gear Race Needs to Stop

User Info: Dstylez2

Dstylez2
1 week ago#1
And by that I mean that every update shouldn't have new gear (that looks the same) at a higher level to make your old gear obsolete. In FFXI when the cap was at 75 for years (before abyssea), gear never really became worthless like it does now. Instead people focused on getting new gear mainly because they liked to mix and match the gear sets for the ultimate combination, or simply get it for looks (all endgame gear looked unique).

The fact that all your hard work goes poof by the time the next update comes out really makes me not want to do any endgame content at all. Quality over quantity is what I say. Less gear sets, make them feel more special and unique, and let them have a longer lifespan.

Man I miss FFXI in its prime.
Pokemon SS friend code: 3868 0319 8173
Dstylez2 posted...
Instead people focused on getting new gear mainly because they liked to mix and match the gear sets for the ultimate combination, or simply get it for looks (all endgame gear looked unique).

For the former, that's pretty much the issue with the whole "horizontal vs. vertical progression" in terms of gear.
Not much can be done without resorting to an universally "accepted" mix/build of gear pieces, which is ultimately the main problem with "horizontal progression" (and let's be honest here: FF11 wasn't exactly the most "balanced" MMO out there).

For the latter, glamour exists and some sets are unique (ex. Binding/Second/Final Coil gear) enough for some to actually farm them for looks.
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Dstylez2

Dstylez2
1 week ago#3
el_tercer_poder posted...
Dstylez2 posted...
Instead people focused on getting new gear mainly because they liked to mix and match the gear sets for the ultimate combination, or simply get it for looks (all endgame gear looked unique).

some sets are unique (ex. Binding/Second/Final Coil gear) enough for some to actually farm them for looks.

They still look generic and like not much effort was put into them. Most sets are the same recycled content though. Again, i'm arguing for quality over quantity. I'm just not going to waste my time on something that doesn't feel rewarding to me.
Pokemon SS friend code: 3868 0319 8173

User Info: _SCOTSLAD

_SCOTSLAD
1 week ago#4
But gear in Xi had a purpose.

Gear in 14 does not have the same purpose.

In Xi you had charm set, heal set weapon skill set, ect ect. You needed all the element staves on BLM that sort of thing.
None of that exists in 14.

YoshiP said something about it before, the vicious circle of tome and gear grind I can't remember exactly.

But after abysea Xi all became the same gears anyways.
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."

User Info: Isilia

Isilia
1 week ago#5
It all comes down to how people like their progression. If you like horizontal, this game just won't be for you.

And you're welcome to enjoy either one.
http://i.imgur.com/JFYhdtk.gif | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2937700/

User Info: Dethuli

Dethuli
1 week ago#6
I know a guy who quit FFXIV to play Ragnarok Online.
Got a minute? You might learn something.

User Info: Fou Lu

Fou Lu
1 week ago#7
Yeah, since the birth of MMOs, they should totally stop adding gear in each new patch now.
I smolder with generic rage.

User Info: strred

strred
1 week ago#8
awww, come on. you don't like "<x> of slaying/maiming/fending/healing/casting/striking one millions times?

ooh, what about the recent zero effort relic weapon rehashes? ever wanted a relic? just buy it or have someone craft it for you!

no, i got it. good ol' "higher budget stormblood" reused levelling gear models! such effort.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
1 week ago#9
Horizontal progression kinds of players don't exist in important enough numbers to justify that archaic style of game any more. They disproportionately fall out into the crevices of the internet to whine. Makes it look like there are a lot, but there aren't enough to sustain a game.

Give it up.

That kind of man was left behind a long time ago.
Language warning:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: strred

strred
1 week ago#10
except it's still everywhere.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. The "Every Update" Gear Race Needs to Stop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Closed