are fates still the best way to level up?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. are fates still the best way to level up?

User Info: chicksboii

chicksboii
9 months ago#1
I'm trying to catch up to my friend however there is nobody else around me and i'm unable to solo the fates as an archer. Am i able to switch to my high level job and before the fate is finished, I can switch back to archer?

User Info: Azumininja

Azumininja
9 months ago#2
General rule: if you are a healer or tank, spamming the highest dungeon is fastest. For DPS, PotD is the fastest.

PvP also is/was very good, but apparently it was nerfed (slightly?) in 4.05. I don't have any PvP experience so I can't comment on the current levelling effectiveness of PvP.
"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over: an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

chicksboii
9 months ago#3
Azumininja posted...
General rule: if you are a healer or tank, spamming the highest dungeon is fastest. For DPS, PotD is the fastest.

PvP also is/was very good, but apparently it was nerfed (slightly?) in 4.05. I don't have any PvP experience so I can't comment on the current levelling effectiveness of PvP.

oh thank you! healer or tank spamming it is:) what does potd mean??

User Info: Azumininja

Azumininja
9 months ago#4
PotD is Palace of the Dead, a random generated dungeon. It can be unlocked via a sidequest in Quarrymill when you are lvl 17.
"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over: an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

User Info: RedMageStarfire

RedMageStarfire
9 months ago#5
This actually depends on what level you are. Until 60, it's fastest to level a tank or healer job by just spamming the highest-level dungeon you can access because tanks and healers have fast dungeon queues. For DPS jobs, it's faster to do the Palace of the Dead dungeon because it ignores the requirement for tanks and healers, so DPS can get in quite fast. The standard method is to spam the Floor 51 to Floor 60 section; if you have not unlocked Palace of the Dead, the quest is in Gridania somewhere, and you will need to clear Floors 1 to 50 before you can get to the good XP.

For levels 50 to 60, the repeatable daily Heavensward Beast Tribe Quests also give a respectable amount of XP, but that's once per day.

60 onwards however, while the fastest for tanks and healers is still dungeon spam, FATEs in the Stormblood areas can give bonus XP so it actually becomes somewhat worth it to do the bonus FATEs as well as the large boss FATEs if there are sufficient people to defeat it. Stormblood FATEs can also sometimes spawn a special enemy called a Forlorn Maiden that, when killed, gives a buff to all participants that boosts the XP earned from the next FATE.

As Azumininja said, Frontline PvP used to give about 12% of a level, but you now only earn 12% if your team wins, less when you lost, so it's been nerfed somewhat.

As for switching jobs for FATE XP, yes you can, but as you will be synced down to a level close to the FATE's level on a higher-level job, it's not really worth it to clear most of the FATE on a higher-level job, run away, then switch jobs and come back. If you're soloing then it's also impossible to do boss FATEs this way as the boss will reset back to full HP once you run away far enough to exit combat so that you can change jobs.
FFRK RW: Sentinel Grimoire (eH3e)

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
9 months ago#6
At low levels FATEs other than perhaps the ones you fight a boss should be easily soloable. You said Archer not Bard so I take it you are around level 15-25 as you can get level 10 easily with hunting logs and such. If you're mostly not able to complete FATEs and you're in that range you are doing something seriously wrong, like spamming an AoE attack and drawing aggro from 5 mobs instead of carefully downing 1 foe at a time.

Once you hit 30 and become a bard and unlock the chocobo as a battle companion, that will help a lot.

chicksboii
9 months ago#7
Alessar posted...
At low levels FATEs other than perhaps the ones you fight a boss should be easily soloable. You said Archer not Bard so I take it you are around level 15-25 as you can get level 10 easily with hunting logs and such. If you're mostly not able to complete FATEs and you're in that range you are doing something seriously wrong, like spamming an AoE attack and drawing aggro from 5 mobs instead of carefully downing 1 foe at a time.

Once you hit 30 and become a bard and unlock the chocobo as a battle companion, that will help a lot.

oh yeah!! i forgot about chicobo as a battle companion! i have a lvl 60 dragoon but my archer is level 10 can i still have the chocobo as my companion? thank you

chicksboii
9 months ago#8
bump

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
9 months ago#9
Of course. The chocobo is whatever level you are.

User Info: KTG2

KTG2
9 months ago#10
Use venomous bite. Strafe around the mob in a circle. Literally never die ever.
Now replaying: Grandia
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. are fates still the best way to level up?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived