• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Someone found a way to enhance the graphics

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
6 years ago#1
Well they made suggestion http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/enhance-your-graphics-visuals.1385/

User Info: Kaijuu

Kaijuu
6 years ago#2
Yeah, it's been around since alpha... We just need better configurations.
The above is not in all caps.

User Info: Lucavi000

Lucavi000
6 years ago#3
Unfortunately I can't seem to get SweetFX to work with FFXIV. No clue where I'm supposed to put the files. It crashes everytime I load it up.
i dont play singleplayer games too much. I beat it then quit it, like my exgirlfriends. -- Little Zardar

User Info: VobeDarkElf

VobeDarkElf
6 years ago#4
Figures this would come up sooner or later.

I have personally been experiementing with SweetFX for some months now. While it is very cool, I wouldn't recommend it to people.

There are a few problems. Firstly, the majority of SweetFX settings are really stupid features, like making the game look like an old photo, old TV show, old movie, old arcade game, and so on. Most of the settings you do NOT want to turn on.

Of the settings that you do want to enable, it's very easy to WAY overadjust, and the result can be seen in those screenshots that person posted. Higher contrast is great, but go too far and it can become difficult to see in dark areas. More vibrant colors is good too, but too much and you end up with ugly oversaturation, like that yellow ground in his last screenshot.

Finally, SweetFX's best feature is probably the SMAA. This is Anti-Aliasing done at the Shader level instead of filter. The result is very good looking AA, at almost no performance cost. HOWEVER, because all of these settings are fiddling with the *shader*, it's very easy to neutralize the SMAA effect by fiddling with the other SweetFX settings.

If you want to use SweetFX, go ahead and try it out, but my advice is to keep the settings simple. What I have come to use:

SMAA 1
Lumasharpen 1
Vibrance 1
Curves 1

Everything else leave at 0 (off) and don't change any of the individual settings. This makes any game look a little better, and the SMAA works fantastic.

VobeDarkElf
6 years ago#5
Okay, scratch that.

I finally tried SweetFX in FFXIV ARR, and I am not happy with the results. It does what you expect it to, and maybe people would prefer it that way, but I found a pretty irritating problem. As I said previously, I think the best feature of SweetFX is the high performance SMAA you get out of it. But in XIV, it has a nasty side effect of screwing up all the text in the game. It's still readable, but very ugly to look at. This includes both the chat window and NPC dialog boxes.

Meanwhile, the sharpness, color and contrast enhancements that usually make my other games look a lot nicer, didn't look that great to me in this game. It looked different more than it looked better. Maybe other people will tweak their settings a bit differently and find something they are happy with, but I for one feel XIV is better off without sweetfx in general.

User Info: Lucavi000

Lucavi000
6 years ago#6
Did you disable the games AA before you enabled SweetFX SMAA? Usually having 2 types of AA on at the same time really messes with things.
i dont play singleplayer games too much. I beat it then quit it, like my exgirlfriends. -- Little Zardar

VobeDarkElf
6 years ago#7
Oh yes, I made sure to do that.

But the fact is, this is one of the reasons games typically have their own built-in AA. Forcing AA by outside methods like your driver or directx (sweetfx) can screw up things like your in game text. In game AA options are tweaked so that side effects like that won't happen. However, that also typically means that the in-game AA looks terrible, because it is very toned down.

The XIV AA is a posterchild of that. It smooths some edges, but leaves a lot of jagged stuff.

User Info: macheteman

macheteman
6 years ago#8
FFXIV keeps crashing...I've put the SweetFX 1.4 files into both folders (one with the ffxivlauncher.exe and the folder with the ffxiv.exe), and the game crashes at title screen.

User Info: monterrey4ever

monterrey4ever
6 years ago#9
AA is not working for me using either nvidia settings or game settings. Using SweetFX was the only way I could make jaggies dissapear ; ;

User Info: macheteman

macheteman
6 years ago#10
AA is not working for me using either nvidia settings or game settings. Using SweetFX was the only way I could make jaggies dissapear ; ;

where did you put the files? im having trouble getting it to work without crashing.

edit: nevermind, downloaded the "new injector"...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Someone found a way to enhance the graphics
  • Topic Archived