• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. To those who are complaining that the IGLA is "overpowered" vs choppers....
Shotgunner 7 years ago#1
First, I want to make it perfectly clear this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to tell you how to play, what to do, etc. Just offering my 2 cents, that's all.

*Ahem* Ok, I've seen many people over the last month or so complain that the AA Launchers, specifically the IGLA, is vastly overpowered due to it's ability to circumvent flares/ECM. Both statements are, quite simply, not true.

Both the Stinger and the IGLA require 3 hits to actually kill a chopper. After 2, it enters the burning state, which, granted, is pretty much as good as killing the chopper as without an engineer it's going to crash and burn. However, the actual kill happens when it impacts something or the "health" hits 0.

Second, the tracking system for both the Stinger and Igla are different than they were in BF3. In the previous title, both were fire and forget launchers. This means lock on, fire, and go about the war.

The Stinger is the same as it was in BF3 - lock, fire and forget. The Igla, however, is now a passive radar launcher. This means the lock MUST be maintained until the missile hits - exactly like a passive radar missile for the stealth jets or laser guided missile for the attack jets.

It is NOT "circumventing" flares or ECM - the person using the Igla is just dropping the lock and waiting for you to move the chopper clear so that the lock can be reacquired. Sometimes this is after firing a shot, sometimes not.

If a shot HAD been fired, there is a chance that the missile will curve around and still strike once the lock has been reacquired. It all depends on where the missile was when the lock was lost as well as if it's still active aka hasn't hit anything or run out of fuel(the booster motor requires some fuel - and those mobile AA missiles don't have much of it). Figure it's a 50/50 chance that the first missile will curve back once the lock is re-established.

So there is no special ability to the Igla's popularity right now - it's just a dirty use of the launcher's lock requirement - and I freely admit to using it myself. However, with that said, I will try to help you with a few of my personal anti-Igla tactics that I've worked out. Please note that these are NOT perfect and 100% effective - but they HAVE giving me precious seconds that can spell the difference between a "land & repair" or a "bail out & possibly die".

"What can I do to counter it?"

Well, there are a few things you can try. The most obvious one is to put something between you and the person who fired the Igla, but this requires you to know fairly accurately WHERE he or she is, to prevent the "relock recurve missile" as I call it, if the first lock also involved a launch. Most of the time, you won't know exactly - but it's fairly safe to assume it's from your rear.

Drop down low - something as simple as a small hill is enough to break the lock. Do this when you dump flares - this gives you an additional advantage of keeping the flares between you and the person launching the Igla missiles. Unless they are directly behind you, however, this will not be as effective, but it will buy you an extra second or two to get into cover at the very least.

If you have ECM, it is much better as it is emitted from the middle of the chopper as opposed to dropping from underneath - giving you a few extra seconds of protection once it kicks off. And as it emits as a cloud like form, it offers a little more visual cover, especially from the rear. So if you've got ECM unlocked and you still are dicking around with flares, switch it.

*CONTINUED NEXT POST*
freelance social board - remember, TOU still applies!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/584789-haunted-house/71900469
Shotgunner 7 years ago#2
"But two hits = burning state and the chopper is lost! How about that smart a**?"

Burning state, as you put it, is not the same as "destroyed". Most of the time, you've got a few precious seconds to get to the ground, jump out and start torching IF you're an Engineer. As such, this particular part ONLY applies to you if you're playing an Engineer and you take two Igla/Stinger hits in a chopper.

When you take the second hit, don't panic. Yes, it's a little harder to control the chopper now - drop straight down IMMEDIETLY. Drop down as in lower your altitude, do NOT dive. By the time you're just above the ground you SHOULD have 3 or 4 left on the chopper's "life bar". Jump out and torch your a** off. To make this work, you need to switch over to the torch BEFORE you jump into the chopper prior to takeoff - when you exit, the torch will still be equipped, allowing for a quick recovery.

If you're down to 2 or 1 health, just bail - the chopper is a goner.

If you can get the circle up to 1/4 when repairing(the circule that appears when you're repairing something), you're out of the "danger zone" of the life bar(meaning the chopper's life bar will not keep decreasing on it's own) and you can get your a** to a more secure and safe area to fully repair the chopper, provided the flight there doesn't do it for you(via regen). KEEP IN MIND THAT AT 1/4th LIFE, ONE MISSILE WILL KILL YOU INSTANTLY.

"Um, what about taking revenge on the guy who shot at me! when do I get to frag him/her?"

Quite simply, you don't....right away. The purpose of following my advice is to save the chopper and save yourself, not seek instant revenge. Chances are they wasted 2 out of 5 missiles on you and you're back to full health if you've followed my advice - and if you can get them to waste the other three by breaking the locks after they fire.....well, you're sitting on a combat aircraft at that point, and all he/she can do is throw fecal matter and verbal insults at you....do I need to explain how you've just turned the tables?

The most important part of the advice and suggestions I am giving here is this - GO INTO TEST RANGE AND PRACTICE MANEUVERING ALL THREE OF THE CHOPPERS. Learn their strengths, weaknesses, and abilities as best as you can. Even the transports can turn the tables as mobile spawn points and minor fire support(via the door guns) - as long as they are airborne. Getting them shot down does NOT help your team. Practice, practice, practice. And practice some more.

I've pissed off many Igla users over the last 6 weeks with these tactics, and I'm not shot down as much by them anymore. I won't deny that I'll still occasionally lose a chopper here and there, but it's nowhere near what it was like when the Igla's popularity shot up. Roughly 1 out of 4 times that I am killed while being a chopper pilot is via Igla user, the rest are other aircraft or lucky tank shell / lucky anti tank launcher.

I'm not perfect, nor am I claiming to be a BF god or "pro" - but I AM a guy who likes to try new things ingame.....and sometimes the whacky stuff works better than anticipated.

Give the tips I listed a fair try and you should survive more often in choppers - at least when it comes to surviving a Igla user.
n7titan 7 years ago#3
I was just messing around with the 2nd lock on today, loads of fun looping the missile in circles. I don't know about the igla but the grounded anti vehicle missile turret has a rocket that will loop 3-4 times before running out of fuel. It's about 4-5 seconds to recenter on your target.
Realtalk_Clover 7 years ago#4
Im amused that you felt the need to make a PSA thread just for me.

Look, we are all entitled to our opinions - I'm not trying to take that away from anyone. But I have seen a pattern ever since COD:MW3(when I returned to playing online competitive FPS titles) up to BF4 - and that is basically this: if you're using it to kill people easily, it's perfectly fine. If other people use it to kill you, or otherwise deny you something in game(in this case, a chopper) then it is OP and should be nerfed. And that mindset is BS crybaby crap. Just MY opinion.

If you werent so blinded by rage, you would have saw that in my very first post in that thread i said that i was the one using the igla, not the one on the recieving end. This whole rant is irrelevant to the discussion.

I use it, it kills too easily, it is most definitely overpowered. There is really no reason to even consider using a stinger.

It is NOT "circumventing" flares or ECM - the person using the Igla is just dropping the lock and waiting for you to move the chopper clear so that the lock can be reacquired. Sometimes this is after firing a shot, sometimes not.

Cir·cum·vent
transitive verb

: to avoid being stopped by (something, such as a law or rule) : to get around (something) in a clever and sometimes dishonest way

Seems like a pretty accurate word to describe avoiding flares with clever use of the lockon mechanics.

If a shot HAD been fired, there is a chance that the missile will curve around and still strike once the lock has been reacquired. It all depends on where the missile was when the lock was lost as well as if it's still active aka hasn't hit anything or run out of fuel(the booster motor requires some fuel - and those mobile AA missiles don't have much of it). Figure it's a 50/50 chance that the first missile will curve back once the lock is re-established.

The chance is much higher than 50% if the igla user has any clue what they are doing. The rockets have a much longer timer than you think, its long enough to reload and still have a 2 second grace period to reacquire lockon.

Well, there are a few things you can try. The most obvious one is to put something between you and the person who fired the Igla, but this requires you to know fairly accurately WHERE he or she is, to prevent the "relock recurve missile" as I call it, if the first lock also involved a launch. Most of the time, you won't know exactly - but it's fairly safe to assume it's from your rear.

There are a fairly large group of maps where breaking line of sight isnt really a reliable option simply due to the layout of the map.
-

In the other thread you seemed pretty quick to judge most chopper pilots as bad, but dont seem to consider that the igla users that you do so well defending against may in fact be just as bad.
n7titan 7 years ago#5
Conceited much? Even if his post is a reaction to yours there's plenty of people who can benefit from this topic. And he wrote it I a good manner.

Calm down buddy
Realtalk_Clover 7 years ago#6
You might have a point, but just look at the thread title. He didnt make this thread to help people, he made it because i called igla overpowered, and he wanted to 'prove' me wrong.

He did give some good information in this thread however, that im sure will be of help, but that doesnt excuse his behaviour.
Slithcow01 7 years ago#7
The thing with the engineers repairing explains a lot for me. I was playing on the resort level and our whole team was trying to clear the roof where a squad, maybe two were heavily entrenched. Elevators were totally a moot point. And then the other team's chopper kept wiping us off when we got a foot hold. It wasn't a big deal cause we were winning anyway but just annoying. Anyhow, after i got killed by the chopper for a second time i thought i would hit him with the igla and drop him. Five shots later he's still in the air. What?! So now i know. It must have been an engineer or two in there. And good tips btw. I'll be sure to try them out.
--- PSN: Slithcow
GISM 7 years ago#8
Pretty sure you aren't the only one complaining that igla is OP. People just have to have an engineer with them. Then it's no problem. Chopper stay up all day
Shotgunner 7 years ago#9
Realtalk_Clover posted...
You might have a point, but just look at the thread title. He didnt make this thread to help people, he made it because i called igla overpowered, and he wanted to 'prove' me wrong.

He did give some good information in this thread however, that im sure will be of help, but that doesnt excuse his behaviour.

Let me clarify a few things:

#1) This topic was NOT made as a direct result of yours, RealTalk. I will not deny that it give me the IDEA to make this topic, but stop being conceited - this topic is, in no way, meant as any kind of response, direct or otherwise....or perhaps you'd like to point out where I directly mentioned you, at all, before this response? Please don't try to turn this into a flame war, as I'm currently sailing on the M/V MAJ. Bernard F. Fisher, and I don't exactly have much free time to keep debating this, so please - accept the above statement at face value so we can go about our respective business.

#2) I WILL ADMIT I was just going to go on a rant about people complaining it was OP and let it go at that, but I figured I'd share some of my counter IGLA tactics, though it IS geared more towards the newer players. I could have been a typical GameFAQs ranter and just cried - I instead chose to rant and give some advice, AS MOST OF THE PEOPLE I WAS REFERRING TO WHO SAY THE IGLA IS OP DON'T KNOW HOW TO COUNTER IT!

#3) @RealTalk - The only thing I need to ask you - do you realize how stupid you made yourself look by picking apart my original two posts AND twisting it to make it sound like I was directly attacking or responding to you? If I wanted to respond to you, I'd at least do it in your topic....which, if memory recalls, I did.

Word of advice - don't assume in the future and make such a long a** post in response - because when you assume wrong, you wind up looking like an a**, plain and simple.
n7titan 7 years ago#10
Realtalk_Clover posted...

This response still sounds conceited to me, especially when he never mentioned your name. You're definitely not the only one complaining about the AA rockets, that was old hat in bf3.

As far as proving you wrong the only thing that sounds remotely like that is just the title; specifically the ellipses. That's it. If you never came into this topic like that the though would never have crossed my mind.
  1. Boards
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. To those who are complaining that the IGLA is "overpowered" vs choppers....
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
phantom assignmentszTroNxZ16/19/2019

GameFAQs Q&A