• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Beyond: Two Souls
  3. If more devs or game makers or whatever theyre called were like David Cage...

User Info: ratboy423

ratboy423
7 years ago#1
...games would be so much better. This man knows what makes a great story and game. Now this Beyond look intresting but I'm still skeptical of having Jodie or something as the protagonist. But what he's trying and has done in the past is what everyone else should learn from.

Sure some games are meant for mindless action but ones that are focused on story should learn from him.

Say what you want about Heavy Rain and it not being a game. I have never felt more connected to those characters than I have any other game. Why? Because they were just like me. Normal people trying to live their lives.

I applaud Cage for his efforts at attemting to do things different and his own way.

User Info: sheridanmoviegu

sheridanmoviegu
7 years ago#2
I definitely wouldn't want David Cage as a trend setter. He's fine where he is. He makes some interesting games, but nowhere near what I'd call my favorite.

And before we start running away with the compliments, David Cage isn't that great of a storyteller. He has lofty ideas and a creative personality, but he has a lot of...let's say weaknesses when it comes to writing. I mean, there's so many things I could go in to just with Heavy Rain alone.

That said, I still enjoy his games on a creative level. But I certainly don't want them to be the benchmark by which the industry is set. David Cage's games are only really interesting because they're different, and the moment people start doing more of that is the moment they become ordinary.
If HK-47 and GLaDOS had a child, the awesome character they create would cause the video game world to explode. Join the Revengers! (board#: 587986)

User Info: aj4x94

aj4x94
7 years ago#3
sheridanmoviegu posted...
I definitely wouldn't want David Cage as a trend setter. He's fine where he is. He makes some interesting games, but nowhere near what I'd call my favorite.

And before we start running away with the compliments, David Cage isn't that great of a storyteller. He has lofty ideas and a creative personality, but he has a lot of...let's say weaknesses when it comes to writing. I mean, there's so many things I could go in to just with Heavy Rain alone.

That said, I still enjoy his games on a creative level. But I certainly don't want them to be the benchmark by which the industry is set. David Cage's games are only really interesting because they're different, and the moment people start doing more of that is the moment they become ordinary.

I agree with all of this. I thoroughly enjoyed both Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, but both had their share of flaws. He should get someone to look over hi scripts before shooting, if you ask me.

He has come a long way though.
Shall I give you dis pear?
Currently playing: Legend of Dragoon, FFVII, Catherine, Silent Hill Downpour.

ratboy423
7 years ago#4
I didn't say he makes the best or tells the best story. But its his vision. If more devs were like him, trying something new, being creative, games would be more than just shooting Russians.

sheridanmoviegu
7 years ago#5
ratboy423 posted...
I didn't say he makes the best or tells the best story. But its his vision. If more devs were like him, trying something new, being creative, games would be more than just shooting Russians.

There are more creatives directors out there than you think. Just because Call of Duty sells a lot of copies does not mean this is the only place in the gaming industry that innovation and creativity exist. I could name several that I think are more talented and produce better material than David Cage.

Again, this isn't insulting David Cage. I tend to like his stuff. I'm just saying he's not some oasis in the middle of the desert. There are more creative people in gaming than you think.
If HK-47 and GLaDOS had a child, the awesome character they create would cause the video game world to explode. Join the Revengers! (board#: 587986)

ratboy423
7 years ago#6
Fair enough. I guess vision or ambition is what I like about Cage. He's willing to do things his own way. There's too much of the same things now. FPS, Fantasy RPGs, Open World action.

Yes some people are more creative and make better games but I think Cage as he has stated wants the players to be emotionally connected to the characters and story. Whether he succeeds or not is in the eye of the player. I personally think with IP and HR he did. The Fable series tried this and failed.

sheridanmoviegu
7 years ago#7
Fable tried emotional connection? I guess, they tried. I don't think anyone ever really thought they'd succeed. People have a way of curbing their expectations when Peter Molyneux is concerned.

I think other companies have pulled off emotional attachment, though. Not Molyneux, certainly, but others have been successful. I wouldn't say I was overly attached to the characters of Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy, either.

Of course, that's a total relative statement. There are plenty that were, I'm sure.

ratboy423
7 years ago#8
Molyneux is another good example. Great ideas. But he doesn't execute it properly. Idk if its just how he speaks or if his ideas just sound so amazing. Can't deny that it sounds good.

The only games recently that I've felt any emotion towards would be Ethan in HR, Snake, Drake and Sulley, and the characters from Nier. Maybe Garrs and Thane from ME. No others though.

However Ethan is the one I can relate to the most. Since he's a regular guy dealing with an incredible amount of stress and fear. So I can understand what that must be like. Unlike someone like Snake who although a great character, I can't relate to him since I am not a badass.

User Info: J5_isAlive

J5_isAlive
7 years ago#9
I am a huge fan of David Cage. His vision is definitely not everyone's thing, I admit. If more developers were as visionary AS him, even if not necessarily in the same way, it would indeed be a very awesome thing. Beyond is my most anticipated game until it comes out. Can't wait!
And the moral of the story is, appreciate what you've got, because basically, I'm fantastic. - Holly

User Info: masterbarf

masterbarf
7 years ago#10
cage seems to understand that better graphics and tech dont just make explosions look cooler but allow for the subtle details that can really make each generations games better than the last. eg: the kara demo was the most impressive thing ive seen all generation. facial expression is a wealth of information. thats the type of stuff thats immersive.
  1. Boards
  2. Beyond: Two Souls
  3. If more devs or game makers or whatever theyre called were like David Cage...
  • Topic Archived