You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Xillia 2
  3. Ludger, Like or Dislike

User Info: Kaeaja

Kaeaja
2 months ago#1
Do you like or dislike Ludger and why?

Basically as the question states, do you like Ludger or dislike him as far as combat goes?

User Info: Kaeaja

Kaeaja
2 months ago#2
I feel as far as story goes he is interesting, the Chromatis Transformation is certainly cool.

However I dislike him greatly as far as combat goes because there is literally no reason to really play any of the other characters, largely due to the fact that enemies now have resistances to a character's Weapon. This can make characters who use Swords, like Milla, really terrible to use against enemies resistant to Swords, and in that same situation that same enemy can also be resistant to most if not all of Milla's Spirit Artes.

But Ludger? He has no such disadvantage, he has Dual Swords for Slash damage, a Hammer for Blunt damage and Dual Guns for Shot damage, this alone gives him the ability to counter any sort of weapon resistance by using a weapon the enemy is not resistant to and he can switch weapons on the fly with absolutely no cooldown time.

He also has access to virtually every element for the purpose of attacking, so much like his weapons, he has an Element enhanced attack to counter any Elemental resistance and each of his weapons have a plethora of Artes.

He also does high amounts of damage with as great of an ease as Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia, and is a fast runner so he can pretty much run to evade most if not all attacks.

Simply put, there is no situation he cannot handle, the only thing he doesn't really have is healing capability, he has some but it sucks compared to Elize's healing and even Milla's Undine summon manages to do better then what Ludger's healing move can do (as I recall).

Then there is his Chromatis Transformation, which makes an already powerful character even MORE powerful to the point of absolute absurdity, and while I said Yuri Lowell was incredibly easy to do large amounts of damage really fast, at least Yuri wasn't as broken as Ludger

So why play any other character in combat when there is no way for an enemy to be resistant to anything he does? I can understand Ludger being this strong if it were a single player game with Ludger being the ONLY playable character, cause that would make sense, but this is not a single player game and Ludger is not the only playable character.....

That said, none of his advantages would be as bad, if enemies didn't have resistances to Weapons and if they weren't able to be elementally resistant to Spirit Arte a Caster could put out.....

Edit: I stopped playing largely because of how stupid it is that Weapon Resistances are a thing in this game and because Ludger has virtually no downside when it comes to anything combat wise, just made the game boring. Xillia 1 will always be better. Even Tales of Berseria and Tales of Zesteria don't annoy me this much :/
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Yggdrasille

Yggdrasille
2 weeks ago#3
I like him as Victor character-wise, in combat I much prefer using Milla/Rowen/Gaius, but his dual blade style is pretty badass too.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Ygdrasille.png
Favourite games: Tales of Xillia 1/2, Trails of Cold Steel 1/2, Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile 2
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Xillia 2
  3. Ludger, Like or Dislike