• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Regarding the specifics of encountering the Fiends

User Info: Ridleyclone7296

Ridleyclone7296
1 month ago#1
Does anyone know precisely when the random number determining the Fiend appearance is re-rolled? I've been going at it for a while now with little luck (only found Trumpeter) and am thinking of using an emulator to speed things up, but am afraid I will accidentally keep trying with the same number. The idea is to use a save state on the map (or in front of the elevator for Red Rider), enter the location they spawn in, run up to the spawn point and then reload the save state if they don't appear instead of reloading normally. Is there anyone who has a reason to believe this shouldn't work?

Also, a final semi-related question. I actually did manage to find Red Rider once but had misunderstood how their spawning worked and declined so that I could save, which of course cancelled the spawn (I know about the "Charon trick" now). I have since then however not managed to find him again despite hours of trying, so while I'm kind of sort of extremely sure I just have bad luck, I just want to make extra sure declining doesn't permanently despawn him or something.
STOP CLONING ME!
3DS FC: 2105 - 8728 - 6264

User Info: Reltaw

Reltaw
4 weeks ago#2
Ridleyclone7296 posted...
Does anyone know precisely when the random number determining the Fiend appearance is re-rolled? I've been going at it for a while now with little luck (only found Trumpeter) and am thinking of using an emulator to speed things up, but am afraid I will accidentally keep trying with the same number. The idea is to use a save state on the map (or in front of the elevator for Red Rider), enter the location they spawn in, run up to the spawn point and then reload the save state if they don't appear instead of reloading normally. Is there anyone who has a reason to believe this shouldn't work?

Also, a final semi-related question. I actually did manage to find Red Rider once but had misunderstood how their spawning worked and declined so that I could save, which of course cancelled the spawn (I know about the "Charon trick" now). I have since then however not managed to find him again despite hours of trying, so while I'm kind of sort of extremely sure I just have bad luck, I just want to make extra sure declining doesn't permanently despawn him or something.

Nah,you can reroll him again.
And using an emulator can help since you can speed it up the game but using save states would NOT work how you described. Fiends only have a chance of spawning everytime you load up a save slot. So if you save stated before the elevator & ran to him it wouldn't accomplish anything if you reloaded the save state.

You could save state before you click on a save slot & try from there. Also the Fiends have a 1/256 chance of spawning & it just comes down to luck & patience.In addition, with Red Rider it's best to be outside the elevator instead of on the map.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ReverofEnola

User Info: Ridleyclone7296

Ridleyclone7296
4 weeks ago#3
Reltaw posted...
Nah,you can reroll him again.
And using an emulator can help since you can speed it up the game but using save states would NOT work how you described. Fiends only have a chance of spawning everytime you load up a save slot. So if you save stated before the elevator & ran to him it wouldn't accomplish anything if you reloaded the save state.

You could save state before you click on a save slot & try from there. Also the Fiends have a 1/256 chance of spawning & it just comes down to luck & patience.In addition, with Red Rider it's best to be outside the elevator instead of on the map.
Thanks a lot! :D
STOP CLONING ME!
3DS FC: 2105 - 8728 - 6264
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Regarding the specifics of encountering the Fiends
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A