• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Beginner Skill question (Magic MC build)

User Info: MarquisOndore

MarquisOndore
2 months ago#1
Haven't played this game much before and decided to go for a magic build yet again on my new run that I'll hopefully finish.

One of the questions that bug me is how to build MC early on. Currently, he's got 5 skill slots (could've had 6 if I'd prioritised him before giving the demons an additional slot; not sure if I regret it) and he runs all four elements as well as a Gun skill to penetrate a fifth weakness. Obviously, without Str or Dex investments, the arrow skill is weak and questionable in taking up its place.

My other options for the fifth slot right now include Dia, buffs/debuffs including a lucky Dekunda that mutated which I have on a couple of my demons instead, and multi-hit physical skills which physically tanky demons don't have nearly enough MP to spam liberally.

As my skill slots continue to expand, how should you plan MC's skill progression? What paths are there to be taken?
Capt. Basch fon Ronsenburg, for Incitement of Sedition and the Assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found Guilty of High Treason and put to his Death.

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
2 months ago#2
equip a gun element +ailment bullet to cover your gun needs.

4 slots take up 4 element spells. upgrade to tier 1 ma- spells and it can last you until late game.
the difference between t1 maragi and t2 maragion is merely +20 damage and +9 mp cost but dropping from +8 back to +0 is a loss of 24 damage and 2 mp cost reduction. unless you demon whisper back quickly, it is fine using maragi.

21-23: energy drain. get from chupacabra. this is useful for mp management in early game but because it is capped, i dropped it later. optional.

30-33: megido. get from thoth. useful against tenkai. may be replaced by antichton.
30-33: doping. get from thoth. with +30% maxhp buff, balanced growth become more tankish for bosses while their mp is naturally higher than physical growth. optional.
37-40: concentrate. get from king frost.

49-51: debilitate. get from alice. may be replaced with antichton.

xx: spirit focus. dlc only.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI

User Info: MarquisOndore

MarquisOndore
1 month ago#3
Thanks for the response!

What will replace the basic MT spells? I've got them at +7 by now, so I might as well keep them until the next best replacement arrives. The fact that they save so much MP can't be ignored.

I actually got Concentrate before lv. 10 from a mutation. Not sure what the game would've been like without it; probably much harder.

Also giving MC Media, Recarm, the MP drain skill (is the HP/MP-draining one better than the one that drains only MP?) and he basically runs out of skills here. Didn't give him a gun skill since he gets a basic attack for free, and you can target that one for AoE too.
Capt. Basch fon Ronsenburg, for Incitement of Sedition and the Assassination of H.R.M. King Raminas, has been found Guilty of High Treason and put to his Death.

Cogito
1 month ago#4
t4 thunder reign. it deals 60 more base damage than mazio so that's about 40 more mag stat and it's only 22 mp, 2 more than t2 mazionga. odin and some others has thunder reign.

RT skills may have potential damage for bossing as each hit adds demon whisper's bonus damage, which is 24 damage per hit at +8. however, i find them unreliable for mobbing. not to mention ma- spells hit horde types several times, which is why i value ma- spells over single target.

User Info: Exa_Man

Exa_Man
1 month ago#5
Great tips as always, Cogito. :)

So how does one fuse/create a Thoth?
Not changing this sig until Disney surprises us with: STAR WARS: The Emperor's New Groove (or Force) or Capcom releases MM Legends 3 which is just as likely. :(

Cogito
1 month ago#6
pele x heqet.
or spriggan x tam lin

User Info: Exa_Man

Exa_Man
1 month ago#7
Thanks dude, Thoth is definitely one of the better early game demons I've had the pleasure of controlling. Now I'm thinking about bringing him along with me to the preliminary tournament! Is this a good idea?
Not changing this sig until Disney surprises us with: STAR WARS: The Emperor's New Groove (or Force) or Capcom releases MM Legends 3 which is just as likely. :(
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Beginner Skill question (Magic MC build)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A