• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Too late to change build?

User Info: Kazmahu

Kazmahu
3 months ago#1
So I'm finally getting around to playing this game for the first time and initially I was going for a physical build, figuring I could let my demons handle elemental damage. This is turning out to be a mistake as I understand Press Turn more and more, so I figure I should focus on magic instead to give my Flynn more options. I'm currently up to the fight with two Nagas, level 6 with 17 st 18 dx 10 ma 12 ag 10 lu. Should I start over while I haven't got much to lose or can I salvage this but just going heavy on ma from now on?

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
3 months ago#2
if you want to switch, it's fine. i can even use tier 1 magic until endgame.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI

User Info: astralmeson

astralmeson
2 months ago#3
Even for a physical build, you should still be running magic throughout Naraku. IMO, still stick with a physical build overall. There just aren't good physical skills and you don't have the options that make it good in the mid-lategame or enough stats for it to scale. You want stuff like Bufu, Agi, Zio in addition to your "standard" phys or gun skills like Needle shot.

Keep elemental skills, later buffs, etc. on your character. You're using them for the press turns. Raising the magic stat early in the game is only a minor boost to the damage of the spells. Even with a physical build, you can wreck early Naraku stratum demons with low level magic from demon whisper.

Additionally, while the standard recommendation for either magic or physical builds are Ma/Dx + 3, Ag + 1, Lu + 1 every level, it's actually preferable to go +5 Ag for your first level or two just to.

User Info: Kazmahu

Kazmahu
2 months ago#4
Thanks for the advice! I've decided to stay the course and make a Dx-focused physical build, but snapping up the basic elemental spells is helping immensely (having just finished the forest, I'm running the four elements plus needle shot). Given the relative dearth of interesting phys skills I'm guessing a physical build is a case of difficult early game that pays off later once I get demons who can whisper the more powerful stuff, and Flynn can always buffbot if something is immune to physical. Thanks again guys!

User Info: astralmeson

astralmeson
2 months ago#5
Kazmahu posted...
Thanks for the advice! I've decided to stay the course and make a Dx-focused physical build, but snapping up the basic elemental spells is helping immensely (having just finished the forest, I'm running the four elements plus needle shot). Given the relative dearth of interesting phys skills I'm guessing a physical build is a case of difficult early game that pays off later once I get demons who can whisper the more powerful stuff, and Flynn can always buffbot if something is immune to physical. Thanks again guys!

Yup. Realize that physical builds is still "two" elements of coverage, Gun and Physical, where magic is four. Everything gets moved to Almighty later- Desperate Hit is the multi-hit "physical" Almighty-element move in the lategame which specifically gets insane because physical skills can Crit and magic can't. For a physical build, your remaining skill slots end up spent on support skills like Doping (temporary Max HP gain in battle for the entire party), Luster Candy (partywide all buffs by 1 level), Charge (cheap spell, 2.5x damage on your next attack), etc.

Once you finish the upcoming first "major" Naraku boss, you get a Gun that works like your default sword/Attack move and always lets you use Gun element attacks. And once you finish the second Naraku boss, the next shop you hit will have elemental bullets that freely change the element of that gun attack to the 4 elements outside of battle, letting you easily swap around for press turns if you know a weakness ahead of time.

IMO, keep Bufu and Zan on Flynn early on if you can, since that helps with the two 'hard' bosses in Naraku. Or whisper Buffs to him so the party can stay alive.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
2 months ago#6
if using physical flynn, you can give him fang breaker to inflict tarunda.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Too late to change build?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A